Cultivated Reef

T5HO Information

Weetabix7

Would 2 blue +, an ATI purple plus, and a aquablue special give me nice 14000k look?

Or what about 2 blue + and 2 aquablue specials?

Mega blue or a 20000k look?

Edited by Dasani

I have the first combination, which looks more like a 12000K appearance; although, such color temperatures are often subjective. It is somewhat balanced in that it is not too blue. The purple plus is a light pink-purple bulb that doesn't create a blue appearance (contrary to what the spectral graph may indicate), but it is not the pink "pepto" appearance of some UVL bulbs, like the actinic white.

Trogdor447

1x ati blue +

1x ati aquablue special

thats the setup am gonna be runngin soon. as of right now am running a blue + and a 10k corallife very sucky light but i needed a new light for the moment while i wait to order.

Trogdor447

1x ati blue +

1x ati aquablue special

thats the setup am gonna be runngin soon. as of right now am running a blue + and a 10k corallife very sucky light but i needed a new light for the moment while i wait to order.

This will give you a very white look, and will make some things look slightly washed out.

What about 2 blue+, aquablue special, and a uvl aqua sun?

I would really like a '16000k' look haha, as I want an SPS dominated tank and I want the colors to pop.

Would 2 blue +, an ATI purple plus, and a aquablue special give me nice 14000k look?

Im using that combo on my cube and like it alot.It has nice tint of blue and colors pop well.I would say atleast 14k.Its more blue then my 20k radium was lol................

Im using that combo on my cube and like it alot.It has nice tint of blue and colors pop well.I would say atleast 14k.Its more blue then my 20k radium was lol................

Sweet!

Have any pics of it?

I do in my sig link but didnt adjust white balance to real life color.I will get one later for you that is more proper.The ones in link are little more blue then really is

WEETA-

Best 2 bulb combo is ATI Blue+ and UVL Indigo Sun

how does that combination look like color wise is it slightly blue more whittish overall

Hmm, it's kinda hard to describe.

(isn't that helpful? :lol: )

I guess I'd say it's more blue, 16k - 18k in appearance, with warm tones.

okay, Heres the deal, i have a 20L tank with a custom built retrofit hood. the lights sit about 5 inches above the water line... I have 5 bulbs to choose from and i want to make sure im getting enough PAR but i dont have anything that can read PAR. The hood is a 4 bulb combo.

Coral consists of mostly Zoa's, Ricordia, and some frogspawn atm

The bulbs i have available:

2x ATI Blue + (Obvious choice :P )

1x UVL Aquasun

1x ATI Aquablue Special

1x Giessmann Actinic +

i prefer the bluer look but its not 100% necessary.

can you help me out weetabix??

This is the 2x ATI Blue Plus with my Marineland Double Bright LED system

blueandled.jpg

and this is 2x ATI Blue Plus ONLY

blueplusonly.jpg

As stated yes 2x blue plus = way to much blue.. however it is not too unbearable.. You just dont get the white to make everything more natural looking.

Pardon my Hair Algae, I am still battling this head strong, switched to chemipure Elite... running walmart purple top water as well.. *fingers crossed* this will be gone very soon

I am going to try and save money with a TEK fixture so I want to get the bulbs that come with them. But which option is best?

Option 1:

2 x AquaSun 24W T5 Fluorescent Aquarium Lamps by UV Lighting

2 x Super Actinic R 24W T5 Fluorescent Aquarium Lamps by UV Lighting

Option 2:

2 x Actinic White 24W T5 Fluorescent Aquarium Lamps by UV Lighting

Option 3:

1 x AquaSun 24W T5 Fluorescent Aquarium Lamps by UV Lighting

1 x Actinic White 24W T5 Fluorescent Aquarium Lamps by UV Lighting

I was thinking 3, but would that be more of a 12000k look? I would like a 14000k look.

Thanks

sorry im slacking on them pics.Having hard time getting them adjusted to real color.you should order from reefgeek for there black friday sale and get 15 % off fixture and order ati bulbs at 10% off.will come out cheaper then with the uv bulbs i think.

Edited by plainrt

pull it together dasani first you were dead set on MH, then you were doing an LED build and now you are buying t5s?

tbh i think you should be looking into plasma arc lighting lol. maybe PC after that, back to roots know what I mean?

Just transfered my 40 to a 65.

Running 2x150 Reeflux 12K + 4x39 T5 (2)ULV Super Actinic / (2)ATI Blue+

Looks fantastic in person. Working on coral placement.

IMG_29682.jpg

IMG_29813.jpg

Edited by Mojorizn
pull it together dasani first you were dead set on MH, then you were doing an LED build and now you are buying t5s?

tbh i think you should be looking into plasma arc lighting lol. maybe PC after that, back to roots know what I mean?

I know :D

I'm very undecided. Mh's are a no, t5's are cheap and LED's are ehhh...idk

Also, a local guy made a good point on LED's.

As far as LED v/s MH.I like the look of LEDs and MH.The T-5's dont give the shimmer the MH do.I know the PAR value of the leds is impressive.I would be comfortable with a lps or zoa tank with all leds.I dont think they have had a chance to be on a sps tank long enogh to decide if growth,color ect can be compared to MH yet.Mike and I were just discussing this topic a few minutes ago.I think some one should set up two tanks with shared water,suppliments and just light differences same frags and see what comes of it in a year.That would be the only fair comparison IMO.I like my MH and have been very happy with them.To bad I can not afford to do this exsperiment but would like to see it.

I haven't seen them on a 100% SPS tank yet. And I want a 100% SPS tank.

Mh's wouldn't work on a 20 long due to the spread.

Plus t5's have better growth. They have a long tube of lighting as appose to mh's that just have the 1 small bulb, so the whole coral gets light. Which I think would be best on an SPS.

Edited by Dasani
phi delt reefer

probably use something nuclear powered by the time he makes up his mind. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Info: 40 gallon tank. just zoas and palys

already have aqua blue special and blue plus

What do you guys think of 2 more blue plus? in regards to GROWTH. I like the blue look.

And fiji purple is not an option.

option 1: 2 more blue plus

option 2: 1 blue plus & another aqua blue special

thanks