inTank Media Baskets

T5HO Information

Weetabix7

if I dont like it I am going to get a Giessman Actnic plus and a ATI Aquablue special to replace the other to stock lamps

Honestly, I think that would probably be too blue, unless you like it REALLY blue.

maybe 2 Aquablue Special and no actinic

That would probably give you like an 18-20k look.

You really should consider popping a Fiji Purple into the mix, they do an unbelievable job of bringing out reds and oranges and just giving a really nice POP to the colors.

I see what you meant weet. Thanks for the uploads. I'm anxious to see it with one less figi and +1 aquablue

Okay, so I've decided I'm sticking with the combo of 2 Blue+, 1 Fiji Purple and 1 Aquablue.

It still has a blueish look, kinda 16-17k I guess, but the Fiji Purple bulb really makes the colors PoP.

I'm sorry I've been slow about this, but I'll try to get pics up later today.

They may not be as good as some of the pics others have posted, I'm still trying to figure out the best way to get good representative pics under this kinda light fixture.

I am not really into the purple/redish spectrum..i like blue

The Fiji Purple bulb does not make the light output look purple or red at all, it just makes red, pink, orange colors on corals or fish really POP and fluoresce.

The bulbs with blue in them really make green colors fluoresce.

I only have one yellow coral in my tank (yellow zoas), but they look pretty good under the light combo I'm using as well.

The Fiji Purple bulb does not make the light output look purple or red at all, it just makes red, pink, orange colors on corals or fish really POP and fluoresce.

The bulbs with blue in them really make green colors fluoresce.

I only have one yellow coral in my tank (yellow zoas), but they look pretty good under the light combo I'm using as well.

I know everyone is changing bulbs to get the colors that they like, but the corals happiness is the most important part. The blue spectrum penetrates far down into the water and will bring out the greens is corals. the red spectrum doesnt penetrate as far down and brings out the reds/pinks. So think about that with coral placement and how they grow on the reefs. Weeties combo is the best ( IMO) to cover all. The blue plus has high par and a nice blue color. the figi purple along with the aquablue provides the daylight spectrum along with bringing out the reds in the corals.

Some excellent points dt, and glad I got something right on my bulb combo, since I'm still very much learning about T5!

You still need a Fiji Purple? PM me if so.

Okay, finally got pics under the new bulb combo.

As warned, these are not the best pics, still gotta learn what camera settings work best with this light fixture and I was kinda in a hurry, so sorry for that.

These are taken under: (front to back)

ATI Blue+

ATI Aquablue Special

KZ Fiji Purple

ATI Blue+

IMG_3113.jpg

IMG_3116.jpg

The coral colors are actually brighter in real life under this combo than what it shows in the pics. The pics show the level of blue about right though.

For comparison purposes, here are the pics shot under the last combo, 2 Blue+ and 2 Fiji Purple:

IMG_3086.jpg

IMG_3077.jpg

Whatcha shooting with Weet? With so many light temperature (i.e. 10k, 14k, 20k, etc.), getting the white balance absolutely "right" will be impossible. Most cameras have very generic white balance settings like Daylight, Fluorescent, Indoor, Shade, etc. Absolutely accurate white balance is over rated anyway. You know what your tank looks like, just try a few different white balance settings and use the one that looks most accurate.

Now if you're shooting with a DSLR or some camera that lets you save images in the camera as RAW or NEF files, then Adobe Camera Raw (or your camera's RAW file utility) will give you much finer control over white balance. Just open the RAW file in ACR and use the white balance slider to produce the color that looks like reality. Good luck.

well my Blue+ bulbs are in..I say it is just a litle more blue then my old tank looked when I had 14k phoenix on them..I like it. So I will probably replace the other 2 stock bulbs with a UV Aquasun 10k and a Giesemann Pure actinic so i have better lights all around..I will take some pics shortly

Stock Bulbs

KH5V0189.jpg

With the Blue+

KH5V0201.jpg

Edited by 05XRunner
el_vulture619

Have my fixture up and glowing!! Fishneedit.com 36" 4 bulb has stock lighting

2 10k

2 blue (thats all they give you about the actinics!)

PICT0014_02.jpg

My camera sucks... but tank is brand new and love my T5's !!

edit: put pics back!

Edited by el_vulture619
el_vulture619

Here you go!

This is were I tucked the reflector under this channel to lift it away from the bulbs, it was touching the ends.

PICT0004-1.jpg

PICT0001-2.jpg

up close middle shot

PICT0005-1.jpg

full lenth

PICT0006-1.jpg

I grabbed one of my mic's and measured it, it is .010 thick. Tool & Die we call this shim stock, LOL but this is polished pretty good. Good enough for the girls I go with! ( another tool & die quote)

PICT0008-1.jpg

PICT0007-1.jpg

edit: details.... reflector was formed in a jig. The ends are the most bent probably from being grabbed off of the jig in production and/or assembly. For the length of the bulb it is ok.

Edited by el_vulture619
masterbuilder
Okay, finally got pics under the new bulb combo.

As warned, these are not the best pics, still gotta learn what camera settings work best with this light fixture and I was kinda in a hurry, so sorry for that.

These are taken under: (front to back)

ATI Blue+

ATI Aquablue Special

KZ Fiji Purple

ATI Blue+

looks nice.

Atlantis Reef

That is what I needed some more info on fishneedit lights. Anymore would be great Im thinking of ordereing from them was shipping and packing good?

Do you think the ballast in the fixture could be swapped out easliy?

I wonder how the other white bulbs look.

Edited by Falcon_Punch

I recently switched over to T5s from PCs and the diff is insane. I got a great deal on a 24" Nova Extreme SLR model and I love it. The improvement in the reflector is great! Closely matches true parabolic reflectors.

I'm running (F to R),

Blue+

Super Actinic

Aquasun

Blue +

Overall color is perfect, IMO, and the color pop is awesome.

Edited by Crippler
el_vulture619
That is what I needed some more info on fishneedit lights. Anymore would be great Im thinking of ordereing from them was shipping and packing good?

Shipped fed ex and was packaged decsent mine came whole!

How many switches and cords does it have? Do you like it with the 10K? I noticed they also offer 14K and 20K for the white bulbs.

3 cords & switches. I think the 10 is fine for me. I am trying to get good growth right now. Seems that in this thread that was mentioned somewhere.

Do you think the ballast in the fixture could be swapped out easliy?

I wonder how the other white bulbs look.

They seem like a pain, they are in a tight spot and siliconed in, you would have to make sure the other ballast you get are the right size. The ballast seem fine to me compared to other fixtures running at the LFS.

good info.Im trying to decide on what t5 light i would need to keep a rbta and crocea in a 30 breeder with good results.

36" Nova Extreme pro would do just fine..or a 36" TEK fixture with 4-6bulbs

36" Nova Extreme pro would do just fine..or a 36" TEK fixture with 4-6bulbs

do you think a 4 bulb would be enough?for clam and rbta?I prob just better off getting the 6.