Cultivated Reef

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

so cute! sounds like a great fish for a nano

He's been great! He may eventually outgrow the 10g tank, but I think it will take a while.

Since Doug 2 got all the love with the pictures last time, here are the rest of the fish:

Washington, the Green Banded Goby, being shy:

30250475065_ffefd7288b_b.jpgWashington - Green Banded Goby by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Jefferson, the other GBG:

30135175702_39c84c044f_b.jpgJefferson - Green Banded Goby by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Oswald, the Golden Assessor:

30164796861_50bcef4b89_b.jpgOswald - Golden Assessor by TeenyReef, on Flickr

This one cracks me up. He looks like a grumpy traffic cop :furious:

30135168412_4820a87efe_b.jpgOswald the Traffic Cop by TeenyReef, on Flickr

And finally, Fitzgerald, the Pink Streaked Wrasse:

30250473665_d8d68abdf7_b.jpgFitzgerald - Pink Streaked Wrasse by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 20

In a classic example of how easily things can get out of control when I don't pay attention, I've got some kind of gha trying to take over. I first noticed it when it started covering my halimeda. Then I noticed it's been growing on the back wall, and then I started seeing bits of it on the rocks around some of the corals. And now that I've looked carefully on backside of the rocks in the back of the tank, it's all over those rocks. :(

I removed one of the zoa rocks that was the worst off and put some drops of peroxide on it, and tried to manually clean off the halimeda. I suspect the halimeda is toast, though.

I'd been dealing with a bit of a nutrient spike for the last couple weeks, but nitrates were only at about 5, so I wasn't worried about it. But now I suspect the nutrients were actually a lot higher and it was masked by the algae consuming most of it.

I tested nitrates the other day at 1, though, so I think the best thing to do is reduce feeding and remove as much as I can manually.

I think the other reason for the outbreak may be that I have way fewer snails/crabs/shrimp since I got the puffer. I removed the sexy shrimp and the hermits before Doug 1 went into the tank. I haven't seen either Doug eating snails but it may be time for a new snail bomb.

I put a hermit crab in the tank a week ago, just to see if he'd eat any of it. It's hard to tell if he is, but it isn't making much difference yet. Hopefully Doug 2 will leave him alone.

• Like 3

In a classic example of how easily things can get out of control when I don't pay attention, I've got some kind of gha trying to take over. I first noticed it when it started covering my halimeda. Then I noticed it's been growing on the back wall, and then I started seeing bits of it on the rocks around some of the corals. And now that I've looked carefully on backside of the rocks in the back of the tank, it's all over those rocks. :(

I removed one of the zoa rocks that was the worst off and put some drops of peroxide on it, and tried to manually clean off the halimeda. I suspect the halimeda is toast, though.

I'd been dealing with a bit of a nutrient spike for the last couple weeks, but nitrates were only at about 5, so I wasn't worried about it. But now I suspect the nutrients were actually a lot higher and it was masked by the algae consuming most of it.

I tested nitrates the other day at 1, though, so I think the best thing to do is reduce feeding and remove as much as I can manually.

I think the other reason for the outbreak may be that I have way fewer snails/crabs/shrimp since I got the puffer. I removed the sexy shrimp and the hermits before Doug 1 went into the tank. I haven't seen either Doug eating snails but it may be time for a new snail bomb.

I put a hermit crab in the tank a week ago, just to see if he'd eat any of it. It's hard to tell if he is, but it isn't making much difference yet. Hopefully Doug 2 will leave him alone.

I have had a bit of that myself. it only seems ot be a problem on back walls, power head and return.

I usually sypon off what is on back wall, I did last night during water change, Powerhead I switched out for the one in the mixing bucket and just finished scrubbing with vin, and peroxidie and dropped that one in the mixing bucket.

I had a tuft of hair algae on a rock for month, it seemed to just stay in that spot and actually looked attractive until one day it totally vanished.

I have also had a nutrient spike hence my latest algae outbreak

• Like 1
jedimasterben

When my skimmer pump died, GHA dicked up my tank, too, but I too had something happen with halimeda - I went from having zero halimeda to all of a sudden a tiny sprig of it has popped up right front and center :lol:

I guess my rabbitfish my wife killed thought it was tasty, so now that it's not around, it can grow to its heart's content. :)

• Like 1

I have had a bit of that myself. it only seems ot be a problem on back walls, power head and return.

I usually sypon off what is on back wall, I did last night during water change, Powerhead I switched out for the one in the mixing bucket and just finished scrubbing with vin, and peroxidie and dropped that one in the mixing bucket.

I had a tuft of hair algae on a rock for month, it seemed to just stay in that spot and actually looked attractive until one day it totally vanished.

I have also had a nutrient spike hence my latest algae outbreak

It's interesting that mine seems to flourish the best in the lower light areas like the very dark back of the tank. But it definitely has suddenly taken on the whole tank :(

At least thats easier to get rid of the bryopsis !!! Everything looks awesome though !!!

Thanks! My old toothbrush is my new best friend :)

It comes off really easily with the toothbrush so the only spots left are the areas I can't reach with the toothbrush. I went crazy with it last night and created a GHA storm, but the filter got it all out pretty quickly, and everything looked happy today.

• Like 2

I love your choice of fish for this small tank!

Thanks! They all are getting along really well :)

Someday I'll get my RBTA in my 40g to bubble like your nems do, they're obviously very happy in your tank!

When my skimmer pump died, GHA dicked up my tank, too, but I too had something happen with halimeda - I went from having zero halimeda to all of a sudden a tiny sprig of it has popped up right front and center :lol:

I guess my rabbitfish my wife killed thought it was tasty, so now that it's not around, it can grow to its heart's content. :)

I'm glad your is coming back! I actually took my halimea out and scrubbed it with a toothbrush, I figured that's better than just throwing it away. :happy:

What is it now, the mexican turbo that's supposed to be awesome on that? Some kind of turbo I think anyway.

Hmmm, good idea, I'll have to do some research if manual control plus improved parameters don't do the trick.

Lovely photos :), the green banded goby photos are amazing.

Thanks, Jase! The GBG's are so entertaining :)

• Like 2

Mine went not noticed for a few months then nutrients got up and it exploded literally within a few day and now eveeything i do isnt getting rid of it lol. I wish i had it that easy -___-

• Like 1

Mine went not noticed for a few months then nutrients got up and it exploded literally within a few day and now eveeything i do isnt getting rid of it lol. I wish i had it that easy -___-

We'll see if mine actually goes away. I don't think I want to scrub the whole tank with a toothbrush every week :lol:

Good luck getting rid of yours!

Cencalfishguy56

Thanks! They all are getting along really well :)

Someday I'll get my RBTA in my 40g to bubble like your nems do, they're obviously very happy in your tank!

I'm glad your is coming back! I actually took my halimea out and scrubbed it with a toothbrush, I figured that's better than just throwing it away. :happy:

Hmmm, good idea, I'll have to do some research if manual control plus improved parameters don't do the trick.

Thanks, Jase! The GBG's are so entertaining :)

i love BTAs! I wanted to do a BTA tank but just can't stay away from coral lol idk what I do but they sure are always happy, I'm thinking about getting a few of those GBGs for the fusion 10
  • Like 1

So I always wanted a puffer. But Doug makes me realize I NEED a puffer. My husband doesn't like them which is why I've yet to have one. But he did admit Doug is adorable.

If he (Doug) needs to munch, would he just munch on your snails or hermits (I usually run hermit-less but I could buy sacrificial hermits. they're spawns of satan anyways)? not your coral?

What are his swimming patterns like? I think a clown pair, a puffer, a gold assesor and a blenny would be the bees knees for my upcoming 25.

Edit to add: I've found my RBTA lose bubbles when it wants real food. Then half a silverside later they're all puffed up and bubbly again. Maybe try that if you haven't already?

• Like 1

i love BTAs! I wanted to do a BTA tank but just can't stay away from coral lol idk what I do but they sure are always happy, I'm thinking about getting a few of those GBGs for the fusion 10

I think GBG's are a great fish for small tanks like a Fusion 10 :)

So I always wanted a puffer. But Doug makes me realize I NEED a puffer. My husband doesn't like them which is why I've yet to have one. But he did admit Doug is adorable.

If he (Doug) needs to munch, would he just munch on your snails or hermits (I usually run hermit-less but I could buy sacrificial hermits. they're spawns of satan anyways)? not your coral?

What are his swimming patterns like? I think a clown pair, a puffer, a gold assesor and a blenny would be the bees knees for my upcoming 25.

Edit to add: I've found my RBTA lose bubbles when it wants real food. Then half a silverside later they're all puffed up and bubbly again. Maybe try that if you haven't already?

Doug is part of the Toby puffer family (canthigaster), and they are generally smaller and more reef-friendly. There's a good article on them here: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/5/fish

From what I've read, they will go for crabs, shrimp, and snails. And I actually got Doug 1 in hopes that he would eat my vermetid snail population. So I'm happy to buy the occasional snail bomb or sacrificial hermit if necessary. But so far I haven't seen him touch any of my snails or my lone hermit. Probably because he's still pretty small :)

I think your fish selection sounds great for a 25! Just make sure you skim because it will be a fairly heavy bioload, especially as they get bigger.

I feed my RBTA almost every night, and he gets very big and puffy. Just no bubbles. I suspect it may be a lack of light because he's in the back of the tank near the bottom, over to the side, so it's one of the spots with the least PAR. But he chose that spot and he hasn't moved, so I'm not going to try to convince him to move :lol:

I hadn't seen your thread before, I'll have to check it out!

Cencalfishguy56

i feed mine NLS pellets every other day, could be the reason? Lol
  • Like 1

Oh, and Doug 2's swims around like a little helicopter. He uses his pectoral fins to move around, so he kind of hovers in place, examining the rocks nearby for something to eat. Then he darts in to snap something up, and hovers over to the next spot. Kind of like a hummingbird, I guess.

• Like 1

Doug is part of the Toby puffer family (canthigaster), and they are generally smaller and more reef-friendly. There's a good article on them here: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/5/fish

From what I've read, they will go for crabs, shrimp, and snails. And I actually got Doug 1 in hopes that he would eat my vermetid snail population. So I'm happy to buy the occasional snail bomb or sacrificial hermit if necessary. But so far I haven't seen him touch any of my snails or my lone hermit. Probably because he's still pretty small :)

I think your fish selection sounds great for a 25! Just make sure you skim because it will be a fairly heavy bioload, especially as they get bigger.

I feed my RBTA almost every night, and he gets very big and puffy. Just no bubbles. I suspect it may be a lack of light because he's in the back of the tank near the bottom, over to the side, so it's one of the spots with the least PAR. But he chose that spot and he hasn't moved, so I'm not going to try to convince him to move :lol:

I hadn't seen your thread before, I'll have to check it out!

haha. Nothing much there now unfortunately. We just moved and I have to wait for one house to sell and then a house to buy and then I can set the tank up.

It might be the light. Mine was at the very top of my 85 shallow (17 inches tall) and the lights sat 9 inches off the water and ran at a max of 75%. so a lot of light. But I put him in right at the top where the vendor told me (claimed it liked a ton of light) and she was not lying. lol

I plan on getting the IM Ghost for it. is it working well for you? I have seen a lot of mixed reviews.

• Like 1

Well I guess I'll just have to be patient and watch your thread :)

On the ghost skimmer, it's OK, but in the 25 you do have a few other options. If you check Dave Fason's IM25 thread (he has since switched to the dropoff tank), I think he was using the Tunze skimmer but somehow wedging it into the center chamber. But not much else fits.

I just posted some comments on the ghost in the IM10 thread:

The IM desktop skimmer is pretty much the only non-air skimmer that will fit, unfortunately. I don't like it much but through a lot of trial and error I've figured out how to get mine working pretty well.

I can't really complain about the skimmate, it's pretty good. But microbubbles can be a sporadic problem at settings less the fully open. And fully open can be loud, although sometimes it's more quiet than other times.

I have learned that sometimes when there are microbubbles, if I shake the skimmer up and down, or pull it out enough to wiggle the pump a little bit, it sometimes gets rid of them. No idea why...