Innovative Marine Aquariums

Daves Shallow SPS 35g

DaveFason

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update!

Well no pictures but some cool stuff that is going on. I am going to be picking up a Assessor this week from the LFS. In the process I want to destroy my Blenny! He nips at my SPS and puts them through hell and back. If I could have a dart gun I would take him out now! So I am going to try and see what I can do. Its driving me crazy.

UPGRADE!!! Well not really soon but I am thinking this March/April. I have started on the stand so its under way! It will look just like a ELOS stand. I am going to build a 48x20x16 acrylic tank with a euro-brace and external overflow. The only big difference is I may buy all new BRS dry Fiji rock and just transfer the corals over.

48x20x16 Tank

MP40

MP20

Eheim 1250

2 - BRS Dosers

iTech 100

Tunze 6025 in sump

Sunpower 48" 4 bulb

Its all set in stone so its just time to build. I will just turn this thread into the upgrade as I get closer. The thing I am most excited about is the livestock I will be able to have :)

Plans are...

10 Glass Eyed Cardinals

Power Blue Tang

Tinkeri Butterfly

Flasher Wrasse

Current Clown

Assessor

Multiple Trimmas and Eviotas

Goby Shrimp Pair

Hope I did not bore you but I promise it will be worth the wait!

-Dave

NICE.

Just speaking from my experience with dry rock... be sure to let it settle for a long time.

It took me something like 3 months to cycle properly. :/

NICE.

Just speaking from my experience with dry rock... be sure to let it settle for a long time.

It took me something like 3 months to cycle properly. :/

Took me about the same amount of time while dosing a crapload of ammonia!

Sounds like some big changes are in the works Dave. Should be something special once it all comes together for you.

For me, I went with about 95% BRS EcoRox and never really ran into any issues with cycling, etc. I did give the tank a good month and a half of just running with no livestock just to make sure.

I've been incredibly happy with going with dry rock though....with the past rock related pests I've had in past tanks, it just gave me that piece of mind that I wouldn't have to deal with Vermitids or Neomeris unless they came in on frags.

-Adam

Yep! I am excited too. It sounds like a much larger tank but it should only be around 60-70 total gallons.

I've never used dry rock but how will it go through its cycle? I am thinking of just throwing it in a tank with a heater and powerhead and just let it go. Will this work?

-Dave

P.S - Talk about the deal of the year. I found a local guy that had a MP40 laying around. It needs a new wet side but I grabbed it for 100$!!! So 175 for a MP40. :D

Oh and a side not. I sent copps from RC a PM about angels and a few other fish related questions. He sends me a PM back asking what my telephone number is. So I am eagerly awaiting his call. I just thought that was really cool for someone with his status just to say " I'll give you a call, whats your number?".

-Dave

For the EcoRox, I just dropped it all in the tank with a heater, MP20, and lighting and just let nature do it's thing. I used "live sand" and a handful of sand from PodRod's tank before she took it down so that no doubt helped to move things along.

Great deal on the MP40...how do you come across these things? Must be nice to have a active local forum.

That's really cool that he told you he would call and chat. I had a similar experience when I first started reefing with someone on RC. PM'd back and forth a bit and then he told me to just give him a ring. Pretty cool to talk reefing with someone on the opposite side of the country :)

-Adam

Thanks guys. I will put some more up today. My girlfriend and I just bought some new furniture so off to moving that in and back to saving money for the new tank :)

I am looking into maybe building the tank out of glass but we will see. Hopefully I can get some quotes and compare them to my acrylic guys down the road. I wonder how thick I would need the tank to be if I wanted to go rimless acrylic.......;)

-Dave

Oh and a side not. I sent copps from RC a PM about angels and a few other fish related questions. He sends me a PM back asking what my telephone number is. So I am eagerly awaiting his call. I just thought that was really cool for someone with his status just to say " I'll give you a call, whats your number?".

-Dave

Yeah that's REALLY cool. So what did you ask him and what did he say? :D

Uhuru - He should be calling tomorrow sometime. I plan on asking him about keeping my reef around 74-76 degrees if not a little lower for the fish. I've read a few articles about fish in cooler conditions having a better metabolism and just being more healthy. I also had a few questions about a few Angels and Butterflys for the new tank. I really want the new tank to be as intricate as possible and I want to make sure to ask the best!

As for the tank... My blenny is taking my Red Planet out. I have tried to capture/catch/anything. He is the DEVIL and I wish I could destroy that fish! It will peck at most of my stonys and stress them to NO end. Things still look awesome but I know it would be better without him. This may be the end of me! :rant:

Here's some photo's that I took today. I'm getting a little better with the point and shoot and the white balance and all that camera talk. I hope to pick up a new DLSR soon to keep up with all you guys. The Setosa, Undata and Mummy Eye turned out as my favorites. :D

One Eyed Bandit

IMG_4081-vi.jpg

Undata

IMG_4077-vi.jpg

Bonsai & Superman

IMG_4072-vi.jpg

Setosa

IMG_4070-vi.jpg

Eagle Eyes & 24K

IMG_4068-vi.jpg

LPS Garden

IMG_4069-vi.jpg

Mummy Eye

IMG_4075-vi.jpg

-Dave

The fiji is AWESOME.

Dhaut - the hermit has been around for 4+ years. Just holding it down and has been through some braveheart battles.

-Dave

After reading I may just stick with a corner. People say its a little safer?

Cool Growth Shot

June - When I first got it.

IMG_3390-vi.jpg

IMG_3546-vi.jpg

IMG_3546-vi.jpg

IMG_3687-vi.jpg

IMG_3751-vi.jpg

IMG_3846-vi.jpg

IMG_3931-vi.jpg

IMG_4058-vi.jpg

IMG_4069-vi.jpg

Hope you like.