Pod Your Reef

Calvin415's LED lit 12 footer

calvin415

Here's some videos for everyone. :D I went a head and threw one of the retro kits on the end, just for grins. Of course it's no where near that blue, but I can't adjust the white balance on video mode. :(

Hope you enjoy them.

th_DSCN4658.jpg

th_DSCN4660.jpg

I was watching your video and my 6 year old said Oh daddy I want that, I told him that he could join the 38 pages of other ppl tghat wanted it too, and he said you want an elmo chair????????? I guess he saw it through the tank in your living space..rofl Gotta love kids

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• calvin415

• jerzsky

• Boomboy

• lakshwadeep

Thanks Glenn! I'm still waiting on my buddy to get his 10 setup... He has the rock, the sand, the tank, canopy etc, but all we have left is the stand. Hopefully we can get it done soon, I bought a 20k bulb for it and it looks sick! Thanks again for the hook up!!!

No problem buddy, glad I could help!

I was watching your video and my 6 year old said Oh daddy I want that, I told him that he could join the 38 pages of other ppl tghat wanted it too, and he said you want an elmo chair????????? I guess he saw it through the tank in your living space..rofl Gotta love kids

LOL! That is awesome!!! It's amazing what kids notice! My wife and I just laughed like crazy, thank you for sharing the story!

No problem buddy, glad I could help!

:D

That is funny..... I made my wife check out the video and her first comment was "he must have kids", lol. I guess I'm the only one in our family that appreciates the awesomeness that is this tank.

That is funny..... I made my wife check out the video and her first comment was "he must have kids", lol. I guess I'm the only one in our family that appreciates the awesomeness that is this tank.

LOL! Yeah, we have a 4 yr old, 2 yr old, and a baby due in March. All boys! I hope the basement holds together... ;)

Thanks!!!!

The canopy is under construction, and I've added 6 chromies to the tank. They stay in a school, and have been swimming end to end. Of course the don't want to swim when they are on camera... I also added some narration to the video to try to give an idea of noise level from the tank, not sure how else to give you an idea of the noise level. My voice level is not elevated at all. It's quite easy to talk over the tank. ;)

Huge tanks to Maeda for his influence on the canopy idea... I hope I can pull it out!

DSCN4661.jpg

DSCN4662.jpg

th_DSCN4664.jpg

The thing I love about the internet is, even though I can't afford the costs nor the space to do things like this myself... there's always someone out there such as yourself wishing to push the boundaries of what is sane/proper/whatever other adjective you wish to insert here. Kudos for your efforts - they've paid off well :D

Can't wait to see it as it gets more mature.

Not using quarter-rounds?

You weren't kidding. Those look like some very straight pieces. :) I hope it works out for you well. If the corners don't pan out, you can edge router them into a round, and it'll definetly work.

Edited by Maeda

:bowdown: freakin awesome!!! glad to see the fishies!!! i wish ur sand would stay that way!!! it looks like the sand i see when i go diving!! i love the rock work! u happy with it?? i think its just perfect!! great looking start on the canopy!

you should create a personal website dedicated to this tank, like oregonreef! it deserves it! damn man i wish i lived close, i would so love to pull up a chair to ur tank and stare all day!! great job bro! ur an inspiration to us al!!!

As always, very cool. Thanks for the update.

Thanks!

My wife even checks up on this thread from time to time, and she's not even into reefing :) (she's does encourage my addiction though)

LOL! Sounds like mine. She helps, but doesn't take action herself. :D

Ok Calvin. Next time Im in Colorado visiting the inlaws I am coming to see this freaking tank.

Keep an eye on our club (www.thescmas.com) we're trying to organize a local reef tour so you can see all the locals in a single day. ;)

Nice to see some fish.

Yeah, I think one might have gone into the overflow though, I only found 5 this morning... Guess I have to look when I have more time.

this build is so excite!

cool to finally see some life in there. :D keep up the good werkz!

Thanks!

FISHIES!!!!!!!

LOL! The man of one word sentences. ;) Thanks!

The thing I love about the internet is, even though I can't afford the costs nor the space to do things like this myself... there's always someone out there such as yourself wishing to push the boundaries of what is sane/proper/whatever other adjective you wish to insert here. Kudos for your efforts - they've paid off well :D

Can't wait to see it as it gets more mature.

Thanks! Yeah, when it comes to tanks, I really don't believe in boundaries, it's just stuff that hasn't been tried yet.

Not using quarter-rounds?

You weren't kidding. Those look like some very straight pieces. :) I hope it works out for you well. If the corners don't pan out, you can edge router them into a round, and it'll definetly work.

No, I planned on using a router (round over) once I got the top on it... It's solid poplar and there was a little play in it when I ripped it down to 1" pieces but the cross braces every 12" have helped. I just need to figure out the mounts for the end caps and I can work on putting a top on it and then covering it. Thanks again for the help!

And we have life folks!!! again and again....awesome tank love the videos and keep it coming!

Thanks! Will do.

:bowdown: freakin awesome!!! glad to see the fishies!!! i wish ur sand would stay that way!!! it looks like the sand i see when i go diving!! i love the rock work! u happy with it?? i think its just perfect!! great looking start on the canopy!

you should create a personal website dedicated to this tank, like oregonreef! it deserves it! damn man i wish i lived close, i would so love to pull up a chair to ur tank and stare all day!! great job bro! ur an inspiration to us al!!!

I hope so too, other than the couple of bare spots, I'll have to work on those... I've very happy with everything right now, just waiting for it to get through the cycle...

I might consider a dedicated site, if there was enough interest but only after I get all the livestock done and only if its truely justified. Only time will tell if I can stock it sufficiently.

OMG! those chromis are so cute! now get like 10 more and you would have an amazing school

Not sure if I want more, they don't stay small forever and that would be a lot of fish already...

Yeah a bigger school of Chromis! Maybe not 10 maybe 5 more.

It would look cool now, but long term they would look out of place... We'll see what happens.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I'll keep you posted on the progress on the canopy. I have Monday off as my Bro-in-law is coming back from the Gulf but not sure what time I'll have to work on this some more.

-Eric

:lol:

Well, first it was too much, now it's too little, I say SUCK IT! ;) This is how it's going to look, sorry.

:lol: First time I've had to check up on your thread Calvin ( work is very busy these days ) I agree with the above comment ! Although we all have an opinion , yours is the only one that matters . Looks great to me . Drop me a PM this spring and I'll be happy to frag some of my most prized/rare show pieces , into a package deal for you . Keep up the good work . John

:lol:

:lol: First time I've had to check up on your thread Calvin ( work is very busy these days ) I agree with the above comment ! Although we all have an opinion , yours is the only one that matters . Looks great to me . Drop me a PM this spring and I'll be happy to frag some of my most prized/rare show pieces , into a package deal for you . Keep up the good work . John

Thanks John! Be sure to remind me, and I'll try to remember everyone who has sweet stuff! ;)

Kinda makes me wonder how many donation frags you will get, just so everyone can see a little piece of thiers in your masterpiece :)

I know our local club will have a lot of stuff for me, plus the 225 at my folks that I built last year is packed.

this is the greatest tank ever

While I humbly have to disagree, I appreciate the enthusiasm and support, I hope I don't let you guys down with my stocking choices. :D