Top Shelf Aquatics

14g BC w/ 70w Halide Pictures

DeMartini

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oceanic 30g

D,

I noticed you keep Zoas in your tank. Do you wear gloves when you handle them? I was considering keeping them, but I do not like to keep anything dangerous in the house. (I did have a puffer fish a while back which has a toxin in the skin)

Thanks

D,

I noticed you keep Zoas in your tank. Do you wear gloves when you handle them? I was considering keeping them, but I do not like to keep anything dangerous in the house. (I did have a puffer fish a while back which has a toxin in the skin)

Thanks

it's good idea to wear gloves when you handle the zoas... just to be safe. I don't wear cloves when I move them around, but when I decide to frag them I'm going to wear gloves for sure! it's the juice inside the zoa that's poisonous. Now that I think of, it I think it's only the palythoas that are poisonous... then again I wouldn't want to take a chance and then something goes wrong.

it's good idea to wear gloves when you handle the zoas... just to be safe. I don't wear cloves when I move them around, but when I decide to frag them I'm going to wear gloves for sure! it's the juice inside the zoa that's poisonous. Now that I think of, it I think it's only the palythoas that are poisonous... then again I wouldn't want to take a chance and then something goes wrong.

Wow! I hate to be a copy cat but WOW! Your tank is amazing! Just joined this forum and saw you link....

I am in the "market" for a Cube set up and have been seriously looking into the 12g Nano-Cube by JBL. After looking at your pics I am seriously considering the Bio-Cube. What made you choose the Bio and what would you do differently if you were to do it again?

Allen (SW Newbie.. sort of)

the BioCube is what my LFS carries so I bought it! lol it's a great tank. I have never had a problem with it... If I were to do it all again, then I would start with metal halides, other than that I wouldn't change a thing.

... If I were to do it all again, then I would start with metal halides, other than that I wouldn't change a thing.

Wow! Those are some pretty strong words. Coming from such an amazing tank that says a LOT for your tank and lights.

I may have to research this "Bio-Cube" thing a lil more closely before buying a tank. I was ready to order the Nano-Cube 12g DX (upgraded lights but it's still NOT MH).

Thanks for your input oh Great Nano Reefer :)

Allen

I love your tank !!!

I have a BC 8 and a BC 29. I was thinking of getting the 4 light 144W PC upgrade for my BC29 from Nanotuners but now that I see your tank, I might have to go the MH route.

I'd love to get more details about your tank.

Can you tell me everything that is in each of the compartments in the back?

What do you feed? Maintenance? etc.....?

By the way did I tell you that I LOVE YOUR TANK !!!!!!!!!!

Wow! Those are some pretty strong words. Coming from such an amazing tank that says a LOT for your tank and lights.

I may have to research this "Bio-Cube" thing a lil more closely before buying a tank. I was ready to order the Nano-Cube 12g DX (upgraded lights but it's still NOT MH).

Thanks for your input oh Great Nano Reefer :)

Allen

the all-in-ones are pretty much all the same. she did the right thing buying what her LFS sells, its always a good idea to support the store which will lead to good deals down the road. my LFS sold nano cubes so thats what i got. however, if i was to do it all over again knowing what i know now the tank i would have bought would be the aquapod 24g with the 150MH sunpod for $330 out of drs. foster and smith. would have saved me a lot on the lighting upgrade and i'd have twice the volume of water.

I love your tank !!!

I have a BC 8 and a BC 29. I was thinking of getting the 4 light 144W PC upgrade for my BC29 from Nanotuners but now that I see your tank, I might have to go the MH route.

I'd love to get more details about your tank.

Can you tell me everything that is in each of the compartments in the back?

What do you feed? Maintenance? etc.....?

By the way did I tell you that I LOVE YOUR TANK !!!!!!!!!!

Thank you! I say go with the metal halide! You definitely wouldn't be disappointed.

back chambers... #1 heater and rocks, #2 rocks, purigen and filter floss, #3 bag of carbon.

I feed my fish mysis once every other day. I feed my corals cyclopeeze and mysis twice a week. I do a 20% water change once a week.

I think she puts fudge or something in the back of her tanks :P

Sorry D had to do that.

:tears: haha

Oceanic 30g

20% per week. Wow...

I thought I was anal.

Where do you store your top off water? I know some people have a 5 gallon bucket with a lid on it and a power head going.

You?

20% per week. Wow...

I thought I was anal.

Where do you store your top off water? I know some people have a 5 gallon bucket with a lid on it and a power head going.

You?

I keep top off water in the jug that I bought it in. You don't need a power head for fresh water... I do keep salt water for water changes in a bucket with a power head and a heater.

Oceanic 30g

Cool.

I will end of using the preprepared water. I know it is expensive, but it is soooooo convenient.

So you buy your RO water at your LSF.

Did you have any microbubbles in your 14g.

I am going to have to start paying you a consulting fee...

Cool.

I will end of using the preprepared water. I know it is expensive, but it is soooooo convenient.

So you buy your RO water at your LSF.

Did you have any microbubbles in your 14g.

I am going to have to start paying you a consulting fee...

I buy the salt water at my fish store. They sell ocean water from half moon bay. I buy my RO water from safeway.

No micro bubbles in my 14

hmmm consulting fee... that's sounds like agreat idea! lol

Nice Tank.

I cant tell is your tank open top or did you mod the hood to hold the 70w light?

open top

Oceanic 30g

I think you either:

1) Took a picture of a display tank at the LFS

2) Borrowed a friend's LR, coral and water for the day to make your tank look good.

Demartini, ill paypal you a buck or something haha, if you give me a really good guideline or something. where are you buying your coral at?.. im in folsom but orig from the bay area. I gota go check that place out where you get ur coral from.

whats with the filter where bioballs arent used? lr in it instead? buy sea water? is it cleaned? all that good info.. also what do you do with the water you buy at a supermarket? safeway albertsons etc.. ;)

thanks

The last set of frags that I bought was from this guy's personal tank. To get corals I usually go to New Alameda aquatics, Aquarium Concepts, Ultimate Aquarium, or Atlantis Aquarium.

For the filter I used live rock instead of bio balls because the bio balls get dirty and start producing nitrates.

I buy my water pre-mixed from my LFS because I just found it a lot easier than buying the water and them mixing it myself, its not that expensive. They told me the water is from Half Moon Bay but it's filtered. I do buy RO/Di water from safeway to use as my top off water.

the all-in-ones are pretty much all the same. she did the right thing buying what her LFS sells, its always a good idea to support the store which will lead to good deals down the road. my LFS sold nano cubes so thats what i got. however, if i was to do it all over again knowing what i know now the tank i would have bought would be the aquapod 24g with the 150MH sunpod for $330 out of drs. foster and smith. would have saved me a lot on the lighting upgrade and i'd have twice the volume of water.

I'm in total agreement there. If my LFS sold anything like that I would be all about it. I researched this whole "cube" thing and we sat down and went over it in detail. Per him," None of my current suppliers do any of the "cube designs" and none of them even fool with the plastic tanks ( he means acrylic in this topic) because all of the plastic tanks are cheap and worthless. If it ain't glass I'm not having anything to do with it!"

Now tell Me this.... if someone came to you and said "There's this new CRAZE right now for cubes (and I think I am fairly correct in saying that) and I think you need to look into it and see if you're missing some of the market!" wouldn't you at least look into it? Well he's not interested so I ordered mine Nano-Cube 12g DX yesterday (24g wont fit on my desk here at work).

So I'm officially On my way IN to the whole Cube thing now!!

Now if I can just get miss DeMartini to allow me to pick her brain and hopefully learn from her I'll be doing VERY good :)

Allen

Thank you! I say go with the metal halide! You definitely wouldn't be disappointed.

back chambers... #1 heater and rocks, #2 rocks, purigen and filter floss, #3 bag of carbon.

Great(est) BioCube. I picked up a BC14 at random from a coworker who had FW fish in it for about a month. He said it wasn't big enough. He let it go for $60. :haha:

I remember reading something somewhere about a fuge...? (round the corner fudge is made)

Are you lighting chamber#2 and growing macro or is it just LR in the dark for filtration?

I've been pondering the various mods. You've encouraged me to do the MH retro over the 3.24 retro.

Shiny!

As of right now, all I have in chamber 2 is live rock (in the dark), then I have a small piece of filter floss on top of the drip tray. But, I'm thinking about getting a sapphire protein skimmer for the middle chamber.

Archived