Top Shelf Aquatics

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

I definitely got a lemon. If the house is quiet (at night) I can hear the return pump from 20 feet away, easy. I ordered a Sicce to replace it. Ill start the warranty process Monday.

What about the noise level of your MP10? Mine is a freakin airplane above 50%, not that it needs to run that high in such a tiny tank however. But I can still hear it at 30% which is the highest I have it set to. Its still not as loud as the return though.

One would think with tiny tanks that they wouldnt make noise.

• Like 1

Is your MP10 new? I can't hear mine at all at 30%...although the sound of the Desktop Ghost might be drowning it out.

Above 50% there definitely will be some noise but it shouldn't be loud.

• Like 1

Is your MP10 new? I can't hear mine at all at 30%...although the sound of the Desktop Ghost might be drowning it out.

Above 50% there definitely will be some noise but it shouldn't be loud.

Yeah its new. At 30% its not really an issue when compared to the return pump noise.

Just have to figure out the gooseneck mount I got from Dave for the Nanobox. The glass seems too thick to fit between the included plastic spacer and the aluminum mounting piece with screws. Ill shoot him an email.

Thanks again for all your help. Ill be starting a build thread soon.

• Like 1
flatlandreefer

Yeah its new. At 30% its not really an issue when compared to the return pump noise.

Just have to figure out the gooseneck mount I got from Dave for the Nanobox. The glass seems too thick to fit between the included plastic spacer and the aluminum mounting piece with screws. Ill shoot him an email.

Thanks again for all your help. Ill be starting a build thread soon.

At 80% I can't hear my mp10 at all, is the wet and dry sides lined up correctly?

• Like 1

At 80% I can't hear my mp10 at all, is the wet and dry sides lined up correctly?

I think so. If i put my hand in there and move the wet side around nothing really changes sound wise.

Im not using the spacer as i measured the glass and it appeared to be 1/4" thick. Maybe i should try with the spacer to see if that matters.

• Like 1
flatlandreefer

I think so. If i put my hand in there and move the wet side around nothing really changes sound wise.

Im not using the spacer as i measured the glass and it appeared to be 1/4" thick. Maybe i should try with the spacer to see if that matters.

Mine is also on reefcrest mode so it varies strength constantly, I'm not sure what mode you are running yours at but if it was constantly on one power setting that might effect the noise but not really sure.

• Like 1

I've used mine with and without the spacer - there's no difference in the noise. It's quiet either way.

Mine is also on reefcrest mode so it varies strength constantly, I'm not sure what mode you are running yours at but if it was constantly on one power setting that might effect the noise but not really sure.

For me, the noise simply goes up and down as the speed changes. I can really only hear it at all when it's above 50%.

Ive emailed back and forth with Innovative Marine about the pump, They wanted a video with sound so i took one... And they claimed they couldnt hear it. Hmm.. They must not have speakers attached. Ill get it worked out in the end. No word from Ecotech yet about the Vortech pump noise.

Anyway, I got 8lbs of LR coming in tomorrow from Tampa Bay Saltwater. I really need to start my own thread. ;)

• Like 2

I've decided my GHA problem is a good test case for the new Vibrant dosing product, which is claimed to be a new universal be-all end-all algae destroyer. There's been a lot of buzz about it, with a fair number of real users reporting success. It was only $20 for a small bottle, which is about a year's supply for this tank :).

I did the first dose today, following the directions - 1ml for ten gallons, twice a week. I'm going to take a set of weekly cell phone pics of the same spots to record progress (or lack thereof). These are spots that I can't easily clean with the toothbrush, so they will be a good test of whether the product is doing anything.

As always, there are so many other variables that it's impossible to say whether the results are solely due to using the product. It could be that things will improve on their own as I continue to keep phosphates low. But I think recording the results will be interesting on their own in any case.

Here's an FTS taken today. I just scrubbed the algae off the back wall last night, and you can see by the snail trails how much has already grown back in less than 24 hours.

30217387804_e4fd243262_b.jpg2016-11-07 IM10 FTS by TeenyReef, on Flickr

The next three pictures are from areas of the tank where I have a hard time manually removing the algae. I'm doing cell phone pictures just to make it easier to keep taking updated pictures frequently, and with minimal post processing so things look the same every time.

30732777732_c693153f4d_b.jpg20161107_193100.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

30214075453_c7faa3d451_b.jpg20161107_193050.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

30812693206_4a662ca759_b.jpg20161107_193036.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Ive emailed back and forth with Innovative Marine about the pump, They wanted a video with sound so i took one... And they claimed they couldnt hear it. Hmm.. They must not have speakers attached. Ill get it worked out in the end. No word from Ecotech yet about the Vortech pump noise.

Anyway, I got 8lbs of LR coming in tomorrow from Tampa Bay Saltwater. I really need to start my own thread. ;)

Well, I hope it works out! Let me know when you start your thread - live rock incoming is always exciting :)

• Like 7

I definitely got a lemon. If the house is quiet (at night) I can hear the return pump from 20 feet away, easy. I ordered a Sicce to replace it. Ill start the warranty process Monday.

What about the noise level of your MP10? Mine is a freakin airplane above 50%, not that it needs to run that high in such a tiny tank however. But I can still hear it at 30% which is the highest I have it set to. Its still not as loud as the return though.

One would think with tiny tanks that they wouldnt make noise.

i was excited when I got an mp10 but that thing made me and Mrs. Sancho nuts...As it would pulse it would hummmm then get quite. It's odd a constant noise I could live with but the mp10 going through its pulses seriously made me want to throw the tank out the window. it was a first gen but for what I paid for it I was expecting better. I have had many pumps and the Sicce are fantastic hopefully you get this figured out.
  • Like 1

i was excited when I got an mp10 but that thing made me and Mrs. Sancho nuts...As it would pulse it would hummmm then get quite. It's odd a constant noise I could live with but the mp10 going through its pulses seriously made me want to throw the tank out the window. it was a first gen but for what I paid for it I was expecting better. I have had many pumps and the Sicce are fantastic hopefully you get this figured out.

Sometimes I can hear the MP10 on my 40g tank, but only when it revs up to about 80%. It's the new QD variety.

Last night I took a close look at the back of the rocks to see how the GHA was doing, and I realized I have an uninvited guest back there. He's huge - the oral disk is almost an inch across when fully opened :o

I used to have a curlicue anemone in this tank, and at first I thought this might be another one. But it really looks more like a straight up aiptasia to me.

Bad cell phone pic:

30244029783_9201f0fab5_b.jpgAiptasia by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I gave him a nice meal of Aptasia-X. There's no sign of any babies but still...

Better DSLR pic:

30244030643_cd840e5122_b.jpgAiptasia by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 3

Somehow one of the snails got tangled up with the dendros, and apparently the dendro won. It's hard to see, but the snail is being sucked up by one of the smaller baby heads near the base of the colony :blink:

30247853954_80847f8237_b.jpg20161108_221342-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I also spotted a tiny hitchhiker clam growing on the side of the base rock near the back corner. You can hardly tell he's there at all because he's encrusted in coralline and looks like part of the rock, but when his mouth opens it's clearly a little clam. He's on the far left edge of the rock in this picture:

30578585370_1b683a1034_b.jpg20161108-untitled-003.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Here's a close cropped version:

30578586400_6a47809e27_z.jpg20161108-untitled-003-2.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

The blue/green acans have been struggling for some time - I had them in a bad spot with a little too much shade, and then the hammer coral started stinging them. I moved them a couple weeks ago but they haven't puffed up at all. Last night I turned off the pumps and drizzled a bunch of spirulina brine shrimp right on top of their mouths, and left the pumps off until they started eating.

30843599306_81786ef992_b.jpgAcans by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 6

Sometimes I can hear the MP10 on my 40g tank, but only when it revs up to about 80%. It's the new QD variety.

Last night I took a close look at the back of the rocks to see how the GHA was doing, and I realized I have an uninvited guest back there. He's huge - the oral disk is almost an inch across when fully opened :o

I used to have a curlicue anemone in this tank, and at first I thought this might be another one. But it really looks more like a straight up aiptasia to me.

Bad cell phone pic:

30244029783_9201f0fab5_b.jpgAiptasia by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I gave him a nice meal of Aptasia-X. There's no sign of any babies but still...

Better DSLR pic:

30244030643_cd840e5122_b.jpgAiptasia by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Banded Aiptasia. Kill it with Fire.

• Like 1

Yeah, I found 2 on the back of a rock myself and one on the substrate, and one below my rose coral and one on the end of the rock. Once I use the Aptasia Rx, I'm gonna come around & super glue the holes!

• Like 1

Banded Aiptasia. Kill it with Fire.

I didn't use fire but hopefully the AiptasiaRX did the trick :)

Yeah, I found 2 on the back of a rock myself and one on the substrate, and one below my rose coral and one on the end of the rock. Once I use the Aptasia Rx, I'm gonna come around & super glue the holes!

I had a tiny one appear on a frag about a year ago, but I was never able to kill it with AiptasiaRX, think because it was so tiny. Eventually I took out the frag and broke the rock up that it was one.

This one might be it's all-grown-up descendant, but I've never seen another one anywhere in the tank.

With everyone trying this,I may have to try this out. I will defintiely be following the progess with you and the few others here trying it out. How much are you dosing ? I emailed them and they said .5ml-1ml should dont the job 2 times a week for about 20 doses.

• Like 1

With everyone trying this,I may have to try this out. I will defintiely be following the progess with you and the few others here trying it out. How much are you dosing ? I emailed them and they said .5ml-1ml should dont the job 2 times a week for about 20 doses.

I'm dosing 1 ml for 10 gallons twice a week. It's been 48 hours after the first dose and I haven't seen any dramatic changes, but then again, I didn't really expect to see anything this soon. If ever :happy:

I've decided my GHA problem is a good test case for the new Vibrant dosing product, which is claimed to be a new universal be-all end-all algae destroyer. There's been a lot of buzz about it, with a fair number of real users reporting success. It was only $20 for a small bottle, which is about a year's supply for this tank :).

I did the first dose today, following the directions - 1ml for ten gallons, twice a week. I'm going to take a set of weekly cell phone pics of the same spots to record progress (or lack thereof). These are spots that I can't easily clean with the toothbrush, so they will be a good test of whether the product is doing anything.

As always, there are so many other variables that it's impossible to say whether the results are solely due to using the product. It could be that things will improve on their own as I continue to keep phosphates low. But I think recording the results will be interesting on their own in any case.

Here's an FTS taken today. I just scrubbed the algae off the back wall last night, and you can see by the snail trails how much has already grown back in less than 24 hours.

30217387804_e4fd243262_b.jpg2016-11-07 IM10 FTS by TeenyReef, on Flickr

The next three pictures are from areas of the tank where I have a hard time manually removing the algae. I'm doing cell phone pictures just to make it easier to keep taking updated pictures frequently, and with minimal post processing so things look the same every time.

30732777732_c693153f4d_b.jpg20161107_193100.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

30214075453_c7faa3d451_b.jpg20161107_193050.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

30812693206_4a662ca759_b.jpg20161107_193036.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Well, I hope it works out! Let me know when you start your thread - live rock incoming is always exciting :)

What happened to the small acro frag that was located in the top right above the orange cap??

• Like 2

What happened to the small acro frag that was located in the top right above the orange cap??

I removed it, along with one other small acro frag, and put them in the 40g tank. They were declining rapidly in this tank. The worse the gha got, the worse the acros got.

Unfortunately the one you asked about didn't make it, it stn'd after a few days in the 40g, but it was certainly going to die in this tank anyway, so it was worth a shot. But the other one is doing fine. It hasn't colored up yet but other than being brown it's not showing any signs of distress.

• Like 1

So do you find those caps growing everywhere just suck up alkalinity or calcium like a vampire??

Oh yes definitely. That was my first warning sign that something was wrong with the gha takeover. My Alk dosing went down from a peak of 50 seconds per dose all the way down to 9 seconds.

Tonight after testing I had to bump it up to 11 seconds. Hopefully that's an early sign that things are getting better.