Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Mantis Tank Thread

travisurfer

HELP, i have no idea whats going on. I've received two peacocks from stomatopod.com both have been sooooo beautiful, and arrived in okish condition. well one, not so much thanks to fedex and the holidays. I acclimated for over an hour both time, both have moved around once in the tank. And then an hour or so later they just slow down and stop moving and never start again. everything looks ok on tests, no nitrates, trites ammonia. ph is right at about 8.0 temp is 80-81. I have a blue velvet damsel and a flame angel living in that tank and two rock anemones and they all see perfectly fine. I just cant even begin to think what could be happening?!

Edited by Abide

no ive only had one at a time i currently have zero

edit: well in that tank anyway. I do have about a 3" ternatensis in my 20H that i have for a fuge on my 60

IMG_0611.jpg

Edited by Abide
I have a 5.5g tank and equipment for one but the upcoming schoolwork won't give me any time.

Same, school, job, football, i can't find anytime to set up a tank and be able to give it the care it needs.

I guess a mantis wouldn't be too much by itself, just throw in a few hermits and snails a week and the little guy would be just fine. But I know once i get a tank im going to get corals, then upgrade lighting and it just wont end.

no ive only had one at a time i currently have zero

edit: well in that tank anyway. I do have about a 3" ternatensis in my 20H that i have for a fuge on my 60

IMG_0611.jpg

very nice little mantis

Same, school, job, football, i can't find anytime to set up a tank and be able to give it the care it needs.

I guess a mantis wouldn't be too much by itself, just throw in a few hermits and snails a week and the little guy would be just fine. But I know once i get a tank im going to get corals, then upgrade lighting and it just wont end.

Yeah, next symmester I have 3 ap-courses and track everyday after school. My one reef will be enough until I get through college. :naughtydance:

Okay so i made it to page 16 today :P you have got me very intrested in a mantis i was in my LFS getting rock and chaeto and i went strait over and asked if they had any mantis's and sure enough they had one i kid you not identical to cosmo but smaller i think :P hes 50 $ so i may pick one up down the road. My bank account thanks you :lol: What are some of the more common size of mantis? and what size of tank is recomened? would a 10 gallon be suffcient depending on species of course?

Thanks

hi guys, i just saw this awesome looking mantis in my lfs and was wondering what tank size will this 3.5"~4" guy will need.

01-03-08_1826.jpg

01-03-08_1825.jpg

01-03-08_1804.jpg

Yeah they got it in a plastic betta tank inside a large acrylic tank with an eel and a miniatus omgomgomg

Oh and they are asking $43 for it. How's that?

Okay so i made it to page 16 today :P you have got me very intrested in a mantis i was in my LFS getting rock and chaeto and i went strait over and asked if they had any mantis's and sure enough they had one i kid you not identical to cosmo but smaller i think :P hes 50 $ so i may pick one up down the road. My bank account thanks you :lol: What are some of the more common size of mantis? and what size of tank is recomened? would a 10 gallon be suffcient depending on species of course?

Thanks

the average mantis that you will find will be around 3-4" fully grown with the exception being o. scyllarus. there are some species that do grow much bigger but they aren't as common in the stores.

10g is generally alright but a 15g would give you a lot more options as well as more room. its a nice tank size with plenty of options to cheaply setup the equipment and so forth.

hi guys, i just saw this awesome looking mantis in my lfs and was wondering what tank size will this 3.5"~4" guy will need.

01-03-08_1826.jpg

01-03-08_1825.jpg

01-03-08_1804.jpg

Yeah they got it in a plastic betta tank inside a large acrylic tank with an eel and a miniatus omgomgomg

Oh and they are asking $43 for it. How's that?

that is deffinitly a peacock mantis(O. scyllarus). they grow to 5-6" so you will need a bigger tank. 30g is the widely accepted price for them. btw, $43 isn't that bad of a price. cozmo was $50 and he was cool so i thought it would be worth it.

Ok thanks Travis ;) I have a 20L Laying around, a 20lbs bag of aragonite live sand and a AC hob. No light but that could be fixed easily and need some Live Rock. Do you think that a 30"L tank will be enough or still might need the 30G?

Ok thanks Travis ;) I have a 20L Laying around, a 20lbs bag of aragonite live sand and a AC hob. No light but that could be fixed easily and need some Live Rock. Do you think that a 30"L tank will be enough or still might need the 30G?

a 20L would probably be ok for awhile but I would definitely try to get a 29g soon. the tank itself isn't that much and you can just go with a single strip light to keep costs down(not to mention checking craigslist). that way you can have it planned out for the future size of the mantis from the start. in case you were wondering, here's a basic fact sheet:

Linky

Thanks again travis. I'm gonna check for one of those T5 trip light from coralife that I think they came in 30"-36" with daylight and actinic. I can get it for cheap here with the distributor. I don't think I'll need lots of watts and fancy lights just to watch my mantis

finally i found a g smithii, with awsome colors, im so pumped to set up this mantis tank, hes about 2" i'll post pictures tonight

awesome. those aren't the easiest to find.

What a fun addition to anaquarium. The only time I have seen one of these was scuba diving in the Maldives - he was huge - about 8 -10 inches in legth and 2-3 inches wide !!!

What a fun addition to anaquarium. The only time I have seen one of these was scuba diving in the Maldives - he was huge - about 8 -10 inches in legth and 2-3 inches wide !!!

WOW! that is huge. must have been an awesome place to dive B)

Yeah, I didn't even know what it was until I got back on the boat. Had never seen on before . Igot video of it too. very cool. And yes, the diving there is out of this world.

BUMP! This thread is going on strong. I just found a super huge mantis in my tank! Caught it in the corner of my eyes and in the flash, it was gone. I saw the head only and boy that head was huge. I estimated it to be around 4 inches! Holy cow! I think my new nem tank is going to become a mantis tank! lol

I just got my tank running waiting for cycle to do its jobs before getting the mantis. The mantis still available at my LFS so I think i'm going today to pay it before anyone take it. Here's my tank so far. I bough the 30" Coralife T5 Strip light with daylight and actinic for $37 and bough rock at $1/#. Alreadu had the tank (actually is very scratched) and had the filter.

DSCF0134.jpg

BUMP! This thread is going on strong. I just found a super huge mantis in my tank! Caught it in the corner of my eyes and in the flash, it was gone. I saw the head only and boy that head was huge. I estimated it to be around 4 inches! Holy cow! I think my new nem tank is going to become a mantis tank! lol

awesome B)

I just got my tank running waiting for cycle to do its jobs before getting the mantis. The mantis still available at my LFS so I think i'm going today to pay it before anyone take it. Here's my tank so far. I bough the 30" Coralife T5 Strip light with daylight and actinic for $37 and bough rock at $1/#. Alreadu had the tank (actually is very scratched) and had the filter.

DSCF0134.jpg

looks nice. the only thing I can add is that you may want to get a powerhead in there so scraps won't settle.

Yup I was thinking that and I have two micro-jets 80 GPH each somewhere around so I'm gonna use them. I also added a nice ball of chaeto full of copepods nd they are running all the tank now.