inTank Media Baskets

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

I have some aptasia also and the Aptasia Rx looks like it's working cuz the tentacles melt away but the foot is still lodged so as long as it's there that's why those little shits come back. I also have a couple that are more bulbous on the ends and they weren't killed by the regiment either. My friends bought a laser, I want to know if it works. I'm gonna shoot them an email.

I'd stay away from the laser treatment. I tried it and while it was fun to watch them explode, I think every single cell that isn't vaporized turns into a whole new organism within a few weeks. My tank went from a few to dozens after I lasered the bastards.

• Like 2

Im glad to hear they are looking better in the other tank... Sad that things have gone this way though...i loved the look of the old tank.

BUT

This means you'll be re scaping and basically doing something new which will be fun to watch! Also means the 40 will look a little fuller ;)

• Like 2

I've heard the lasers just make them multiply, but maybe your friend had better luck. Since I can actually take the rocks out now, I'm going to burn them out with a little torch.

Plus this gives me an excuse to go buy a little torch. Stocking stuffer! :D

Maybe I can use the torch lighter that you use for candles & such.

• Like 1

Maybe I can use the torch lighter that you use for candles & such.

A lighter would work as long as you can hold the rock in the right position and the foot isn't buried too deeply.

Im glad to hear they are looking better in the other tank... Sad that things have gone this way though...i loved the look of the old tank.

BUT

This means you'll be re scaping and basically doing something new which will be fun to watch! Also means the 40 will look a little fuller ;)

Well, the 40 is definitely a lot fuller now! I really need a working frag tank, but the 4g keeps getting taken over with algae. I'm going to try to keep the monti caps, and I'm not planning to change the scape much. I just have to be able to take it apart to get it reset.

Hopefully the Acans recover. I went through a meltdown last year but this year, so far, all are doing ok.

Thanks, Mark. Acans are weird, I've had a couple times now where they melt down for no apparent reason. It's like they all get some virulent and highly communicable infectious disease.

I have been following and have felt really bad for you. Its a shame to have to resort to such drastic measures but after reading that your acans already look better I think you are doing the right thing.

Thanks, Dawn! Even though this is drastic, it's better than taking the whole thing down and starting over. Besides, I really want to know if I can recover the tank by doing massive cleaning and water changes. If it doesn't work, then I'll know for sure I have no choice other than to do a complete reboot.

Soft reboot as in softie tank? Orrr as in just overhauling it?

Sorry to see such a pretty little tank get broken down. Im sure it will be back to its former glory in no time.

Thanks! Soft reboot as in not as extreme as a hard reboot. It would be nice to continue to keep SPS, and easy to keep SPS like the monti caps should be able to stay in there. But right now I can't even keep most softies, so I've got to get it cleaned up and working right again.

Here's what the tank looks like now after removing all the corals from the back rocks. Other than the monti caps and the polyps on the right side, there are no corals at all on the back rocks. Just algae, vermetid snails, aiptasia, and encrusted crud.

My goal is to clean up the surface of the rocks without killing the monticaps and without killing the bacteria population in the rocks.

31665996372_c2493d88a2_b.jpg2016-12-22 IM10 FTS by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 4

Just to record progress, here's a rough picture of the acans the day after I moved them to the 40g. They still look rough and receded in the middle, but now the tissue around the sides has started to puff up, which I hadn't seen in months in this tank.

31440688390_99dbce8633_b.jpgAcans recovering by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Oh, and that's a tiny blue slimer frag in the middle :)

• Like 3

Sorry to hear about the reboot. But part of the fun in this hobby is seeing the problem through to resolution. Really satisfying to recognize and fix an issue with our tanks.

Speaking of an issue, my phosphates are high. Measuring at .30 PPM according to my Hanna Checker. My newly mixed SW is measuring at .02 PPM (which is small enough to be in the range of error for the instrument so I bet its even lower to non existent in the freshly mixed SW).

I see you were running GFO. Were you just putting it in a media bag? Im not going to plumb a reactor in for such a small tank. I'll probably either do GFO in a media bag or run Phosguard to bring the levels down and keep them under control.

Having 8 gallons of net water in the tank can really cause levels to raise rapidly if you dont watch out.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the reboot. But part of the fun in this hobby is seeing the problem through to resolution. Really satisfying to recognize and fix an issue with our tanks.

Speaking of an issue, my phosphates are high. Measuring at .30 PPM according to my Hanna Checker. My newly mixed SW is measuring at .02 PPM (which is small enough to be in the range of error for the instrument so I bet its even lower to no existent).

I see you were running GFO. Were you just putting it in a media bag? Im not going to plump a reactor in for such a small tank. I'll probably either do GFO in a media bag or run Phosguard to bring the levels down and keep them under control.

Having 8 gallons of net water in the tank can really cause levels to raise rapidly if you dont watch out.

Yes, to all of this :)

I run gfo in a bag, no reactor. It seems to last about two to three weeks that way. But since I"m only using a tablespoon or so, it's not like it's very expensive to replace it that often, and it's super easy to just change out for a new bag. I use cheap organza bag so they're disposable.

I've used Phosguard before but prefer gfo, just because Phosguard can be super powerful. I nearly killed the corals in my 4g tank before I knew better by using too much and the phosphates went down really fast. This has happened to a number of reefers here on N-R.

My advice either way is to use half the recommended amount and remeasure phosphates every few days after you start.

How are your nitrates? One lesson I've learned is to concentrate more on nitrates, and as long as they are low, the phosphates eventually follow, but it can take months.

• Like 1
RIP Sebastian

I can't believe I haven't asked this before, but how do you keep so many fish in a tank that size? The two that are in my 30 that aren't clowns hardly ever come out of the rock work unless they're being fed. I'm thinking of adding a firefish trio but I'm not sure if I hould. Thoughts?

• Like 1

I can't believe I haven't asked this before, but how do you keep so many fish in a tank that size? The two that are in my 30 that aren't clowns hardly ever come out of the rock work unless they're being fed. I'm thinking of adding a firefish trio but I'm not sure if I hould. Thoughts?

My other fish come out a lot more since I moved the clowns to the 40g tank. And even in that tank, they got a lot less territorial once Humphrey started hosting in the RBTA.

I probably have too many fish in this tank, although they are all very small other than Doug the puffer. And he's pretty small too, only about two inches.

RIP Sebastian

My other fish come out a lot more since I moved the clowns to the 40g tank. And even in that tank, they got a lot less territorial once Humphrey started hosting in the RBTA.

I probably have too many fish in this tank, although they are all very small other than Doug the puffer. And he's pretty small too, only about two inches.

Thank you!

• Like 1

Yes, to all of this :)

I run gfo in a bag, no reactor. It seems to last about two to three weeks that way. But since I"m only using a tablespoon or so, it's not like it's very expensive to replace it that often, and it's super easy to just change out for a new bag. I use cheap organza bag so they're disposable.

I've used Phosguard before but prefer gfo, just because Phosguard can be super powerful. I nearly killed the corals in my 4g tank before I knew better by using too much and the phosphates went down really fast. This has happened to a number of reefers here on N-R.

My advice either way is to use half the recommended amount and remeasure phosphates every few days after you start.

How are your nitrates? One lesson I've learned is to concentrate more on nitrates, and as long as they are low, the phosphates eventually follow, but it can take months.

Thanks for that info. I just used half a teaspoon of BRS GFO yesterday for the 1st time ever. I had to cut down the media bag I put it in as every bag out there is way too large for such small amounts. I'm curious to see what effect this small amount of GFO will have. I'm waiting till Monday to check Phosphates again so I guess I'll see soon.

I did end up ordering Phosguard from Amazon. If I end up using it, I'll half the recommended dosage.

I actually have never checked nitrates. I have a test kit so I'll check Nitrates and Phosphate on Monday when I do my scheduled water change.

• Like 1

I was using those for my carbon, I just paid more as I found a 5 pack at the local hobby shop. Now I'll go put them in my bucket on Amazon, let them sit there until I need salt next, which will be soon.

• Like 1

I was using those for my carbon, I just paid more as I found a 5 pack at the local hobby shop. Now I'll go put them in my bucket on Amazon, let them sit there until I need salt next, which will be soon.

The ones I posted are really small, but I also get bigger ones, about 3x5, for the bigger tanks.

Party bags in the reef!! Party!!! omgomogomg

They come in colors too! :lol:

Is this all just a ruse so you'll be eligible for TOTM again.

But seriously, sorry to hear about the troubles and hope the tank is well again soon.

Lol, I'll be happy if I can grow corals in this tank again. But thanks!

Nitrates and phosphates have doubled (16 and .23) since the great coralectomy but that was expected. I gave the tank a water change, plus new carbon and gfo for Christmas.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays!

• Like 4
Marc.The.Shark

First, sorry to still hear of all the issues with this tank. Sometimes it's so damn hard to nail down what's going on, especially when they run good for so long. Also, I tried to rid my previous tank of aptasia for 2 years with no luck. They were never really bad, just a couple here & there, but I had very porous rock & could never get 'em all. I watched my frags transferring from that tank to new one and figured I'd left all the dirty bastardo's (as Sancho would say) behind. Wouldn't you freakin' know it, just saw one on a pink Zola colony that I had in the old tank. I knew there was one hanging around there & thought I left it behind. Popped the whole colony off & tossed it! Hate those damn things & if They show up again I'm gonna try the Bhergia. No more messin' around!! Lol. I'm sure you'll get this figured out. I think the challenges are what make this hobby so interesting!

For a tablespoon or less, it's hard to beat these bags at 100 for $3.15 including free shipping :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009YUKAW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Second. Thanks for this ^^ !! Holy crap! Just made my life a lot easier! Never would of thought of using those. I keep trying to reuse the media bags I have(cause they're $$) and it's a PITA. I use an IM reactor, but still like the bags cause it's easier to clean/change out & these make it even better. Brilliant! lol

Merry Christmas!

• Like 1

Teenyreef I took your advice and tested for Nitrates. They are high. Somewhere north of 20 but below 50 as near as I can tell from those crappy color matching tests. Going to setup a vinegar dosing system to try and combat this. PO4 was only half what it used to be. Its down to .16 from .30.

Hopefully everything goes smoothly. Hope you had a merry christmas!

• Like 1

First, sorry to still hear of all the issues with this tank. Sometimes it's so damn hard to nail down what's going on, especially when they run good for so long. Also, I tried to rid my previous tank of aptasia for 2 years with no luck. They were never really bad, just a couple here & there, but I had very porous rock & could never get 'em all. I watched my frags transferring from that tank to new one and figured I'd left all the dirty bastardo's (as Sancho would say) behind. Wouldn't you freakin' know it, just saw one on a pink Zola colony that I had in the old tank. I knew there was one hanging around there & thought I left it behind. Popped the whole colony off & tossed it! Hate those damn things & if They show up again I'm gonna try the Bhergia. No more messin' around!! Lol. I'm sure you'll get this figured out. I think the challenges are what make this hobby so interesting!

Second. Thanks for this ^^ !! Holy crap! Just made my life a lot easier! Never would of thought of using those. I keep trying to reuse the media bags I have(cause they're $$) and it's a PITA. I use an IM reactor, but still like the bags cause it's easier to clean/change out & these make it even better. Brilliant! lol

Merry Christmas!

I'm glad the link for the bags helped you out! And I agree, aiptasia can be super hard to truly eliminate. Maybe if I can't get rid of mine I'll try renting some of Stella's Terminator Bhergias, they worked great in her tank.

Merry Christmas teeny!

I hope you had a great Christmas!