Top Shelf Aquatics

jacks cube -an unfinished story

jack1978

I would love to see it in person but I'm going to be honest, I have terrible anxiety and hate planes, and an irrational fear of box jellyfish every time I think of Australia. Lol. We were upset though, we have a little over 2 weeks of all inclusive resorts all over the world we can use whenever we want and we're bummed to find out Australia is one of like 40 countries not included in the destination. :/ that's great to hear That the whole situation is being made bigger than it is, and the tourism is at least an answer on why government is unaknowledging of it.

How far do you live from the gbr? Was your visit there what sparked your interest in reefkeeping? As a local are you allowed to "frag" for yourself?

I know here, in Florida you are allowed to collect for yourself as long as no living reef-building corals or animals are taken, and any rubble is under golf ball sized.

Oh that is a bummer! I do admit, it is a very long flight from America to Australia and not something you want to do if you dislike flying. When I flew to LA it was roughly a 14 hour flight from Sydney from memory. Yep, tourism would be a big contributor to the government's ignorance. That and trade, one of our largest shipping routes runs of the east coast of Australia and one of our largest ports is within the GBR, a port that they are doubling in size putting sea turtles and the reef at risk.

For me, Cairns is about a 3 hour flight from Adelaide in South Australia. From Cairns the reef is about a 1.5hour catamaran trip out to sea. I have always loved marine life, right back from when I was in primary school. I always said I wanted to be a Marine Biologist and after out trip to the reef when I was about 12 or so I was hooked. I always wanted a reef tank but never got there until I started up my 30G cube with help from a friend I met at University. Unfortunately, when it came to setting out on my career path I got hooked on IT in high school and ended up going to university doing IT courses instead of Marine Biology.

Collection laws vary from state to state but to take anything from the tropical reefs you need a collection permit which they are very frugal in handing out, not to mention the costs of these permits are insane. From local beaches though you can usually take shells and such but all my local beaches are cold water so I have never really had any interest in collecting anything for my tanks. Typically anything relating to whales is off limits also.

• Like 2

/jealous

Why you tease us with no pics?

:)

We need pictures when you get home. And quit typing while driving.

Here they are, Dremmeled, dipped, reglued and pissy. Looks to be purple rim with green centers.....we'll see. Also seem to have about 5 heads....not 2 that I paid for. :wub:

Purple20Blastos207-26-2016.jpg

• Like 6

Now that's what we're all here for :) They look like they're going to be really nice :happydance:

Thanks teeny!

Ya....they're starting to puff up already. In a few more days they should look pretty good. Final placement in a week or so......need to let them acclimate to the new lighting. The store had them in a cave.

• Like 1

I like the color of the new blastos! Your blasto collection is nice. And awesome red coralline you're getting!

Thanks, stranger!

Funny stuff, looks red in natural sunlight....lights come on and it's purple......a little on the reddish side.....but purple.

How's your little special needs fishes doing?

• Like 2

Brother From Another Mother

That's Brotha from anotha motha. Sheesh, twitch. Get it right.

Thanks, stranger!

Funny stuff, looks red in natural sunlight....lights come on and it's purple......a little on the reddish side.....but purple.

How's your little special needs fishes doing?

I had a lot of dark red coralline in my biocube but couldn't get it to grow in this one. Now purple? Yeah, I got that covered.

SNF are doing well! I just noticed one took over bob's home.

• Like 3

Dafuq is that?

It's cool stuff ......not sure if it's "branching GSP"? It looks like GSP grew over an old sps skeleton. ....but it's a fleshy, tubish growth in all directions.

I had a lot of dark red coralline in my biocube but couldn't get it to grow in this one. Now purple? Yeah, I got that covered.

Oh......poor Bob.

• Like 1

It's cool stuff ......not sure if it's "branching GSP"? It looks like GSP grew over an old sps skeleton. ....but it's a fleshy, tubish growth in all directions.

Oh......poor Bob.

That's what my branching gsp looks like - almost grows in hollow tubes

• Like 1

That's what my branching gsp looks like - almost grows in hollow tubes

That's sounds like it.......does yours grow up....or just out?

• Like 1

Sorry, I wasn't raised in the ghetto. I speak the Queen's English like the rest of America is supposed to.... :P

• Like 3

736ab488-6809-4fdc-a99f-cdfbdf6becea.jpg

Heres the new purple blasto puffing up a bit....and under blues. Im hoping more green starts showing up in the center.

I love your appreciation for blastos :lol:.

Did you go to the new place yet?

• Like 1

That's sounds like it.......does yours grow up....or just out?

Right now, mine is just growing up in kind of an arc. Not out.

Sorry, I wasn't raised in the ghetto. I speak the Queen's English like the rest of America is supposed to.... :P

:lol: well, aren't we fancy :P

I bet you holler too...

• Like 2

I love your appreciation for blastos :lol:.Did you go to the new place yet?

Ya, I love them fluffy guys! Want to cover that one Rockn island with them.....still keeping my eyes open for some orange....or maybe a pink :^ )

I haven't made it down there yet.....works been keeping me in opposite directions. Soon I hope!

I bet you holler too...

Holla!

• Like 2

I bet you holler too...

I've been known to do some holler'n. LOL Though it's usually accompanied by some hoot'n. :haha:omgomgomg

• Like 2

Here they are, Dremmeled, dipped, reglued and pissy. Looks to be purple rim with green centers.....we'll see. Also seem to have about 5 heads....not 2 that I paid for. :wub:

Purple20Blastos207-26-2016.jpg

Here they are today......much puffier and almost completely purple.

Blasto20Purples207-28-2016.jpg

And.... a slightly less-blue shot of "Blasto Island". The rock is roughly 7" x 6" oval shape....for size reference.

Blasto20Garden207-28-2016.jpg

• Like 2

Here they are today......much puffier and almost completely purple.

Blasto20Purples207-28-2016.jpg

And.... a slightly less-blue shot of "Blasto Island". The rock is roughly 7" x 6" oval shape....for size reference.

Blasto20Garden207-28-2016.jpg

Love the blasto island! They are incredibly puffy in that picture! It'll look great all filled in! :D

• Like 1