Pod Your Reef

T5HO Information

Weetabix7

No problem! Props to pweissma who posted it in another thread... I just got the link and posted it here for everyone to see haha.

Anyway. I'm strongly considering the recommendation that you made for my NEP. 2 Super Actinic, 2 454, 2 Indigo Sun. I'm just concerned that this could be TOO blue. As I understand it, the Indigo Sun does have a bit of a white tint to it... Will that be enough to compensate for all the blue from the Actinics/454s?

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up, got my bulbs in from Premium Aquatics today (UVLs).

I figured I'd only order four for now (since my 18" NEP has two switches, a 4 bulb and a 2 bulb). I ordered:

- 2 454

- 1 Indigo Sun

- 1 Super Actinic

Not sure if they mixed up an old and a new batch, but one 454 ended up being the proper size (16.5") while the other three bulbs ended up being 16.25" or whatever the "short" size was that Nanotuners had.

I was able to make it work with my end caps and brackets, but some people may not be so lucky. I'll be shooting an email over to PA to see if they can resolve this for future orders.

Just figured I'd give any interested parties a heads up :)

Not sure if they mixed up an old and a new batch, but one 454 ended up being the proper size (16.5") while the other three bulbs ended up being 16.25" or whatever the "short" size was that Nanotuners had.

Thanks for the info, bizarre as it is.

I figured I'd only order four for now (since my 18" NEP has two switches, a 4 bulb and a 2 bulb). I ordered:

- 2 454

- 1 Indigo Sun

- 1 Super Actinic

I was able to make it work with my end caps and brackets, but some people may not be so lucky. I'll be shooting an email over to PA to see if they can resolve this for future orders.

Let us know how you like the bulb combo. :)

Anyone have this combo: 3 ATI Aquablue Special, 2 ATI Blue Plus, and KZ Fiji Purple

Don't have it cause all my fixtures are 4 bulb, but from experience with all of those bulbs, that would prolly be really white.

Sorry I never got back to this thread regarding my new bulb combo.

As a reminder: Nova Extreme Pro 6x18 (only running 4 bulbs).

From back to front: Super Actinic, Empty, 454, Indigo Sun, 454, Empty

Has a nice color to it, more of a deep blue with a slight purple/pink hue from the Indigo Sun bulb. Would like some more fluorescence from the corals so I might do 3 SA, 2 IS, 1 454 in the future. Definitely not a bad combo by any means though, the fluorescence is just a personal preference. Will post pictures with my SLR later, my cell phone camera gets completely washed out with all the blue.

Sorry I never got back to this thread regarding my new bulb combo.

As a reminder: Nova Extreme Pro 6x18 (only running 4 bulbs).

From back to front: Super Actinic, Empty, 454, Indigo Sun, 454, Empty

Has a nice color to it, more of a deep blue with a slight purple/pink hue from the Indigo Sun bulb. Would like some more fluorescence from the corals so I might do 3 SA, 2 IS, 1 454 in the future. Definitely not a bad combo by any means though, the fluorescence is just a personal preference. Will post pictures with my SLR later, my cell phone camera gets completely washed out with all the blue.

Hmm, interesting, thanks for the post.

Looking forward to pics, when you are able.

Disclaimer: Need to tweak my WB settings a little. The color is actually a touch more purple in person.

FTS:

DSC_3818.jpg

Damsel, dottyback, and Green Hairy Mushroom:

DSC_3822.jpg

Candy Canes and GSP, these show the most fluorescence:

DSC_3824.jpg

Anyone have an opinion on the following three combos. Sorry if this is redundant, 96 pages is a lot to skim...

Combo 1

ATI Blue+

ATI Purple+

ATI Blue+

ATI Aqua Blue

ATI Purple+

ATI Blue+

Combo 2

ATI Blue+

ATI Blue+

ATI Purple+

ATI AquaBlue

ATI Blue+

ATI Blue+

Combo3

ATI Blue+

ATI Purple+

ATI Blue+

ATI Blue+

ATI Purple+

ATI Blue+

Any feedback on how much the ordering of the bulbs effects things?

Thanks.

Anyone have an opinion on the following three combos. Sorry if this is redundant, 96 pages is a lot to skim...

Combo 1

ATI Blue+

ATI Purple+

ATI Blue+

ATI Aqua Blue

ATI Purple+

ATI Blue+

Combo 2

ATI Blue+

ATI Blue+

ATI Purple+

ATI AquaBlue

ATI Blue+

ATI Blue+

Combo3

ATI Blue+

ATI Purple+

ATI Blue+

ATI Blue+

ATI Purple+

ATI Blue+

Any feedback on how much the ordering of the bulbs effects things?

Thanks.

Ben, I like the first 2 combos.

Ordering of the bulbs does make a difference, more than you might expect.

You just kinda have to tinker with it yourself when you have the bulbs.

Any reason you like the first two over the last?

It'll be too dim, spectrum will be too unbalanced.

My guess is that first combo will be kinda 14k and second combo will be 18-20k in appearance.

Thanks Weet, that's a big help. One more question, although this one isn't about bulbs so much.

I am going to be putting up a 48x24x12 tank. Right now I have a 36" 6-bulb ATI fixture. Do you have any feel for how well this would cover the tank? It isn't going to be wall-to-wall SPS, so the edges not being as bright will be okay, but I don't want it to be flat out dim. I am also starting to wonder about the front to back coverage. I can hang it higher/lower, but I definitly will have some SPS in the tank, so will need the intensity to be string enough for that, at least in the middle.

I'll be able to try it out once I get my stand put together and water in the tank, but I'm trying to decide if I should be looking at something else. I can get a 48" 8 bulb Tek for $500 (with bulbs) from a local place. I'm fairly confident that would cover it well, but the energy use goes up dramatically..and of course I'd then have to bug you about bulb combos again. :)

No, don't get an 8 bulb!

I feel fairly confident we can make it work with the fixture you have, esp if the tank is only 12" deep.

Put an 8 bulb fixture over a 12" deep tank and you'll cook even the SPS.

How wide is the 6 bulb fixture you have?

It's 36".

Glad I didn't move on the 10 bulb PowerModule I could have got :)

GaAaAaH, you almost gave me a seizure!!!

Yes, it's good you didn't do that. :wipessweatoffbrow:

You will have to raise the fixture a little bit to get good light coverage, but considering that you are already using one of the strongest fixtures out there & the shallowness of the tank, I don't see this as a problem.

You should easily be able to grow Acro species directly under the light and most other SPS should be as long as they aren't on the edges.

I think having different light zones really isn't a bad idea.

You could keep stuff like Fancy Mushrooms, Acans, Bubble Coral and other Soft Corals around the edges.

That's what I was thinking. I plan on moving the GSP rock and toadstool from my current tank and putting them on the left edge where a lot of light isn't needed. I thought having side-side intensity variation would be cool, since usually you see top down variations with SPS up top and softies down low. Once again, thanks for the input.

• 4 weeks later...
grinder143

I have a question ,about a 40 breeder .I have a 6x39 light don't really know the brand but it has individual reflectors and fans . I have had it for a year and it needs bulbs ,but is this too much light on a shallow tank. Bulb combo I want to order is

(4) blue plus

(1) blue special

(1) mid day sun

I am looking for that crisp blue /white look

Really don't want to bake anything ,but need light until I can build the led light later

Thanks

Mike

So how does this sound for a 4 bulb combo in a Current Sundial?

ATI Blue Plus

ATI Aquablue Special

ATI Blue Plus

UVL Indigo Sun

(The Blue Pluses would be on the separate timer for the dawn-dusk effect.)

Right now I'm still on the stock Sundial combo which is just two white and two actinic. Looking for something a little more blue.