Cultivated Reef

T5HO Information

Weetabix7

I think I'm going to do this too.

How do you know when it's time to replace your bulbs?

I've had these bulbs running for 8 months about 7 to 8 hours a day.

Time to replace them all?

What fixture are you using?

Will I still get good growth if i go with 5 blue+ and one Fiji purle on sps corals? I switch out the aquablue special for a blue+ and man I love the way the corals look!

Depends, what is the depth of the tank?

What fixture are you using?

Edited by Weetabix7

+1 on the all blue + and a fiji purple. i have this combo on my 20 long and its great

from back to front mine is

blue +

blue +

fiji purple

blue +

stuff looks awesome

as for if you will get growth with the 5 blue +...definitely. these bulbs put out a lot of par

Trying to figure out which actual BULBS are best.. i have a coral life 10k and a marine glow ancintic bulb in mine.

They are starting to look a little black towards the edges, and i want to upgrade to a better bulb. What are the suggestions... there is just so much information on lighting something needs to be done to have an inclusive guide on the site :) I know there is so many variations and opinions etc.. but a base page saying X are good bulbs these are horid etc

Backwerds Man
Trying to figure out which actual BULBS are best.. i have a coral life 10k and a marine glow ancintic bulb in mine.

They are starting to look a little black towards the edges, and i want to upgrade to a better bulb. What are the suggestions... there is just so much information on lighting something needs to be done to have an inclusive guide on the site :) I know there is so many variations and opinions etc.. but a base page saying X are good bulbs these are horid etc

Well if you are on a 2 bulb setup, I would say first step is to ditch the actinic. I think everyone here would tell you to get a ATI blue+ bulb if you want to have a nice blue bulb that will bring out the fluorescence in your corals, and still have usable PAR levels.

As I'm sure you've noticed, almost everyone is buying ATI's Blue+ bulbs right now.

To be honest I've never considered using a coralife, or marine glow bulb. I've used Geisemann, ATI, and UVL bulbs. All 3 make quality bulbs IMO. The worst bulbs I've used are the stock Current USA bulbs that came in my fixture. They look terrible.

Well if you are on a 2 bulb setup, I would say first step is to ditch the actinic. I think everyone here would tell you to get a ATI blue+ bulb if you want to have a nice blue bulb that will bring out the fluorescence in your corals, and still have usable PAR levels.

As I'm sure you've noticed, almost everyone is buying ATI's Blue+ bulbs right now.

To be honest I've never considered using a coralife, or marine glow bulb. I've used Geisemann, ATI, and UVL bulbs. All 3 make quality bulbs IMO. The worst bulbs I've used are the stock Current USA bulbs that came in my fixture. They look terrible.

I was thinking this myself with that ATI blue, everything im reading looks more where i should be. Now the bulbs themselves say 22" bulbs, would this mean to buy a 24" bulb? it is a '24" fixture'... i may have to bust out the measuring tape, but my next upgrade will be these..

Would i be fine in running 2 of the ATI blues with my LED Marineland setup? 6 14k White LED bulbs (light the thing pretty well.. just not radiating)

Backwerds Man
Would i be fine in running 2 of the ATI blues with my LED Marineland setup? 6 14k White LED bulbs (light the thing pretty well.. just not radiating)

I don't see why not. What fixture are you using? What are you keeping in this tank?

I don't see why not. What fixture are you using? What are you keeping in this tank?

I have mostly Zoanthids.. like 7 different varietys. I have 1 Candy Cane, some pulsing xenia, and my hatian anemone.

My current light

AquaticLife Dual Lamp T5 HO Marine Light Fixture - 24 in.

Item #: 244410

and

Marineland LED fixture

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=...ed=0CDEQ8wIwAw#

I am seriously considering replacing this light setup with

http://www.aquatraders.com/ProductDetails....oductCode=52303

which someone has linked in a different thread, and its pretty much as cheap as getting 2 high quality replacement bulbs.

This is probably a goofy scenario, but here it goes.

I've got a 47g column tank that is 22wx18dx30h. I've got 2 12k Evil Par 38 bulbs over it. I've also got a 24" t5 fish need it fixture sitting around that I'd like to supplement the par 38s with. I'd like to get a little more blue, some more par, and maybe even some sort of dayilght/dusk. Will the ati blue+ bulbs do that?

This is probably a goofy scenario, but here it goes.

I've got a 47g column tank that is 22wx18dx30h. I've got 2 12k Evil Par 38 bulbs over it. I've also got a 24" t5 fish need it fixture sitting around that I'd like to supplement the par 38s with. I'd like to get a little more blue, some more par, and maybe even some sort of dayilght/dusk. Will the ati blue+ bulbs do that?

Yes, absolutely, they would be perfect for that.

i just picked up a NEP 6x39 fixture. it came with these bulbs

front

blue+

fiji purple

blue+

blue+

ge 6500K

blue+

back

they have around 6mo on them and i wont be setting up the fixture for a good 2 months so i've got time to fiddle with the setup. what do you guys thing of that configuration? im not sure i'm a huge fan of alot of blue, it will be my first reef so i want something to make everything pop (dont we all)

Edited by HiImSean
i just picked up a NEP 6x39 fixture. it came with these bulbs

front

blue+

fiji purple

blue+

blue+

ge 6500K

blue+

back

they have around 6mo on them and i wont be setting up the fixture for a good 2 months so i've got time to fiddle with the setup. what do you guys thing of that configuration? im not sure i'm a huge fan of alot of blue, it will be my first reef so i want something to make everything pop (dont we all)

Actually, I think this is a great combo, I would totally stick with it.

I have looked far and long through this forum trying to find a setup with..

2x ati blue +

OR

2x ati aquablue special

OR

1x ati blue +

1x ati aquablue special

I have not seen a tank running just 2 bulbs yet, i am going to order as soon as i see a FTS with this grr :-/ 100 pages of t5ho light is too much to read hopefully someone has a bookmark for me!

My setup is a retro canopy mount over a 40B. 6x39

Front:

ATI B+

ATI B+

Fiji Purple

GE 6500

ATI B+

ATI B+

Back

While the color looks good, it's a bit washed out and lacking a pop in the green colors.

I have laying around:

ATI B special ( couple of older ones)

ULV Super actinic ( two of these)

Aqua Sun

75 / 25

Icecap Deepwater 14k (in the mail)

I'll be playing around with combos to get what i'm after, but as always comments are welcome.

I have looked far and long through this forum trying to find a setup with..

2x ati blue +

OR

2x ati aquablue special

OR

1x ati blue +

1x ati aquablue special

I have not seen a tank running just 2 bulbs yet, i am going to order as soon as i see a FTS with this grr :-/ 100 pages of t5ho light is too much to read hopefully someone has a bookmark for me!

Best 2 bulb combo is ATI Blue+ and UVL Indigo Sun.

anyone want to help me out?

Im looking for new bulbs for a NEP 6 bulb 36"

Tanks 24" deep

I just bought a fji purple.

Now id like 5 UVI bulbs.

I like the pink look with a little bit of blue

Only UVI bulbs

anyone want to help me out?

Im looking for new bulbs for a NEP 6 bulb 36"

Tanks 24" deep

I just bought a fji purple.

Now id like 5 UVI bulbs.

I like the pink look with a little bit of blue

Only UVI bulbs

For the look you say you want, I would add 3 454 bulbs and 1 Indigo Sun to the Fiji Purple.