ReefCleaners.org

T5HO Information

Weetabix7

Hi everyone! I love the look of T5s on all your tanks. I am really considering going with T5s for my 72 bowfront which currently is running 4 46.5" VHOs (not much available color wise). Do you think replacing with 4 T5s with individual reflectors would be a good upgrade? I was thinking of the hellolights hood. I know it's a deeper tank so I am wondering if more light would be needed. Current coral livestock are mushrooms, polyps, kenya tree, and hammer. I'm not hard set on using the T5s for SPS or clams but I would like my current (and future) corals to have that wonderful color. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Just picked up a used Tek light. 36" 4x39. seems to be an older model. Instead of one switch controlling the outside lamps, and the other switch the inner ones, each switch controls two lamps next to each other. Also the reflector are true individual reflectors, unlike the one piece bent like my current Tek. I will be going with two ATI aqua blue special, one blue plus, and one KZ fiji purple.

Ok guys i know this may sound dumb so please bear with me im getting ready to do a retrofit on my red sea max and am pulling out the 2 55 watt PC bulbs and will be going with a combo of 4 t5ho's and 24 led's

My main question is this....taking the led's out of the equation since i will have the t5's in the fixture before the led's are the 88 watts of light from the t5's going to give me a better par/lumen output than i am currently getting with the power compact bulbs that are in there>?

each t5 will have its own individual reflector BTW

care to elaborate?...just a little

T5s have a greater "luminous efficacy" (lumens per watt) than Power Compact bulbs. So, you're getting more light for a given watt, and that coupled with good reflectors (benefiting from the thin T5 tube shape) allows T5s to rival MH in lighting.

T5s have a greater "luminous efficacy" (lumens per watt) than Power Compact bulbs. So, you're getting more light for a given watt, and that coupled with good reflectors (benefiting from the thin T5 tube shape) allows T5s to rival MH in lighting.

even considering the RSM uses a funky kinda compact>?

would i still benefit even though its less wattage

althought like i said i will have 24 luxeon rebel led's as well

So im getting ready to retrofit 4 t5ho bulbs and 24 3 watt luxeon rebel leds into my red sea max hood you think that will be plenty of light to grow any type of coral that i want?

I am trying to avoid going with halides because i have them on my 65 gallon and i would like to keep the stock hood on my tank without going the nanotuners route

I just turned on my 150w MH fixture w/Phoenix 14k bulb on over my tank for the first time since I got my T5HO fixture, and I am amazed at how much nicer everything looks under my T5HO!!!

T5HO is SOOOO much nicer, I don't think I'm ever going back to MH.

I feel like I've stumbled on some little-known secret or something since T5HO has been discussed so little before this, it's always "MH is the best light EVAR".

Well lemme tell ya, IMO T5HO ROCKS!!!!

And I'm even using what is widely accepted as one of the better MH bulbs, a Phoenix 14k.

The colors just POP so much better under my T5HO and I'm seeing good growth as well, on Softies and SPS.

Good to hear, Weetie! I'm actually afraid sometimes that I have too much PAR. I'd like to get a meter to check it out, but I generally have a difficult time acclimating things to the light level in my tank. I have to use some screen every time!

I worry about the same thing sometimes BK.

By the end of my photoperiod (which is 8 hrs), I usually have lil bubbles all over from the amount of photosynthesis taking place.

Didn't get that with MH.

I just turned on my 150w MH fixture w/Phoenix 14k bulb on over my tank for the first time since I got my T5HO fixture, and I am amazed at how much nicer everything looks under my T5HO!!!

T5HO is SOOOO much nicer, I don't think I'm ever going back to MH.

I feel like I've stumbled on some little-known secret or something since T5HO has been discussed so little before this, it's always "MH is the best light EVAR".

Well lemme tell ya, IMO T5HO ROCKS!!!!

And I'm even using what is widely accepted as one of the better MH bulbs, a Phoenix 14k.

The colors just POP so much better under my T5HO and I'm seeing good growth as well, on Softies and SPS.

I am with you...I will never use MH again..Colors are so much nicer with T5..and almost ZERO heat