Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

What is it now, the mexican turbo that's supposed to be awesome on that? Some kind of turbo I think anyway.

I added several Mexican Turbos to my tank in hopes that they would eat the Bryopsis (they didn't!). But I have to say there is not a shred of any other algae in my tank at this point. Today I actually put a seaweed sheet in so that the snails don't starve.

• Like 2
reefernanoman

He's been great! He may eventually outgrow the 10g tank, but I think it will take a while.

Since Doug 2 got all the love with the pictures last time, here are the rest of the fish:

Washington, the Green Banded Goby, being shy:

30250475065_ffefd7288b_b.jpgWashington - Green Banded Goby by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Jefferson, the other GBG:

30135175702_39c84c044f_b.jpgJefferson - Green Banded Goby by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Oswald, the Golden Assessor:

30164796861_50bcef4b89_b.jpgOswald - Golden Assessor by TeenyReef, on Flickr

This one cracks me up. He looks like a grumpy traffic cop :furious:

30135168412_4820a87efe_b.jpgOswald the Traffic Cop by TeenyReef, on Flickr

And finally, Fitzgerald, the Pink Streaked Wrasse:

30250473665_d8d68abdf7_b.jpgFitzgerald - Pink Streaked Wrasse by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Awesome teeny! Hey I'm currently dosing 2ML of 2part daily from ESV. How about you?

• Like 2

Teeny, your fish are so cute in this tank. You have a lot of personality packed in this tank!

Thanks, Dawn! It's nice to have enough active fish so that there's always some movement in the tank. And the shyer fish are out a lot more since the clowns went to live in the 40g.

I added several Mexican Turbos to my tank in hopes that they would eat the Bryopsis (they didn't!). But I have to say there is not a shred of any other algae in my tank at this point. Today I actually put a seaweed sheet in so that the snails don't starve.

I don't think any snails eat bryopsis but it was worth a try! Hopefully my cleanup crew can keep up if I maintain the toothbrush routine to get rid of the worst of it.

Awesome teeny! Hey I'm currently dosing 2ML of 2part daily from ESV. How about you?

Thanks! My dosing varies depending on how the SPS are doing. Right now it's at a low point, about 1.5 ml/day. But I've had it as high as 4 ml/day when the SPS are growing.

I suspect the GHA outbreak has affected the SPS growth rates.

I just remembered I took this little video of Doug 2 the other week. I was feeding the tank and a little bit of brine shrimp was stuck in the pump when it came back on.

Doug 2 was determined to get it, but he just couldn't quite swim fast enough :lol:

• Like 13

Great video and loving the new fish :) It's fun to see tanks that are this great!

Thanks!

After all the algae scraping, I'm seeing a bit of a spike in nutrients. Nitrates are around 4 or 5. Time to bump up the NoPox dosage.

But the PhosphateRx is doing it's job. I dose one drop per day, and it's right at .01 right now. I may drop back to two days on, one day off, to try to keep it stable, just above zero, but .03 or less.

• Like 2
jedimasterben

Gaaahhhh! Teeny, you keep making me want a Doug of my own! But I am afraid the fins of my betta (though it is super tiny as it is) will be too enticing.

• Like 2

Gaaahhhh! Teeny, you keep making me want a Doug of my own! But I am afraid the fins of my betta (though it is super tiny as it is) will be too enticing.

Doug doesn't really pay any attention at all to the other fish. He just likes brine shrimp and whatever pods and other goodies he finds in the rocks. Not that this makes it any easier for you :D

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Doug doesn't really pay any attention at all to the other fish. He just likes brine shrimp and whatever pods and other goodies he finds in the rocks. Not that this makes it any easier for you :D

I don't think your other inhabitants have any long, flowy fins, though. :/

• Like 1

I don't think your other inhabitants have any long, flowy fins, though. :/

Nope. The assessor is the closest thing to long flowy fins (the tail), but it's nothing like a betta.

Awesome and inspiring Teeny! I love your tanks. Your fish and names are the best!

Do you use Lightroom or Photoshop? I know you told me, but cannot remember. I would like to start playing around to get my pictures to look as nice and bright as yours.

Has Doug II eaten any of the vermetid snails yet?

• Like 1

Literally spent a few hours cruising this thread from the beginning... don't judge me, lol. This is an epic little tank, the toby and the pink streaked wrasse are awesome! I'm not very familiar with wrasses, but have you noticed any aggressive tendencies from the pink streaked wrasse like I've heard the 6 line wrasses have? I really like the pink streaked, and may put him on my stock list :)

• Like 1

Oswald is a character! Hi Teeny - how are you? I've been away for a bit, just catching up on your thread.

The names of presidents is an awesome idea!

Doug is very cute!

Hi Kat, thanks for stopping by! I guess it was my turn to be busy :blush:

Sadly, I lost Lincoln and Roosevelt when I crashed the 4g tank, but Washington and Jefferson are going strong :)

Awesome and inspiring Teeny! I love your tanks. Your fish and names are the best!

Do you use Lightroom or Photoshop? I know you told me, but cannot remember. I would like to start playing around to get my pictures to look as nice and bright as yours.

Has Doug II eaten any of the vermetid snails yet?

Thanks! I use Lightroom almost all the time, but Photoshop has an awesome filter for shake removal that use for most close-cropped shots. That's really the only reason I ever open Photoshop.

I haven't seen Doug 2 eat any vermetids yet. But I also haven't seen nearly as many as there used to be. So he may be eating them when they're very small, and they never get a chance to grow up.

Literally spent a few hours cruising this thread from the beginning... don't judge me, lol. This is an epic little tank, the toby and the pink streaked wrasse are awesome! I'm not very familiar with wrasses, but have you noticed any aggressive tendencies from the pink streaked wrasse like I've heard the 6 line wrasses have? I really like the pink streaked, and may put him on my stock list :)

Wow, that's a real time investment :lol: But thanks!

Pink streaked wrasses are not aggressive at all, they're actually a little shy. They are great tank mates with other fish, and they don't grow very large. Nothing like a 6-line at all. They are a great choice for a nano tank like this one.

Do you have a build thread? I'd love to check out your tank :)

• Like 1

Those Acans are fantastic. I hope doug 2 fares better than doug 1. Good luck.

Thanks! So far he's doing great, and I'm going to be much more careful about keeping the screen on! fingerscrossed

Your tank is always an inspiration.

Thanks - I hope your tank is doing well and the GBG is still healthy :)

• Like 1

Wow, that's a real time investment :lol: But thanks!

Pink streaked wrasses are not aggressive at all, they're actually a little shy. They are great tank mates with other fish, and they don't grow very large. Nothing like a 6-line at all. They are a great choice for a nano tank like this one.

Do you have a build thread? I'd love to check out your tank :)

Just added it to my sig. :)

The rainbow acans are improving steadily. The babies are hard to see from the top, but they are coming out with lots of color :)

30177889340_102a68c3ab_b.jpgAcan Garden by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I love acans and these are so pretty teeny. My never fared well, probably because I never fed them.
  • Like 1

Thanks - I hope your tank is doing well and the GBG is still healthy :)

Thanks! Things are coming along. The GBG is doing very well so far! He is eating everything in sight and putting on weight.

• Like 1

Speaking of GBGs...jut noticed my male is missing an eye :o. Not sure how long it's been that way. It's not that noticeable unless you are really looking closely. I was surprised to see it though. Probably did it when he was squeezing into a hole in the rock. They like to squeeze into the tiniest holes and it always makes me nervous. I worry they won't be able to get back out. But they always wriggle right out.

• Like 1

Speaking of GBGs...jut noticed my male is missing an eye :o. Not sure how long it's been that way. It's not that noticeable unless you are really looking closely. I was surprised to see it though. Probably did it when he was squeezing into a hole in the rock. They like to squeeze into the tiniest holes and it always makes me nervous. I worry they won't be able to get back out. But they always wriggle right out.

Oh no! :blink: Poor GBG :(

Mine love all the little caves. One of them is kind of a nomad, but the other is always in the same cave in amongst the acans.

I bow down to this tank. :bowdown:

Edit: Love the puffer by the way! How has he been with the corals so far?

Wow, thanks! :blush:

Doug 2 is a Toby puffer (also called long-nosed sometimes), and the Tobies are much more reef safe. He hasn't bothered the corals at all. The tobies like small crustaceans, so I moved my sexy shrimp into the 40g tank. But I still have some snails and a hermit crab that he doesn't seem to have bothered.

The tank is still struggling a bit, with Not Quite Right syndrome in full effect. The gha has slowed down a bit but I'm still scrubbing the back wall and many places on the rocks every few days to keep it knocked back.

The acros are doing poorly, losing color, turning pale, and receding. I took off the smaller frags and moved them to the IM40 in hopes that they will recover. The two chalice corals are having the same problem - pale spots and receding.

Water quality is quite good, with nitrates between 1 and 3, and phosphates at about .03 or less most days. But I've had to significantly reduce my dosing level of two part to keep alk stable, so clearly the corals are growing much more slowly.

I've looked for pests but haven't spotted any. I think the gha is an indication of some kind of underlying water quality issue, though.

• Like 1

I rechecked parameters and while nitrates are at 1, phosphates are at .15, up from .03 on Monday. And nitrates were at 2 on Monday, so the two parameters are headed in opposite directions. I think that is another indication that something's out of balance in the tank.

I've experimented with a couple different filtration options over the past month or two. I've got some Brightwell Xport-NO3 cubes in the basket, along with some free Chemipure Blue I got at MACNA. I'm going to pull all that out and replace it with straight carbon, siphon out the back chambers, and get more aggressive at stirring up the sand bed.

Here are some of the SPS that are doing poorly. Lots of pale spots on this acro, although the stylo behind it seems to be fine.

30515305392_490f9f4907_b.jpg20161028-untitled-006-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

The red chalice may be a goner. It's in the shade, so I don't know what else to do for it :(

30515303292_0a32f5e008_b.jpg20161028-untitled-004-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

The blue chalice isn't thriving, but it's doing much better than the red one.

30515304122_dc2e3d5933_b.jpg20161028-untitled-005-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

On a happier note, the angel eye favites are doing great.

30515300982_ffc0a7903c_b.jpgAngel Eyes Favia by TeenyReef, on Flickr

And I just can't get enough of the rainbow acan babies :wub:

30515302282_2648e33e9f_b.jpgRainbow Acans by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 12