Pod Your Reef

T5HO Information

Weetabix7

Is a 4x24w TEK fixture enough light for a Biocube29 w/ sps? I was planning on adding led's for antic and going to a setup like this: (front) 450 antic leds, 12k, actinic, 6500, 12k, 450 antic leds (back)

Edited by racerfreak

Hi has anyone used this fixture? It doesn't have indiv reflectors, but it's only for a 9" tall tank (6 gallon long)

http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/ZM-AF2-24.html

Then I am also considering 2 of these. I think I can install indiv reflectors on them but I have to buy from somewhere else. I have ati bulbs at my disposal so I'd probably buy 2 and switch 1 light out (they come with 6500 bulbs) for a blue+.

http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/SL-960315.html

Thanks!

EDIT: Never mind i decided to go a different route.

Edited by DBTReefer

I have a 40B tank with the Tek Light Sun System 6 bulb fixture each bulb is 38watts

I used the par value I found in this thread if any one knows the value for the 2 missing values that would be great. The bulb set up was recomended on RC years ago. These bulbs are 7 months old and I will be ordering new soon. I am thinking of changing out the GE 6500 and the Super Actinic.

I want to try the Fiji purple but not sure what else, Any suggestions?

Back Par looks

ATI blue + 311 very blue

Giessman 11000K Aquablue unknown bright white

GE 6500K Daylight unknown yellow

UVL 10000K Aqua Sun 345 pink

UVL Super Actinic 210 blue/white

ATI blue + 311 very blue

Front

The pictures I have are too big and crappy anyway but if anyone wants to see some I will try again

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered an ATI Sunpower 6X24, did my best to read through this thread but still uncertain on a bulb combo..going for blue being the dominant color(without the"windex" look, secondary being white,followed by slight purple. Consensus seems to be ATI blue plus as the best blue, as well as the best replacement for t5 actinics, Aquablue special seems to be the choice for white, and purple pro seems to be the choice for purple.sound right? Was thinking of the following combo:

3XBlue Plus

2XAquablue Special

1XPurple pro

Any feedback on different combo/bulb manufacturers is appreciated

Seeings you 'murrican types don't seem to have ATI PurplePlus tubes to play with yet, I thought I'd give it a bit of a review after playing with my pair :)

So far I absolutely LOVE this tube in my 10x Powermodule. Up until now Fiji Purple would've been my suggestion for a supplementation tube to bring out those sorts of colours (primarily pinks and red/oranges) but having tested the two side-by-side the PurplePlus seems to have a lot more wallop in more of the spectrum than the Fiji. It brings out massive amounts of colour in the green/aqua spectrum as well which was a pleasant surprise.

On the downside, with less maybe 7 tubes to dilute the colour down, it can be quite abrupt (whereas the Fiji works nicely with 5). The prevailing colour under it when it's not in a full mix is fairly heavily towards the red as it was with a ProColor which some people will inevitably find distracting - that said though, this is a supplemental tube and should be used as such.

Overall I've found it very much like a mix of ATI PureActinic, 2 BluePlus and 1 ProColor, all crammed in to a single tube. To bring out colouration it's pretty fantastic. Currently I run mine with a BluePlus in my dawn/dusk slot and the colour over LPS and high-end SPS is fantastic. All in all it's a brilliant tube and fills that segment of the ATI lineup nicely :)

And without any more rambling, some unedited photos under the aforementioned dawn/dusk channel over my mate DAY1's tank:

img9076m.jpg

img9075.jpg

img9064f.jpg

img9068z.jpg

img9070d.jpg

img9098f.jpg

All in all, I think this is a great showing from ATI. Originally I'd planned on getting a Fiji (I got my P+ tubes for free) to do the job, but with this I don't think I'll ever look at the KZ ever again. There's just no need to anymore based on what I've seen. Hopefully get some PAR readings soon :)

Are these pics of the purple plus bulbs only or the combo your running? I am trying to find two bulbs to run as dusk and dawn and the way your lights are in these pics is perfect. Please LMK.

My tank is 14" deep and I run a Tek 4x24 fixture with 2 Ati Blue +, 1 KZ fiji purple, and an Ati aquablue special.

how high above the tank should I suspend the fixture

am in the need for new lights i have been wondering using all Giesemann bulbs due to the fact that is the only light that my lfs sells. it is a 4x24 T5 setup. would like to know what would be a good combination

Edited by sepulvd

@peytonk

You will of course need to acclimate your corals to the change of lighting. 4 to 6 inches is usually about right for a final position. You may wish to hang it higher if you have corals that do not react well to more intense lighting. 4 inches is far enough off the surface to keep salt on the reflectors to a minimum that can be easily wiped off.

@sepulvd

They are decent bulbs but like KZ a bit spendy IMO. The Actinic Plus is their blue bulb (similar to the ATI Blue+ but slightly less PAR or UVL 454), the Aquablue is a blue tinted white bulb (similar to an ATI Aquablue Special), the AquaPink is their purple bulb (similar to the ATI Purple+ or KZ Fiji Purple).

For a blue tinted tank choose 2 blue bulbs, an aquablue and a purple.

For a very blue light choose 3 blue bulbs and a purple.

The very popular and less expensive ATI bulbs can be bought online from Reef Geek, Marine Depot or Premium Aquatics.

Giesemann lighting is really popular in Europe. It's good stuff but a bit on the pricy side. Their T5 fixtures are very good, not quite as good as ATI but are more expensive because they look slick. The combined halide/T5 fixtures are very, very nice and very, very expensive. The same is true for the bulbs, they are good but like Korallen Zucht I can't help feeling like I am being ripped off a little.

I am looking at going with a 4 bulb (2 actinic and 2 10k) coralife T5 HO fixture with 2 lunar LEDs

for a 55 gallon tank (standard dimensions) that will house Zoanthids, button polyps and possible an octocoral

is that lighting sufficient?

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt
I am looking at going with a 4 bulb (2 actinic and 2 10k) coralife T5 HO fixture with 2 lunar LEDs

for a 55 gallon tank (standard dimensions) that will house Zoanthids, button polyps and possible an octocoral

is that lighting sufficient?

I'm not familiar the reflectors on those new coralife fixtures, but the corals you listed are not really the light hungry type and I'd say you'd be fine, with proper placement of the corals and depending how high the fixture is above the tank I don't see it being a problem. Why coralife, they seem to be about the same price as a TEK fixture.

I'm not familiar the reflectors on those new coralife fixtures, but the corals you listed are not really the light hungry type and I'd say you'd be fine, with proper placement of the corals and depending how high the fixture is above the tank I don't see it being a problem. Why coralife, they seem to be about the same price as a TEK fixture.

Hello, thanks for replying

I don't know how high it sits but is comes with leg mounting brackets. I am going to start the corals out at the bottom of tank and work the way up slowly and adjust to the position they seem to do well best. (from what I have read regarding coral acclimation)

Also I will have some type of glass/screen canopy to stop possible jumpers. does that reduce the amount of light or create heat?

I picked the coralife fixture because compared to TEK both do cost $250 but coralife has the bulbs, mounting brackets, 2 lunar LEDS and cooling fans, splash guard all for $250 plus shipping which is about $300 total and that seemed to be the best deal.

I don't know the quality but it seems like coralife is a good brand

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt
Anyone tried the ATI Purple +? Is it anywhere close to Fiji Purple?

Yes I'm currently using one and personally I can't tell or see any difference and being cheaper than the fiji makes it great, plus you can't go wrong with ATI.

I have a 2 bulb 24w Coralife T5 HO fixture and I'm leaning towards getting either 1 ATI Blue +/1 ATI Aquablue Special or 1 ATI Blue +/1 UVL Indigo Sun. The tank is 11.4" deep. Does anyone have any pics of these combos? I'd like a blue/crisp white look but not too blue (dark). Also, I'm having a hard time finding someone who sells both ATI and UVL. Any advice so I can get them from one place?

• 2 weeks later...

Currently running

Front

Ati Blue+

Ati Aquablue special

KZ fiji purp

Ati Blue +

Back

Thinking about changing things up a bit,

maybe 3 blue + and an Aquablue special, or 3 blue + and KZ purple?

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt
Currently running

Front

Ati Blue+

Ati Aquablue special

KZ fiji purp

Ati Blue +

Back

Thinking about changing things up a bit,

maybe 3 blue + and an Aquablue special, or 3 blue + and KZ purple?

Both combos look good imo as long as you like a blue tank, it's really up to what your preference is, with the aquablue special it'll be a lighter blue with a touch of white, and with the fiji purple it'll be a deeper blue with a touch of purple/red.

I have a 2 bulb 24w Coralife T5 HO fixture and I'm leaning towards getting either 1 ATI Blue +/1 ATI Aquablue Special or 1 ATI Blue +/1 UVL Indigo Sun. The tank is 11.4" deep. Does anyone have any pics of these combos? I'd like a blue/crisp white look but not too blue (dark). Also, I'm having a hard time finding someone who sells both ATI and UVL. Any advice so I can get them from one place?

On my phone, so can't verify. But pretty sure bulk reef supply sells both brands.

Not sure if will helpe anyone but par readings helped me alot............

Ok i wanted to see what par readings my tek fixture put out over my 57 gal whiich is 21 tall.The light fixture is a 4x39 tek with ati purple,ati blue +,ati blue +,uv super actinic.All like week old.Light was 8 inches off the water.I went with the 4 bulb cause gonna be a lower light tank with lots of lps.oh and with a ati aquablue in place of the uv bulb par numbers were about 10-15 higher in all areas.

101_0474.jpg

oh and that 105 reading was way in back corner of tank so thats why its low.rest of readings were right above where numbers are.

ok just did test with fixture 3 inches off water and the high rock where was 290 before was 450 and in sand bed where 130 before was 210.So playing with height can really do alot.

• Like 1
irondragon013

Plainrt, About how deep is the top of that rock formation? I have the fixture about 5 inches from the water over my 20 long. A ton of spill over but very few non lighted spots. I love it.

Plainrt, About how deep is the top of that rock formation? I have the fixture about 5 inches from the water over my 20 long. A ton of spill over but very few non lighted spots. I love it.

That top rock with 290 would be 15inches from the light.I run my light higher just cause i want them par numbers lower for my lps.Im glad got light all working.......