ReefCleaners.org

Calvin415's LED lit 12 footer

calvin415

This needs to be posted on the thread

And Calvin said, Let there be light: and there was light.

And Calvin saw the light, that it was good: and Calvin divided the light from the darkness.

And Calvin called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day depending on when the timer kicks in.

LOL! Still funny!!!!

Apparently I need to keep up to this thread more. 3 page jump since my last look..

Very cool stuff, the lights look great, wiring looks like a major PITA but worth it.

just had a thought about the couple small spots of bare bottom, maybe a small piece of rubble in those areas would deflect the flow enough to avoid it? Or it might just make the bare spots somewhere else.. Just a thought..

Thanks, yeah wiring is a total PITA! I'm just leaving the sand for now, I'd like to minimize the rock near the display panels, but I'll mess around with it eventually.

Very impressive with the wiring job.

Adolfo

Thanks!

Awesome to see lights Calvin :D!

+1 for being crazy to remember where all those wires go :P

+1 for StevieT being a funny/awesome guy :P

+1 for this thread being awesome

+1 for +1

Thanks!

HOLY CRAP!!! that is some bright light!!!! great job! :bowdown::bling:

I sure hope so, better to have too much than not enough... Corals can adjust up, terrible to get them to adjust down...

:tears: left out.

Calvin, when you available to come to CA and help me? :D

Available after the baby comes in March, and as soon as I have an all expenses paid trip. ;)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• calvin415

• jerzsky

• Boomboy

• lakshwadeep

calvin, what sand are you using, looks great did the flow shape it that way, or did you manually shape it?

I'm actually building something similar but not as long; 6ftx16"x18"(h) and you have given me some great ideas (sorry for copying, but your ideas are better than mine).

+1 to this tank!

totally looking sweet Calvin. well done! :D

anyway beside chromis,

can I recommend this fish?

In my place, the owner of the fish shop calls it Mini Dart Goby. Scientifically, they are called Aioliops Megastigma. Does that sound familiar to anybody?

well, they are a school-lover. Always see them hovering over my friend's spses. will look great when you have a school of them :D

or,

may I recommend some cardinals? heh :P

and nice narration in your video. quite cute too haha :happy:

Edited by Ancelot
calvin, what sand are you using, looks great did the flow shape it that way, or did you manually shape it?

I'm actually building something similar but not as long; 6ftx16"x18"(h) and you have given me some great ideas (sorry for copying, but your ideas are better than mine).

It's sugar fine aragonite and the flow is continuing to shape the sand bed... Copy away. :D

+1 to this tank!

totally looking sweet Calvin. well done! :D

anyway beside chromis,

can I recommend this fish?

In my place, the owner of the fish shop calls it Mini Dart Goby. Scientifically, they are called Aioliops Megastigma. Does that sound familiar to anybody?

well, they are a school-lover. Always see them hovering over my friend's spses. will look great when you have a school of them :D

or,

may I recommend some cardinals? heh :P

and nice narration in your video. quite cute too haha :happy:

Thanks! I'll have to look into those, if you have an online source please post it up...

Well nothing new to report except that I'm out of cash. :(

I still have some endcaps and standoffs to buy and I'm working on a way to make that happen... It might be a little bit for another update, but I'll be back as soon as I can.

I still have some endcaps and standoffs to buy and I'm working on a way to make that happen... It might be a little bit for another update, but I'll be back as soon as I can.

i am also out of cash for my project, got to wait for the wife to throw us some bones our way eh ;)

Begging the wife for an advance in your allowance?

Edit: It would seem Boomboy and I think alike......he just typed it faster.

Edited by soundman

My fiance put a spending cap on the aquarium. That's why I'm going LED for the lights everything is under $20 it's just that there are a lot of everything.

My fiance put a spending cap on the aquarium. That's why I'm going LED for the lights everything is under $20 it's just that there are a lot of everything.

why is she still your fiance?!?!?! lol

OH WOW! It's been awhile since I looked at this thread! :o Thumbs up! And when your head explodes,Something even better,with even more win will be created! Kinda like the big bang theory? And then it starts all over!

i am also out of cash for my project, got to wait for the wife to throw us some bones our way eh ;)

its a common thing with the married men in this hobby.

One of the advantages to being single...*Thinks to self* "I want to buy something for my tank..." *considers* "Okay I think I will go and buy something for my tank..." *Off to LFS*

:D

BTW, Stevie if you print it, I'll hang it. ;)

See that's what i'm saying!!!!!! no worries Stevie.. I'll print it.. i'll do it up real nice too.. i'll even frame it for you calvin.....It has to go on the wall.. just fits with this build IMHO.

calvin...once i get it printed and framed i'll pm for your address so i can send it.

srsly..

I want to live in the cabinet under this tank.. i'll just lay on top of the sump...just need a ball of chaeto to lay my head on.

You sir are the man :bowdown:

LOL! Thanks!

Yeah, I'll probably just buy some anyway this weekend, but giving it a week usually helps both of us...

its a common thing with the married men in this hobby.

Not sure it's the hobby as much as it's just facts of life... Never enough moolah no matter how much is made. My folks make way, way, way more than us and seems like they have the same problems. LOL!

I don't have a cap, but I'm not to charge anything so sometimes it take a little bit to get the cash together.

Awesome tank Calvin, can't wait to see it with some corals in it.

Thanks! If I could just get through this darn cycle things could move much faster. ;)

i would give up 100 tanks before i left my wife. she is the greatest, hence why i married her.

Ditto! Granted I would miss the fish, but there is no replacing her or my boys!

OH WOW! It's been awhile since I looked at this thread! :o Thumbs up! And when your head explodes,Something even better,with even more win will be created! Kinda like the big bang theory? And then it starts all over!

Yeah, I already have even more tank ideas in my head, but just out of room. :(

See that's what i'm saying!!!!!! no worries Stevie.. I'll print it.. i'll do it up real nice too.. i'll even frame it for you calvin.....It has to go on the wall.. just fits with this build IMHO.

calvin...once i get it printed and framed i'll pm for your address so i can send it.

srsly..

I want to live in the cabinet under this tank.. i'll just lay on top of the sump...just need a ball of chaeto to lay my head on.

LOL! Just let me know when. ;)

No updates to report, I'm still waiting for my nitrites to come down, and my CUC is ordered will be here on Friday.

Are you anticipating adding the livestock as much as we are? :D

Im stoked to see this tank in a couple months, its awesome. Youre an inspiration. :bowdown:

Speaking of livestock. I saw you posted about having SPS and clams in the tank. How do you think it will affect the flow in such a long tank when the SPS start to grow upward and branch out? Could make for some interesting flow paths but may lead to more sand problems for you. Do you plan to trim regularly and keep the whole bonsai thing going? The whole build is very neat and clean thus far. Or do you intend to just let them grow how they grow and do their thing? As the taller coral start to fill it will really look spectacular but how it will change the pattern of flow in a tank of this shape should be really neat to see.

Another coral note. You should try a fungia of some type and record how long it takes it to travel the length of the tank, LOL. You could observe some very interesting aspects of the movement of coral just because of the length of the tank you have.

Keep up the good work.

Bill

Are you anticipating adding the livestock as much as we are? :D

Im stoked to see this tank in a couple months, its awesome. Youre an inspiration. :bowdown:

Thanks! Couple months? I was thinking couple years... ;)

Speaking of livestock. I saw you posted about having SPS and clams in the tank. How do you think it will affect the flow in such a long tank when the SPS start to grow upward and branch out? Could make for some interesting flow paths but may lead to more sand problems for you. Do you plan to trim regularly and keep the whole bonsai thing going? The whole build is very neat and clean thus far. Or do you intend to just let them grow how they grow and do their thing? As the taller coral start to fill it will really look spectacular but how it will change the pattern of flow in a tank of this shape should be really neat to see.

Another coral note. You should try a fungia of some type and record how long it takes it to travel the length of the tank, LOL. You could observe some very interesting aspects of the movement of coral just because of the length of the tank you have.

Keep up the good work.

Bill

Thanks Bill, yes SPS along with all the livestock will certainly affect the flow in the tank, but I'm already looking into a vortech on a wavemaker to help in the flow area. It will not be packed with SPS, but intead will have my favorite choice pieces in the upper half of the tank, which I will let grow to a respectable size (compliment the tanks dimensions) and then continue to frag to keep it in check. I hope by the time I reach this point I will be able to offer some sweet frag packs for some very cheap prices. :D The lower regions should be fine with the closed loop and will be reserved for LPS and a few choice softies. The large sand bed will be for a Derasa clam, while this certainly isn't the bigger clam, I figure it will have the same effect as a Gigas in a larger tank. ;) Once I have the tank balanced I have no issue fragging and cutting what is needed to maintain a zen feel and keep everything to scale. Great question, thanks for asking!

By way of news, there is not much new to report, tank is still mid cycle, not sure what has been holding up the Nitrites, they've been sitting at about 1.0 all week. I added one of the large amp's of Prodibio, been dosing Brightwell's Nitobacter and still nothing so tonight I decided to experiment. I tested my nitrites, still at about .75, and I added 2 Tbs of white sugar to the sump. 6 hours later (30 min ago) I tested again and they were down almost to .50 already! I've been talking with members of our local club and finally decided to give it a shot, holy crap it's working! I will be looking at making this a VSV tank going forward.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php

Well by morning there was a film all over the tank and Nitrites were down to about .375 but after 2 min with a magnet had half the tank clear again. :) I'll test again this afternon. ;)

Sorry I didn't get to post last night, but the bacteria ended up blooming (tank is cloudy), so I guess I added too much sugar. LOL! At least the chromies are still kickin. ;) I tested last night and nitrites were down to about .125 so I bet they are all gone by now. I'll test again when I get home and hopefully that will be the end of the cycle for the tank... I am starting to get a small diatom bloom but the clean up crew will be here Friday. :D I'm going to order my endcaps and standoff either today or tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have the lights all done soon!