inTank Media Baskets

Chris' CAD Lights 45g Shallow : Another Re-Scape (Video)

cnseekatz

Hallucinating... Also, check out the Cornbred Rainbow Infusion I picked up in a trade (second photo). It was one polyp a couple weeks ago!

20160523_132943_zps80nmlnar.jpg

20160523_132955_zps5oqobx18.jpg

• Like 3

Very nice! I don't know which ones are the cornbred ones but all of them look good in the second photo :D

What are those teal ones?

Very nice! I don't know which ones are the cornbred ones but all of them look good in the second photo :D

What are those teal ones?

The Rainbow Infusions are the big pink and green ones in the upper right.

• Like 1

The Rainbow Infusions are the big pink and green ones in the upper right.

Nice! What are those pink and green ones in the center and those teal ones in the bottom left?

Nice! What are those pink and green ones in the center and those teal ones in the bottom left?

The polyps in the middle are Hallucinations, and the ones on the bottom left used to be radioactive dragon eyes, but they've developed spots.

• Like 1

The polyps in the middle are Hallucinations, and the ones on the bottom left used to be radioactive dragon eyes, but they've developed spots.

Nice! I like them both a lot!

I've been reworking my fuge and sump to make it a little cleaner and more accessible. I had let the pom pom xenia go nuts, and while it is really pretty, it makes cleaning things really impossible. So I gave away 90% of it, and only kept a couple of rocks with a few little colonies (just in case!).

This allowed me the room to move some things around, and give everything a good cleaning. It also gave me the room to work on what I really wanted to work on... my mangroves. I bought some propagules (seed pods) a few months ago, and have been trying to get them to root out. So far, so good. I lost 4 plants, but the rest have really done well, creating some nice fat roots. Now I'm transitioning into a program to train those into aerial roots. Mangroves look so cool because of the big, intricate exposed roots that they have. Eventually, I'm going to try and use these in another shallow system, with the big arching roots exposed.

From what I've read, the best way to encourage this type of growth is to let them grow under water, and gradually raise them up and expose them to the air. This will encourage the submerged parts to grow longer, and the exposed parts to thicken and grow more bark, to make them stronger. You keep doing this until you get the structure that you like, then you can plant them in sand/soil. This sounds a lot easier than it's proving to be in practice, but I think I've got a pretty good system now. I've attached the plants to the PVC structure loosely, so that they can be gradually slid up and out of the water as the roots grow longer. I don't know how much of the roots can be exposed without killing the plant, so I'll have to keep an eye out for the first few days and see how they do.

20160530_104811_zpsboiwsxon.jpg

20160530_104531_zps0ftkm9hj.jpg

• Like 4

So I've noticed that my Potter's wrasse is acting aggressive toward my blue star again. I had an issue with the a while back, and it went away when I used the mirror trick.

I rescaped the tank a little and now the aggression is back. I moved the mirror around a little, and it's alleviated the problem some, but not totally (like last time). At first I attributed the aggression with the rescape, and them trying to re-establish territory. Then I noticed that the Potter's is looking a little different. The area between the pectoral fins and the anal fins has paled noticeably. It's a definitive stripe. Anyone have any ideas what this is, or what's causing it? My only thought is that she's beginning to transition to male. That would explain the change in coloration, and the new aggression.

Or.....?

20160609_211606_zps9zudx5yd.jpg

20160609_211617_zps1q7v51mo.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

It's been a long time since my last update. The tank has pretty much been on auto-pilot. Corals are happy and growing, and besides a few minor rescapes, not too much is new.

I did lose a couple of fish unfortunately. I lost two of my three leopard wrasses. They both jumped out of the tank on the same day. I came home and found my Potter's and Chaoti on the ground next to each other. It was a really sad day. So now all I have in there are the two clowns, my blue star leopard, and the azure damsel. I'm letting them have the run of the place for now while I try to figure out what else needs to live in my tank.

In happier news, my little snapping shrimp has molted a few times, and is having a blast building tunnels all over the tank. I feel like he must have relatives that were in the Viet Cong.

output_MfMzxi_zpsfdwbl5fl.gif

• Like 4

I'm sorry about the fish, it sounds like they had a mutual suicide pact or maybe they watched Finding Nemo too many times :(

But the tank looks great! That gif of the shrimp and your comments about him crack me up :)

I'm sorry about the fish, it sounds like they had a mutual suicide pact or maybe they watched Finding Nemo too many times :(

But the tank looks great! That gif of the shrimp and your comments about him crack me up :)

Thanks. It was really strange. I think the Potter's was transitioning to a male, so she/he was irritable for a couple weeks. She/he was chasing my Blue Star around pretty aggressively for days. The Chaoti was totally cool, very active and never seemed to spook at anything. Such a bummer. I've never seen another Chaoti...

• Like 1

20160731_204959_zpsnrmuthfr.jpg

:wub:

I really really really NEED one of these :). Gonna make it my goal to pick one up the weekend of MACNA. Gonna see about stopping in on Sunday, if they are open, on the way home :).

Scheming :ninja:

20160801_170047_zpsqq7ah12x.jpg

:wub:

I really really really NEED one of these :). Gonna make it my goal to pick one up the weekend of MACNA. Gonna see about stopping in on Sunday, if they are open, on the way home :).

Ali has been closed on the weekends lately because of some health issues. If you let me know before you come down, I'll grab one for you during the week, and meet up with you when you're in town. Just give me a call!

• Like 4

So I decided to move my mangroves out from my sump/refugium to their own dedicated tank. They're in my old PiCo 12.5 gallon shallow tank. They're being lit with an AI Sol Blue. There's a little Koralia Nano moving water around, and a small heater I had lying around. I used live sand from CaribSea.

I originally set it up in the spare bedroom, but the fiancee gave me a stern talking to, so now it's in the garage! :)

I used fiberglass rods glued into holes I drilled into some dry rock to serve as anchors for the plants. This will allow me to keep them stable, and to slide them up higher as their roots grow. This will hopefully encourage them to turn into big, heavy prop roots.

20160802_145305_zpshtqcj6ky.jpg

20160802_153711_zpsvsoteljj.jpg

20160802_153658_zpsvwstmfpy.jpg

20160804_064334_zpsl92uao50.jpg

• Like 6

Very cool!

I could see this turning into something very nice!

Thanks guy. Probably going to be pretty boring for a while, but hopefully they'll start to take off soon.

What fish store do you go to?

There are a few nearby, depending on what I'm looking for. I like Amazing Aquariums in Orange for coral, and Tong's in Fountain Valley for fish, inverts, and dry goods.

Thanks man. Probably going to be pretty boring for a while, but

In an attempt to battle what is becoming an alarming infestation of aiptasia... meet Bert... the "Aiptasia Eating Filefish." So far, I haven't seen him eat anything, he just derps around the tank. He doesn't really swim, he just kinda floats around. Very cute and strange little fish.

20160806_102541_zps0gymw5tm.jpg

20160806_102531_zpsjxphgfux.jpg

• Like 5

Love the shrimp, he's awesome! Can't wait to see the mangrove tank. Watch out for Bert I had one years ago that took a liking to my acans :furious:

Yeah, I've heard they can be naughty. Honestly, if he develops a taste for aiptasia, then a little collateral damage is acceptable!