SaltCritters.com

T5HO Information

Weetabix7

almost $500. You could almost get a MH and a small chiller for that. They do look very nice!! Just a little to much money for me. And i would like one that can clip on to the tank witch is a 20 tall. I would like to get one that could hold 6 bulbs but it looks like ill have to stay with the 4. DO you all think i could still keep most clams with just the 4. What do you all think of the sundial fixture. I do like the built in timers. less mess would the nova 20 be able to clip onto a 24in tank

Edited by neal90
its a 20 tall and i would like to keep clams with no MH if i could with t5 thanks

Can you give the dimensions? I'm not sure if it is the same as the 20 high (four bulbs can fit that). Look here for a chart of some standardized sizes:

http://www.thekrib.com/TankHardware/size-chart.html

Also, the ATI is a lot better than the nova extreme mainly because of its reflectors. Reflectors are the only reason T5s can rival MH in the corals they can keep.

You can keep clams with four bulbs, depending on the reflectors and bulbs. Clams can even be kept under PCs (probably not for good growth/color), but only if they are a very close distance.

TriggerHappyDude
almost $500. You could almost get a MH and a small chiller for that. They do look very nice!! Just a little to much money for me. And i would like one that can clip on to the tank witch is a 20 tall. I would like to get one that could hold 6 bulbs but it looks like ill have to stay with the 4. DO you all think i could still keep most clams with just the 4. What do you all think of the sundial fixture. I do like the built in timers. less mess would the nova 20 be able to clip onto a 24in tank

Well Neal, that the whole reason I'm looking at the ATI T5's, I don't want to buy a MH HQI that gets the tank so hot I have to also buy a chiller and have even more clutter on my tank. This ATI is cool temperature wise, and cool looking fixture that keeps my tank clutter free. I was worried I couldn't get the same crisp white light that most MH HQI's can produce, but I've been convinced that I can! So thats why I'm going this way, its expensive alright, but its the BEST there is and of all the fixtures and equipment to spend the money on, I think the lights are a good place to break the budget. It is after all pretty important feature for growth and happiness of the tank dwellers. I'm only about 85% sold on them, still considering some cheaper MH HQI options as well. The Nova Extreme Pro is on my short list as well, in T5 choices.

Edited by TriggerHappyDude

The tank is a 20 tall 24in long. The ati are just not in my price range, they do look VERY nice. What do you all think about the sundial t5s. Can you put the nova extreme pro 20 in withe the clips on a 24 in long tank. Im just trying to find the best lighting under $300.00 thanks for all the help

If you haven't done so, go to the first page and read post #4. There, I have written on the different things you need to factor when choosing a fixture or retrofit kit.

the nova extreme pro looks like the one I want to go with the only problem is its only 20in long and my tank is 24. do you all think with the mounting parts it comes with it will fit on a 24in long tank thanks for all the help

the nova extreme pro looks like the one I want to go with the only problem is its only 20in long and my tank is 24. do you all think with the mounting parts it comes with it will fit on a 24in long tank thanks for all the help

I would STRONGLY advise finding a 24" fixture if you can.

The bulb selection is much, much, much better in the 24" size.

In 20" it's pretty limited.

Does anyone know where to get a 4x24 t5 retrofit for a nice price, the cheapest i found was like $180 which is too high as I can get fixtures cheaper then that

Personally to many actinic..you really loosing out on PAR with that many actinics. Id dump those Current bulbs for some ATI Blue +...Most likely double your PAR and look better to

The Current 460s will be going after 6 months for either ATI Blue+ or the UVL 454s. Only had $ for changing out 2 bulbs at first. ;) I'm not worried about the loss in PAR with using the Super Actinic over this depth, maybe 10".

Edited by Crippler
TriggerHappyDude

Neal,

This is good blog to read about the T5 lighting, the advice comes from The Grim Reefer over on RC.

Check out the "Fixtures" page, it lists a lot of good choices and pros/cons.

T5 Lighting

who makes a 24in (besides ati just to much $$) that holds more than 4 bulbs and can clip on to the tank

well the ATI sunpower is alot cheaper then the powermodule.

the 6x24 fixture is supposed to run for $389

thats more then $200 less

who makes a 24in (besides ati just to much $$) that holds more than 4 bulbs and can clip on to the tank

You could try the TEK light by sunlight supply (also offered at reefgeek).

Does anyone know where to get a 4x24 t5 retrofit for a nice price, the cheapest i found was like $180 which is too high as I can get fixtures cheaper then that

It will be hard to get something cheaper than $180. What corals are you wanting to keep? Is there some time you can wait to save up for a good kit? Also, keep on the look out for people selling their T5s; you can get a massive discount on something that probably needs only new bulbs.

TriggerHappyDude
crisp white, I would try the ati aquablue special 2, and 2 blue+

Remember me asking about which T5 bulbs would give me a crisp white, MH look?

Well I wrote to the fellas working at Premium Aquatics and here is what they said about the bulbs for the ATI 24" 4x24w Powermodule I'm purchasing...

Sorry for the long wait on the reply.

For a 4 bulb setup the 2 x Blue Plus and 2 x Aquablue Special would look really good, very ice white, with a very small blue tint to it. I would actually recommend taking one of the blue plus lamps out and substituting with a the Giesemann pure actinic. This is a 420nm actinic, which is the closest you can get in T5 lamps to mimicking the VHO actinic lamp. This will still give you a nice crisp white, but it will offer more spectrum to your corals, as well as make the colors pop more. You definitely get more fluorescence with the pure actinic over the blue plus, it’s just not as bright.

If you have any questions please let me know and I will try and help.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Then I wrote to Greg at ReefGeek and here is what he said...

My favorite 4-bulb combination is 2-ATI Blue Plus, 1-UV Lighting 10000K AquaSun and 1-UV Lighting 75-25.

Warmest Regards,

Greg Morgan

I also got feedback from GrimReefer over on RC and he gave me TWO responses...one PM and one POST.

Here is the POST...

Do 3 ATI Aquablues and a Fiji Purple. The Aquablues are ice white with a slight amount of blue. With the slight purple of the fiju lamp you should be looking like 10K halide with good actinics running.

Here is what he said via PM...

1 ATI Blue Plus, 1 GE 6500K Daylight and 2 ATI Aquablue. Should be just Blue enough but very bright.

So I'm getting all kinds of feedback, which is awesome, but I really don't know which way to go, I'm sure all the options are good and will do what I'm asking, how do I pick?

GrandpaFeathers
Remember me asking about which T5 bulbs would give me a crisp white, MH look?

Well I wrote to the fellas working at Premium Aquatics and here is what they said about the bulbs for the ATI 24" 4x24w Powermodule I'm purchasing...

Then I wrote to Greg at ReefGeek and here is what he said...

I also got feedback from GrimReefer over on RC and he gave me TWO responses...one PM and one POST.

Here is the POST...

Here is what he said via PM...

So I'm getting all kinds of feedback, which is awesome, but I really don't know which way to go, I'm sure all the options are good and will do what I'm asking, how do I pick?

personal preference

TriggerHappyDude
personal preference

Thats just it, I don't have a personal preference, I'm totally new to T5's and reefing all together.

I trust all these opinions are good, guess I'll just eeenie meenie miney moe it?

GrandpaFeathers
Thats just it, I don't have a personal preference, I'm totally new to T5's and reefing all together.

I trust all these opinions are good, guess I'll just eeenie meenie miney moe it?

Im actually in the same boat as you, but that's the common answer i've received a lot of. I dont think you'll ever get the same answer from everyone when it comes to T5 lighting, so just try to find something like what weetie did on the first page.

Im stuck in between two options right now.

Luckily i'm setting up a 3-tank frag system, so I can try both of them.

Thegrimreefer knows a lot more than me about T5s, and the recommendation by greg morgan is actually very close to thegrimreefer's "standard" four bulb combo. I think you should have at least two aquablue specials and just choose which other two you want based on color preference (i.e. actinics for fluorescence, pinkish bulbs for bringing out red colors, or blue pluses for a "higher kelvin/bluer" appearance).

TriggerHappyDude

lakshawadeep, I don't think I want any of those colors or effects, I just like the white light.

Very similar to this white...

Bulbs Used:

2 ATI Blue+

1 ATI Aquablue

1 UVL Aquasun

FTSDay150.jpg

One of GrimReefer's suggested combos was: 1 ATI Blue Plus, 1 GE 6500K Daylight and 2 ATI Aquablue

I emailed Greg both combo suggestions and he said this about GrimReefer's combo above...

This combination has excellent PAR to it, but its very white looking with little to no blue. Based on the information you've provided today I would recommend the combination pictured earlier or 2-ATI Blue Plus, 1-ATI Aquablue and 1-UV Lighting AquaSun.

Warmest Regards,

Greg Morgan

Again, I'm getting all confused and twisted in these combos! I just want something white, that will help grow and prosper the livestock I pick, in a mixed reef tank. I don't know what PAR means either.

I just got my bulbs in today. My setup is:

Blue +

Aquablue

Pro Color

Blue +

Aquablue

Blue +

Here are pics. I'm not great with the camera and I don't know a thing about "white balance" but here is what I got.

This is with flash:

IMG_1259.jpg

IMG_1263.jpg

This is without flash:

IMG_1261.jpg

I'm thinking it might still be a bit too blue. This combo was recommended by Grimm (I think)

TriggerHappyDude

Yeah, the without flash pictures show the BLUE a lot more, and thats more natural, and not what I want.

Great looking tank though! Coming along nice. I just want a hint of blue if any...I'm going crazy, I want to just order this light but want to figure out my bulbs first!

This tank I found, has what appears to have some purple/violet color when you look at the fixture, but in the tank looks pretty white to me...could be the camera though.

fulltank1-13-08.jpg

You could just get 4 aquablue specials. That way, you can either keep them in the fixture if it isn't too white for you, or you can store the bulbs you don't want as replacements you have on hand.