Pod Your Reef

jacks cube -an unfinished story

jack1978

For Sancho......I'll pay $24.97......as long as I can make a few cuts.

you obviously haven't seen the inside of my house. Pretty sure I win the I start shit and don't finish it contest And I have quite a few really cool tools to cut shit up with......it's really too bad those same tools don't put shit back together as well as they can demo it.

A-men!

• Like 2

looks like a little girl version of my sawzall. For $24 thats not to bad probably come in handy for smaller projects.

RollaJase do you have Harbor Freight tools in Australia?

Unfortunately not but we have a few similar wholesale/warehouse stores for tools and the like. Still nowhere near as cheap as what you can get Stateside.

Unfortunately not but we have a few similar wholesale/warehouse stores for tools and the like. Still nowhere near as cheap as what you can get Stateside.

I guess that's the tradeoff for high taxes and socialized medicine :lol:

I am still tempted to smuggle a shit ton of cleaner shrimp there. Still trying to figure out the logistics of how to keister 1000 of those little guys. Now I need to add cheap power tools to the smuggle list. :P

I think I am gonna need some better lube B)

• Like 2

I guess that's the tradeoff for high taxes and socialized medicine :lol:

I am still tempted to smuggle a shit ton of cleaner shrimp there. Still trying to figure out the logistics of how to keister 1000 of those little guys. Now I need to add cheap power tools to the smuggle list. :P

I think I am gonna need some better lube B)

If you manage to get in any cleaner shrimp at a reasonable price I pledge to take at least 10 lol ;).

If you manage to get in any cleaner shrimp at a reasonable price I pledge to take at least 10 lol ;).

how much do they cost where you are?

how much do they cost where you are?

$120-150 for a red line cleaner, more for a pair. Even more for the ones that are slightly golden and red instead of just red and white.

• Like 2

$120-150 for a red line cleaner, more for a pair. Even more for the ones that are slightly golden and red instead of just red and white.

that's crazy! I thought the 29 at my lfs was too high for what they are.
  • Like 3

Holy motha......I want in on this shrimp smuggling deal.

• Like 2

My skunk cleaners hatched a gazillion babies last night and I watched them frantically swimming around as the fish went nuts eating them.

• Like 4

My skunk cleaners hatched a gazillion babies last night and I watched them frantically swimming around as the fish went nuts eating them.

Very cool......free fish food :^ )

the act of filling your pockets without wearing pants.

Hmmm, let's fill Sanchos pockets.......he gained a lot of experience in prison......hopefully they don't just fall out.

• Like 2

/jealous

Why you tease us with no pics?

Boofing lol, I never heard that one :)

Cuz I'm driving.....posting pics while driving would not be responsible.

Boofing, me neither.......kids these days.

They seem to be reverse of the green and purples I got. These are purple with green centers.....I think. They were in a tank corner, under the overflow with only a few blue LEDs illuminating the tank. I felt like I was at Salt Critters......my face was only 10" away from the coral, and I couldn't tell what color the coral was.

Hoping they're not actually red.

• Like 4

that's crazy! I thought the 29 at my lfs was too high for what they are.

If I could get them for $29 I would probably have a couple of them lol. Porcelain crabs, sexy shrimp, all of those cool critters fetch a price well over $100AUD here. Most definitely because they are not native to our waters and because they are brought in in such small quantities. Flame angels, yellow tangs, kole tangs designer clowns fetch a really high price also.

Sancho and I will cut you in ;).

• Like 2

Very morbid but cool! My fish did the same when my hermit crab spawned.

• Like 1

If I could get them for $29 I would probably have a couple of them lol. Porcelain crabs, sexy shrimp, all of those cool critters fetch a price well over $100AUD here. Most definitely because they are not native to our waters and because they are brought in in such small quantities. Flame angels, yellow tangs, kole tangs designer clowns fetch a really high price also.

Sancho and I will cut you in ;).

could you get some people near you to form a group buy and purchase inverts wholesale to buy in bigger quantities? I have no idea what cite laws there are on something like that, but alot of stuff we get over here is nowhere near america but we still get them for a decent price.

• Like 1

w

New blastos on the passenger seat...

/jealous
Why you tease us with no pics?
Boofing lol, I never heard that one :)

We need pictures when you get home. And quit typing while driving.

Back in highschool thats what you just called it if someone hid drugs up there ass. Haven't actually used that word in a LONG time, partly because it fell out of style, partly because I realized I was not a hardened crime lord somewhere around 10th or 11th grade. I think it got big around the same time dipset became popular for a week because of their song "honey dip" Its still the only word I know thats not cumbersome to describe hiding stuff in your butt though.

But back on track, those skunk cleaners are nice to look at and have a good personality if you want to call it that. I am not fond of the looks of the scarlett cleaners however. Maybe in a large reef I would like them more. I always wanted a skunk but did not want to spend more on a shrimp than i spent on all my fish, lol. If my peppermint ever pisses me off to the point of making fish food out of it again, I may be interested in one of the skunks.

• Like 2

could you get some people near you to form a group buy and purchase inverts wholesale to buy in bigger quantities? I have no idea what cite laws there are on something like that, but alot of stuff we get over here is nowhere near america but we still get them for a decent price.

We possibly could but reefing clubs like you have in the states are pretty much non existent here. When it comes to importing any live stock into Australia you need a permit otherwise the goods will either get turned back at customs or disposed of. As far as I am aware the only major wholesaler authorised the pretty much freely import and export marine livestock into and from Australia are Cairns Marine. Chances are, any 'Australian' livestock you buy in the States and Canada have come from Cairns Marine. They only really import stuff in from Hawaii, Indonesia and some of the other islands from what I remember. Don't even get me started on the price of Florida Ricordias...

We possibly could but reefing clubs like you have in the states are pretty much non existent here. When it comes to importing any live stock into Australia you need a permit otherwise the goods will either get turned back at customs or disposed of. As far as I am aware the only major wholesaler authorised the pretty much freely import and export marine livestock into and from Australia are Cairns Marine. Chances are, any 'Australian' livestock you buy in the States and Canada have come from Cairns Marine. They only really import stuff in from Hawaii, Indonesia and some of the other islands from what I remember. Don't even get me started on the price of Florida Ricordias...

That sucks! On the plus side, If you try to start a reefers club and it takes off, You could be the "jason fox" of Australia for breaking the mold.

In all honesty i have no idea what is so great about jason fox, but just saying a coral once was in his box of water makes a 12 dollar frag a 400 dollar frag. But you can rake in the dough instead of your current importer.

The easiest thing for you to do would be to just throw on a wet suit and enjoy all that beauty around you. Im sure you know about it more than I, Have the bleaching of the reef stopped yet?

• Like 1

That sucks! On the plus side, If you try to start a reefers club and it takes off, You could be the "jason fox" of Australia for breaking the mold.

In all honesty i have no idea what is so great about jason fox, but just saying a coral once was in his box of water makes a 12 dollar frag a 400 dollar frag. But you can rake in the dough instead of your current importer.

The easiest thing for you to do would be to just throw on a wet suit and enjoy all that beauty around you. Im sure you know about it more than I, Have the bleaching of the reef stopped yet?

TBH, I'd love to open up a frag shop on the side, do something like Glenn or maybe open a small store. Logistics are hard in Australia in regards to moving stuff around quickly but I think if I could start local I could make it work. There has been a huge increase in local reefing since I got into the hobby over 4 years ago so it might not do too badly locally. I just don't have the space to set up any frag tanks at the moment but would definitely be looking at doing something once I get my own place.

Yeah, $400 a frag is ridiculous but then again, people pay for it. Same as Ricordias over here, pricing ranges from $250-$600 for a single polyp and some people have tanks full of them.

A lot of the GBR reef situation has been blown out of proportion and is labelled purely as a result of global warming. A lot of the damage is caused by tourism (sunscreen and pollution etc.) but the hurricanes also cause a lot of damage. The reef is in danger however and the worst thing is that our government doesn't acknowledge it. If you ever get a chance to visit the GBR I highly recommend it. I have been once when I was much younger and would love to go back.

• Like 1

TBH, I'd love to open up a frag shop on the side, do something like Glenn or maybe open a small store. Logistics are hard in Australia in regards to moving stuff around quickly but I think if I could start local I could make it work. There has been a huge increase in local reefing since I got into the hobby over 4 years ago so it might not do too badly locally. I just don't have the space to set up any frag tanks at the moment but would definitely be looking at doing something once I get my own place.

Yeah, $400 a frag is ridiculous but then again, people pay for it. Same as Ricordias over here, pricing ranges from $250-$600 for a single polyp and some people have tanks full of them.

A lot of the GBR reef situation has been blown out of proportion and is labelled purely as a result of global warming. A lot of the damage is caused by tourism (sunscreen and pollution etc.) but the hurricanes also cause a lot of damage. The reef is in danger however and the worst thing is that our government doesn't acknowledge it. If you ever get a chance to visit the GBR I highly recommend it. I have been once when I was much younger and would love to go back.

I would love to see it in person but I'm going to be honest, I have terrible anxiety and hate planes, and an irrational fear of box jellyfish every time I think of Australia. Lol. We were upset though, we have a little over 2 weeks of all inclusive resorts all over the world we can use whenever we want and we're bummed to find out Australia is one of like 40 countries not included in the destination. :/ that's great to hear That the whole situation is being made bigger than it is, and the tourism is at least an answer on why government is unaknowledging of it.

How far do you live from the gbr? Was your visit there what sparked your interest in reefkeeping? As a local are you allowed to "frag" for yourself?

I know here, in Florida you are allowed to collect for yourself as long as no living reef-building corals or animals are taken, and any rubble is under golf ball sized.

• Like 2