Innovative Marine Aquariums

T5HO Information

Weetabix7

Where online is a good place to shop these bulbs?

reefgeek.com

+1 to dtfleming. the aquablue special has an ice white spectrum.

Edited by lakshwadeep
TriggerHappyDude
reefgeek.com

+1 to dtfleming. the aquablue special has an ice white spectrum.

Ok, thats where I'll probably end up getting the fixture too.

So Two of these?

ATI Aquablue Special 24w

And Two of these?

ATI Blue Plus 24w

Do you think this fixture with this light combo would be enough to grow just about anything in a Solana 20x20x20 tank? How far above the rim of the tank would you hang this unit?

Also whats your opinion of Premium Aquatics vs. Reef Geek, I can get the fixture and bulbs from both, all within a few dollars of each other. But it doesn't say anything about waiting 3-4 months for the product?

Edited by TriggerHappyDude

I'm not sure about the front-to-back width of the solana (I know there is some partition in the back), so you may need more than four bulbs. Four of them, with icecap reflectors, is the maximum I can have on my 20 high (12.5" width).

I highly recommend reefgeek.com because I got my retrofit kit from them after other members wrote about their good experiences. They seem to have one of the widest selection of bulbs in the US. However, it is true that you might have to wait for the powermodule to arrive. I think one member even bought another fixture in the meantime. :lol:

TriggerHappyDude

The tank from front to back is 15 1/2", not including the chambers in the back. Just display.

Can you add a 5th bulb to the ATI fixture, sorry I'm pretty new, don't know much about them?

I don't understand what a 5th bulb is going to do that the other 4 wont?

This one seems to look like its doing a great job?

ATISOLANA.jpg

Also how do these ATI fixtures hang, does the kit have to go into studs in ceiling? Or what?

The powermodules come in 4, 6, and 8 bulb fixtures. But, the ATI fixtures are so nice that you should be fine with four bulbs. I'm not sure how hanging kits work.

TriggerHappyDude
The powermodules come in 4, 6, and 8 bulb fixtures. But, the ATI fixtures are so nice that you should be fine with four bulbs. I'm not sure how hanging kits work.

Thanks lakshwadeep, they also come in 10 bulbs too. I didn't think I'd need more than four, I'm pretty sure I'll have enough light for the entire tank. I just really want to make sure I get a nice, again, crisp white color in the tank...so I hope your white and my white are close to the same idea? There were two of you who answered with the same bulb combo, so I'm just waiting to see what Masterbuilder says, sure he'll agree.

I know most people say I can get that amazing white and shimmer with the MH HQI lights, which I've found a few I like and that are a lot less expensive, but this ATI is just really an amazing looking fixture. I might have to visit my LFS's to see some examples of the T5s and MH HQI's in person.

The 5th bulb adds more PAR and more watts of lighting over your tank. What do u plan on keeping? The ATI fixture and the 4 bulbs you chose should give you plenty of light and a crisp white/blue color. The fixture should hang 4" above the water line in your tank. I dont know if the ATI fixture comes with a hanging kit or legs.

TriggerHappyDude

I would like a mixed reef tank, I'm sure since I'm new I'll get sucked into trying all the different SPS/LPS, softies, hardies, fish, all that jazz...

I think the fixture comes with the hanging kit, as its the natural way its supposed to be installed?

Here is some information on the fixture from Premium Aquatics, who actually have ONE in stock, I wouldn't have to wait...

Manufacturer: ATI

Dimensions: 23.0" x 9.5" x 2.3" (L x W x H)

T5 high-output fluorescent lighting system complete with individual parabolic reflectors for each bulb made from silver-coated 98% reflective German-made aluminum, built-in electronic ballasts, active cooling system, acrylic shield, two 10 ft power-cords and sleek, adjustable hanging kit to suspend the unit. Superior design and high-end components produce 50% more light than most other equally sized T5 fixtures without using more energy. Fixture is wired with 2 bulbs on one power-cord and the other 2 bulbs on the other allowing for independent control and dawn-dusk simulation. Silver colored, stainless steel body is durable and rust-proof. Runs very cool and produces virtually no noise. Common Sizing Guideline: soft coral tanks up to 50 gallons, mixed reef tanks up to 40 gallons and SPS dominated tanks up to 30 gallons. Recommended Tank Depth: up to 30" with carefully planned placement of corals. Power Consumption: approximately 1.0 Amps. Warranty: 1 year. Bulbs sold separately.

And similar information from ReefGeek.com

Manufacturer: ATI

Dimensions: 23.0" x 9.5" x 2.3" (L x W x H)

Availability: In Stock - Usually ships in 24 hours

Item #: ATI2043

T5 high-output fluorescent lighting system complete with individual parabolic reflectors for each bulb made from silver-coated 98% reflective German-made aluminum, built-in electronic ballasts, active cooling system, acrylic shield, two 10 ft power-cords, sleek, adjustable hanging kit to suspend the unit and choice of bulbs from any of our current selection of high-quality lamps. Superior design and high-end components produce 50% more light than most other equally sized T5 fixtures without using more energy. Fixture is wired with 2 bulbs on one power-cord and the other 2 bulbs on the other allowing for independent control and dawn-dusk simulation. Silver colored, stainless steel body is durable and rust-proof. Runs very cool and produces virtually no noise. Common Sizing Guideline: soft coral tanks up to 50 gallons, mixed reef tanks up to 40 gallons and SPS dominated tanks up to 30 gallons. Recommended Tank Depth: up to 30" with carefully planned placement of corals. Power Consumption: approximately 1.0 Amps. Warranty: 1 year.

yea its a nice light, I would get it and the four bulbs the you mentioned. You will need to hang the light above your tank. Either from the ceiling into the studs, I've seen people put shelves above the tank and mount the light to that.

TriggerHappyDude
yea its a nice light, I would get it and the four bulbs the you mentioned. You will need to hang the light above your tank. Either from the ceiling into the studs, I've seen people put shelves above the tank and mount the light to that.

I just hope I can find studs that are centered above the tank, that keep my tank centered on the wall.

I'm just wondering if I'm going over board with this fixture? I started with wanting the SunPod 150w MH HQI.

There is ONE in stock, isn't that a sign? :lol:

I just hope I can find studs that are centered above the tank, that keep my tank centered on the wall.

I'm just wondering if I'm going over board with this fixture? I started with wanting the SunPod 150w MH HQI.

There is ONE in stock, isn't that a sign? :lol:

You'll be happy with the T5's less heat issues and better selection in bulbs. I have a TEK light over my 40 and a HL 4bulb T5 fixture over my AP24.

TriggerHappyDude
You'll be happy with the T5's less heat issues and better selection in bulbs. I have a TEK light over my 40 and a HL 4bulb T5 fixture over my AP24.

I looked at your pics on the 40, still too blue for my liking, wished I could see a tank with the light combo that was suggested to me, so I can see what it would look like, instead of just whats in my mind.

TriggerHappyDude
look for someone that has the stock lights in a nova extreme pro, thats gonna be close to what your looking for.

Will do, its funny though, I'm more hung up on the look of the actual fixture than what the light fixture can do and its bulbs etc...that is very noobish of me. But my goal with the tank, was to have a mixed reef that is clean and cool looking on the outside as much as the inside. So thats where thats coming from.

TriggerHappyDude
np, thats the point of this thread. If you go back to the first couple of pages. There are some pichers of various tanks to give you an idea.

Yep, saw those, you were right, I searched for the Nova Extreme Pro, and I found a picture with some "white" that I like...

Nova Extreme Pro - White Light

See if you consider this WHITE or not...

TriggerHappyDude
Thats prob what your looking for. The setup on those is a mix of 3 10K bulbs and 3 blue bulbs. That will give you the crisp white look.

How does that equate to the ATI Powermodule and ATI bulbs, would it be the same four bulbs mentioned by the other posters earlier? Does the ATI have a bulb similar to the 10k in the Nova Extreme Pro?

Again thought, $299 for the Nova Extreme Pro vs. $419 (no bulbs) to me is worth the difference. Then I spend another $80-$100 on ATI bulbs...? Still leaning towards the ATI, if I can get that color I'm looking for in the light output. Searching for ATI pictures to see...

well the nova extreme would give 6 bulbs, but the 20" version your limited to current usa bulbs only.

The ATI fixture is more and you can pick different bulbs. The aquablue special is a 12K bulb and looks more white to me.

Both fixtures have built in cooling fans, The nova extreme is black and has mounting legs to set on your tank.

So its really up to you.

are there any fixtures that are 24in that come with more than 4 bulbs. looking to get a little more than the 96w that come in the 24in setups

Yes, many brands have more than 4 bulb fixtures. What is the tank size?

TriggerHappyDude
well the nova extreme would give 6 bulbs, but the 20" version your limited to current usa bulbs only.

The ATI fixture is more and you can pick different bulbs. The aquablue special is a 12K bulb and looks more white to me.

Both fixtures have built in cooling fans, The nova extreme is black and has mounting legs to set on your tank.

So its really up to you.

I don't mind paying more for TOP OF THE LINE stuff, and the choice of bulbs I have with the 24" allows me to have, like you said, any color I want. The looks of the two don't compare, ATI beats all fixture looks.

I guess I'm sold on the ATI...$495 shipped!