SaltCritters.com

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

Hi Teeny!!

Sorry about Doug I, but glad Doug II is doing well!!

I must have been lucky with my purple firefish, cause it NEVER jumped!! I would always leave my tank "un-lid-ed" for 2-4 hours during a water change!!

• Like 1

So that was like what... 12-15mL?

I use BRS dosers, so one minute is about 1.1ml. I've got alk set up to dose six times a day, so it was about six ml per day.

It didn't stay at that level very long. My more typical level has been about 3 ml per day.

Hi Teeny!!

Sorry about Doug I, but glad Doug II is doing well!!

I must have been lucky with my purple firefish, cause it NEVER jumped!! I would always leave my tank "un-lid-ed" for 2-4 hours during a water change!!

Hi Kimber, welcome back! I see you've been working hard today to catch up on old threads :lol:

That's good about your firefish - it seems like all I ever hear about it firefish jumping.

• Like 1

Whoa... One minute 1.1mL? That can't be right... The bubble magus must work differently and pumps faster...

Yep, totally different. The BRS dosers go very slowly and allow a lot of control.

My Jebao doser pumps about 1 ml per second, on the other hand.

Ah... I see. Those darn fancy hospital doser

Yep! It really is nice for a small tank. When I used the Jebao, not matter how I set it, everything was either way too much or way too little. With the BRS dosers I can time it down to the second, and even in a 10g tank that can make the difference.

One observation on the BRS dosers:

1.1ml per minute seems to offer more accuracy and precision than most dosers on the market (certainly at that price point).

HOWEVER, that does not translate to .018ml/sec.

Since it has 2 rollers on the tube, it pumps a 'portion' twice per revolution, so the doser is really only precise in 180° intervals. If you watch the liquid dripping out of the doser, you can see that it will drip for a few seconds, and then pause for a few seconds, based on where in the 360° rotation the 2 rollers are. I haven't timed it out, but I believe it makes 1 RPM.

That said, it all averages out fine in the long run, but if you're trying to run it for 6 seconds per interval to dose 0.11ml, you will average 0.11ml, but won't get the same amount every time.

• Like 1

That's a great point and absolutely correct. If I only dosed once or twice per day, then making those fine-tuned adjustments wouldn't work out very precisely. I dose calc and alk six times a day, so, like you said, it should average out - a little less one dose, and little more in the next dose.

One week results? :)

Funny you should ask, I just finished taking pictures. :D

Not much has really changed. I don't think I've had any snails or other creatures die, which is good. It does kind of seem that the light colored gha is breaking up a little more easily when I baste the rocks. There's certainly a snowstorm of stuff every time I baste, and I'm doing it a least once or twice a day. But it could just be wishful thinking :rolleyes:

The darker gha seems unchanged so far.

30992226105_2702baed25_b.jpg20161114_200712.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

30957113416_c1307738aa_b.jpg20161114_200755.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

22813736098_14ce8dc138_b.jpg20161114_200905_001.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Here's a better FTS than I had last week, too.

30991344845_08601af7c5_b.jpg2016-11-14 IM10 FTS by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 5

Yep, totally different. The BRS dosers go very slowly and allow a lot of control.

My Jebao doser pumps about 1 ml per second, on the other hand.

One observation on the BRS dosers:

1.1ml per minute seems to offer more accuracy and precision than most dosers on the market (certainly at that price point).

HOWEVER, that does not translate to .018ml/sec.

Since it has 2 rollers on the tube, it pumps a 'portion' twice per revolution, so the doser is really only precise in 180° intervals. If you watch the liquid dripping out of the doser, you can see that it will drip for a few seconds, and then pause for a few seconds, based on where in the 360° rotation the 2 rollers are. I haven't timed it out, but I believe it makes 1 RPM.

That said, it all averages out fine in the long run, but if you're trying to run it for 6 seconds per interval to dose 0.11ml, you will average 0.11ml, but won't get the same amount every time.

Well shoot... it looks like i should have done more research before i bought my Jebo.. it may probably pump out way more then i want to for my little 10g tank... i need to set up a test area and do some weeks of testing to see how much it really pumps.. or do some dilutions...

Teeny how easy was it to program the BRS dosers? Does it let you specify what days or how often. I only need to dose about 1 ml every other day.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Teeny how easy was it to program the BRS dosers? Does it let you specify what days or how often. I only need to dose about 1 ml every other day.

BRS dosers have no controller or anything, just an AC plug that when they have power they dose, so you need a controller to use them.

• Like 1

Well shoot... it looks like i should have done more research before i bought my Jebo.. it may probably pump out way more then i want to for my little 10g tank... i need to set up a test area and do some weeks of testing to see how much it really pumps.. or do some dilutions...

If you have an Apex controller, then this site will generate the code for you to program the BRS (or any outlet-based on/off) doser:

http://www.reeftronics.net/adpg/dosingcalc.php/

You can get even fancier and add day of the week restrictions, but I think that covers what most people need.

(Apex Fusion appears to have recently removed their DOSER control type from the outlet programming, but it was incompatible with BRS as it didn't allow freeform entry of the pump's ml/min speed and didn't have 1.1 as an option from the drop-down menu, so the code output from the reeftronics website would be used with the ADVANCED control type)

If you don't have an Apex, you'd have to put the BRS dosers on a digital timer, some of which can control down to the second, but programming would vary based on the timer model you use.

I used the BRS dosers as my excuse to pull the plug and buy an Apex... :)

• Like 1

If you have an Apex controller, then this site will generate the code for you to program the BRS (or any outlet-based on/off) doser:

http://www.reeftronics.net/adpg/dosingcalc.php/

You can get even fancier and add day of the week restrictions, but I think that covers what most people need.

(Apex Fusion appears to have recently removed their DOSER control type from the outlet programming, but it was incompatible with BRS as it didn't allow freeform entry of the pump's ml/min speed and didn't have 1.1 as an option from the drop-down menu, so the code output from the reeftronics website would be used with the ADVANCED control type)

If you don't have an Apex, you'd have to put the BRS dosers on a digital timer, some of which can control down to the second, but programming would vary based on the timer model you use.

I used the BRS dosers as my excuse to pull the plug and buy an Apex... :)

I have an apex light sorta no power cable and haven't bought a eb8 yet... what controller/ plug/ module does it require.. sorry teeny for hijacking your thread alittle

• Like 1

Just any outlet on the EB4 or the EB8 will work (technically better to use mechanical relay outlets - #4 or #8 on EB8 or any on EB4 to ensure it turns off properly, but an easy workaround is to add additional load to the outlet, like an indicator lightbulb)

• Like 2

Just any outlet on the EB4 or the EB8 will work (technically better to use mechanical relay outlets - #4 or #8 on EB8 or any on EB4 to ensure it turns off properly, but an easy workaround is to add additional load to the outlet, like an indicator lightbulb)

Yep, that's how I do it, I have an EB4 along with the EB8 for this tank, and all four BRS dosers are on the EB4 (calcium, alk, nopox, and acropower).

I wouldn't worry about it. Just dilute the dosing solution with RODO for use with the Jebao, that's what I did before I got the BRS dosers. I found that a 25% strength solution seemed to work pretty well, but even there I only needed to dose for a few seconds a day.

Hey I'm using Vibrant too! I've only dosed about 4 times, and haven't cleaned the glass for days. :D

Hope you get good results Teeny!

Thanks for letting me know! I haven't seen a dramatic change yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed :)

Just put in my fifth dose of Vibrant (1ml, twice a week). Every few days it seems like the gha is breaking up and blowing off a little easier, but then it comes back in another day or two. So I don't know if it's doing any real good or not, but I'm willing to give it more time since it's only been two weeks since the first dose.

Here are the updated progress pics for this week.

2016-11-21 FTS. You can actually find all five fish in this shot if you play "Where's Waldo" for the second GBG :D

30344867864_a1e28de660_b.jpg2016-11-21 IM10 FTS by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Same three cell phone shots. I'm trying to keep cropping, white balance, and exposure about the same from one week to the next. But I can't do anything about the fish photobombing :)

30358901683_344a5784b6_b.jpg20161121_190850.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

31052136841_799738725d_b.jpg20161121_190946.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

30358904553_42e63877e2_b.jpg20161121_191029.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 4

The dendros are having lots of babies :wub:

31024464172_5e2534a960_b.jpgDendro babies by TeenyReef, on Flickr

And in other news, my parents, who still buy me birthday presents, came through this year with a new Eshopps skimmer! I'm happy to report it fits fine in the second chamber, and it's already producing skimmate 24 hours after installing it. And it's way quieter than the IM desktop ghost.

31023219352_e870b23d6d_b.jpg20161120_200843.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 7

Is that the eshopps nano skimmer? I use that one :)

How's your puffer liking it in there? Super cute. :wub: I was thinking about getting one for my 10. I'm just so worried about a fish getting stung by all the rfas...

• Like 1

Fish seem to know to stay away. My little yellow clown goby, clowns, 6 line, they all would swim around them. Like they just knew to go above it, by it but not on it.

• Like 1

Is that the eshopps nano skimmer? I use that one :)

How's your puffer liking it in there? Super cute. :wub: I was thinking about getting one for my 10. I'm just so worried about a fish getting stung by all the rfas...

Yes it is! I got it partly based on your good experience with it - thanks!

Doug 2 is doing just great. He sleeps in the back during the day and pokes all around the tank when the lights get a little dimmer, but he's not shy about the lights when it's feeding time. He goes after frozen brine shrimp and even mysis shrimp, and he doesn't bother the corals at all.

Fish seem to know to stay away. My little yellow clown goby, clowns, 6 line, they all would swim around them. Like they just knew to go above it, by it but not on it.

My fish left my big green RFA alone too. I've heard a few other people report RFA's eating their fish but it seems to be unusual.

Yes it is! I got it partly based on your good experience with it - thanks!

Doug 2 is doing just great. He sleeps in the back during the day and pokes all around the tank when the lights get a little dimmer, but he's not shy about the lights when it's feeding time. He goes after frozen brine shrimp and even mysis shrimp, and he doesn't bother the corals at all.

My fish left my big green RFA alone too. I've heard a few other people report RFA's eating their fish but it seems to be unusual.

Most likely the fish was a little ill already, in sleeping maybe it floated into the rfa. That I could see perhaps.

• Like 1