Coral Vue Hydros

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

I don't have any problems with my Micromussa's being in the cluster of Lord's either. But Echinata's may be a different story I have never kept them so I can't speak on that.

• Like 1

Hey Teeny,

just curious how the assessor is getting along with the others like the wrasse? I am considering adding another fish, but have seen mine become somewhat territorial - which is pretty normal I suppose. Let me know what you're experiencing.

They haven't had any issues. The pink streaked wrasse is a great little nano fish because they are not aggressive at all. Same for the assessor.

• Like 2

See I wasnt sure about the Acans. I know one I got was a lord but the other 3 didnt have Lord in the name and AquaSD didnt seem to know if they were Lords or Echinata. I read too many horror stories about the Echinatas so I chickened out.

• Like 2

See I wasnt sure about the Acans. I know one I got was a lord but the other 3 didnt have Lord in the name and AquaSD didnt seem to know if they were Lords or Echinata. I read too many horror stories about the Echinatas so I chickened out.

It's always better to be safe than sorry. The echinatas look different from the lords, and usually if the label just says "acan", then it's an acan lord.

Of course, acans got reclassified as micromussa within the last year, so that makes it even more confusing :lol:

• Like 1

When I read the article,I thought "really" but I still co sider them to still be in their own category. Seeming they look different. But science is science lol.

This is older,but a lot of mine are touching here:

IMG_20161103_084452.jpg

• Like 2

When I read the article,I thought "really" but I still co sider them to still be in their own category. Seeming they look different. But science is science lol.

This is older,but a lot of mine are touching here:

IMG_20161103_084452.jpg

Wow, those are awesome!

Now Im regretting my decision. Again!!

Thanks guys for that info. I should have read up more before I bought anything.

That's got to be the commonly used phrase amongst us reefers - "I should have read up more before I bought anything" :lol:

I can't tell you how many times I've said that to myself.

On the other hand, I think I learn a lot from my mistakes, so I probably know more now than if I'd always done my research first. If you know what I mean :rolleyes:

• Like 1

When I was changing the media the other night I found a little baby clam. I dropped him in the display :)

31330844312_1b2485ba9d_b.jpgBaby clam by TeenyReef, on Flickr

And since I don't have any pretty coral picture updates right now, here's one of Jasper "helping" us bring the Christmas decorations down from the attic :)

31330846602_f36021ec92_b.jpgJasper by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 13

I missed the doing the weekly progress FTS last week, but I caught up tonight. The ugly gray hair algae is still in the tank but no longer covers everything. It seems to be more concentrated in the spots where it was growing strongly and where I can't reach it with a toothbrush. This is a definite improvement over the conditions I had before starting to dose Vibrant. Before Vibrant, the gray algae was taking over everything, and would grow back over the spots I brushed off within a couple days.

The acans are still very thin, so as of Sunday I've started daily target feeding with reef roids, just on the acans. Hopefully this will fatten them up. I'm continuing to let nitrates and phosphates rise, and so far the algae hasn't bloomed in response.

31127015220_e9fb1ac824_b.jpg2016-12-07 IM10 FTS by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 13

Awesome, but my eyes go right to the puffer who seems to be looking out the tank asking 'good grief, what the heck is that!'

You're right! Maybe he's eyeing the jar of fish food next to the tank on that side :lol:

• Like 2

Teeny you break all the rules with a puffer in a reef tank. Awesome! Amazing how a clam hitchhiker lives this long to be found in the overflow.

I once found one living attached to my return pump! I coaxed it into moving, dropped it into the tank, and now it's survived a transfer and lives under one of my base rocks because there's no substrate to disturb it :P

• Like 1

I once found one living attached to my return pump! I coaxed it into moving, dropped it into the tank, and now it's survived a transfer and lives under one of my base rocks because there's no substrate to disturb it :P

That's cool!

I pulled out some of the rocks from the sandbed last night to apply peroxide on the worst gha spots, and found a few more baby clams growing on one of the rocks. I've found at least half a dozen in the tank now.

I am so far behind in this thread that I'm starting from the end and going backwards!! I love the new FTS!

Thanks! Get busy, you have some catching up to do :happy:

Teeny you break all the rules with a puffer in a reef tank. Awesome! Amazing how a clam hitchhiker lives this long to be found in the overflow.

Toby puffers are generally reef safe, with caution. They can go after crustaceans and snails but they generally leave corals alone.

I've found several baby clams but I was surprise to see one in the overflow. I pull the media caddy out every two weeks, so it's not like he grew there. He must have been swimming around trying to find a home and got sucked up into the overflow.

• Like 3

Whats Fitzgerald's favorite foods? I'm going to try another if Live Aquaria gets more in this spring. I'm working on feeding more and looking for better foods to try.

Right now I just feed mysis or spirulia brine once a week-ish. :unsure:

• Like 1

Whats Fitzgerald's favorite foods? I'm going to try another if Live Aquaria gets more in this spring. I'm working on feeding more and looking for better foods to try.

Right now I just feed mysis or spirulia brine once a week-ish. :unsure:

Fitzgerald loves spirulina brine, I think those are his favorite. He'll even go after mysis which is pretty funny to watch since he can only get a little bit of it into his mouth. I feed frozen probably three days out of four which keeps him happy.

I also throw in a bag of pods every three to six months, and of course he's always picking at things in the rocks.

I even see him going after small pellets sometimes but he's not very good at catching fast moving food.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

The tank look fabulous! I don't see any algae at all! How do you get your rics to be so brightly coloured? Mine are all dull no matter where I put them.

• Like 1

The tank look fabulous! I don't see any algae at all! How do you get your rics to be so brightly coloured? Mine are all dull no matter where I put them.

Thanks! You can't see it very easily in the FTS but believe me, it's there :(

I keep the in the rics in the corner of the tank where the light is a little lower, and that particular corner is the lowest flow area. They will handle higher flow but only if they gradually get used to it. Same for higher lighting.

And finally, I feed them. I squirt a little coral food on them, or put some spirulina brine shrimp near the mouths with the pumps off.

What kind of clam is that? That's pretty cool!

I have no idea, they're hitchhikers from the uncured live rock :lol:

• Like 3
jedimasterben

They're clams for sure? Could they be "giant clams"? That's pretty neat either way.

No, tridacnids look basically the same throughout their life. Look up Acro Al on Facebook, he breeds clams and documents the whole process and has some fantastic shots of 1mm-1cm clams.

• Like 2