ReefCleaners.org

T5HO Information

Weetabix7

TriggerHappyDude
Or less.

And why do you have it so far to the rear of the tank..... you can cheat it towards the back if you want but more in the center is mo' better.

I was showing how I thought maybe a 6x24w would cover the tank better, but have been told the 4x24 would be enough, so those pictures where its sitting towards the back was just to show the space left. I will FOR SURE center it over the opening of the tank. So disregard those pictures as I won't be installing it like that.

TriggerHappyDude
so i need to order a few bulbs where is best place or places to order from cost wise etc?

Look for the Group Buy from Reef Geek on there, thats a great place for bulbs and there's some kind of discount in the Group Buy. I just bought my light and bulbs from them, not in the GB, and I am pleased.

Here is the link:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=188235

Edited by TriggerHappyDude

What are the lifespan of t5 bulbs? when should they be changed I just got new ones on monday need to mark calendar on when to change them thanks

What are the lifespan of t5 bulbs? when should they be changed I just got new ones on monday need to mark calendar on when to change them thanks

I'm gonna change mine at 12 months.

Good places to get bulbs are ReefGeek.com and AquariumSpecialty.com.

I'm gonna change mine at 12 months.

Good places to get bulbs are ReefGeek.com and AquariumSpecialty.com.

I just got them from aquarium specialty not sure how old my other bulbs were but was getting red slime so I switched themsucked out the slime and sofar so good. Just wanted to know so I can be prepared Thanks

montgomery29

I recently discovered T-5 lighting and a happened to walk into a petsmart and find that they were practically giving away 36" Glo fixtures(single Bulb) but i couldnt pass them up for twenty bucks a piece i bought two. now i have to find a tank that can go with it. i heard that the 40 gal breeders are a nice fit but i wanted to go with a 75 gallon. and the amrs can spand like 53 inches but with only two of these reflected t-5 bulbs what am i looking at as far as being able to keep corals. ( with anykind of bulb)

lakshwadeep

What is the spectrum of the bulbs? There are both freshwater and marine T5 bulbs, and using a freshwater bulb is not recommended for a reef tank.

Does anyone have any info on the par readings for the Korallen-Zucht T5 Fiji Purple Special Red/Blue?

Also did anyone do a comparison between the UVL Super Actinics vs the Giesemann Pure Actinics?

UVL has better par (210) and the Giesemann has 157, but which one is actually more fluorescent? I heard that the Giesemann is better but I'm not sure

masterbuilder

Check out post #20 on page 1 of this thread for PAR numbers.

Also...I find T5 Actinics are really a waste of available light. ATI Blue+ lamps will give you just as much pop as any actinic with a huge jump in PAR. I guess if you already have more than enough light or are just trying to fine tune a specific color, then an actinic lamp might be useful, but thats about it.

Mark

Edited by masterbuilder

Thanks for the par, i've seen it many times but I guess I keep missing the fiji purple one. Blue+ lamps give more blue then the pop i'm looking for, such as the neon green which actinics give.

It is a 4x24 over 15 gallons (12" high) for softies/lps mostly, so I am not looking for that much light as there is already enough. I do want either Aquasun or Aquablue and Pro Color or Fiji Purple (most likely now that it has higher par) in the middle for the main lights, then on the outside, either UVL Super Actinics or Giesemann Pure Actinics

montgomery29
What is the spectrum of the bulbs? There are both freshwater and marine T5 bulbs, and using a freshwater bulb is not recommended for a reef tank.

i of course would use the marine bulbs. i was thinking the power glo with 18,000 K. and an atinic

i of course would use the marine bulbs. i was thinking the power glo with 18,000 K. and an atinic

if you ge the fixture dont waste your money on those bulbs..get ATI bulbs

TriggerHappyDude

Ok so I got my ATI fixture installed and up and running and took the light advice from Greg @ ReefGeek and its a nice look, I will want to see how it does when water and sand rock etc is in it.

Bulbs installed in this order from front to back...

- ATI 24W Blue Plus T5 HO Fluorescent x 2

- ATI 24W 12000K Aquablue Special T5 HO Fluorescent

- UVL 24W 10000K AquaSun T5 HO Fluorescent

If I want more of a white look, should I change out the 2 Blue Plus for something more white?

IMG_6565.jpg

masterbuilder

NO!...keep the two blue plus, whatever you do. They are what gives your coral its pop. For more white replace one of your other two white lamps with a GE 6500 daylight. Thats about the purest white you can find. It will make a huge difference in the color. What you have now is actually quite white, it just looks real blue until you get corals or rock in it. I wouldnt change it until you are stock up with SOME corals.

TriggerHappyDude
NO!...keep the two blue plus, whatever you do. They are what gives your coral its pop. For more white replace one of your other two white lamps with a GE 6500 daylight. Thats about the purest white you can find. It will make a huge difference in the color. What you have now is actually quite white, it just looks real blue until you get corals or rock in it. I wouldnt change it until you are stock up with SOME corals.

Thats probably a better idea, wait and see after the rock/sand is in there, then play with combos and new bulbs...thanks!

Blue+ and Aquablue Special

Thats probably a better idea, wait and see after the rock/sand is in there, then play with combos and new bulbs...thanks!

yea dont do anythig till the tank is full of water and rock..it always has a different color when water is in it. I will bet it doesnt look anywhere near that blue once you add water and sand and rocks.

I have

Blue+

Aquablue special

Aqua science 15K

Blue+

and my tank seems to only have a slight hint of blue to it..probably around a 14k look.

TriggerHappyDude
Blue+ and Aquablue Special

yea dont do anythig till the tank is full of water and rock..it always has a different color when water is in it. I will bet it doesnt look anywhere near that blue once you add water and sand and rocks.

I have

Blue+

Aquablue special

Aqua science 15K

Blue+

and my tank seems to only have a slight hint of blue to it..probably around a 14k look.

I just visited your tank build thread, and you are right, looks good, I like your look.

So, if I don't like my look when its got rock and sand in it, and I want yours, I'll just swap out my UV Lighting AquaSun, for an Aqua Science 15K? That would give me your look...nice camera work too, you make me want to get a Canon 50D or Nikon D300.

I just visited your tank build thread, and you are right, looks good, I like your look.

So, if I don't like my look when its got rock and sand in it, and I want yours, I'll just swap out my UV Lighting AquaSun, for an Aqua Science 15K? That would give me your look...nice camera work too, you make me want to get a Canon 50D or Nikon D300.

yea or the Aquablue special..the Aquascience says 15k..but its 100% identical to the aquablue in spectrum and color output.