ReefCleaners.org

The Mantis Tank Thread

travisurfer

well in one week i will have had Mr. Peepers for 6 months and here he is after his monthly loaded crayfish bashing

DSC_4021.jpg

DSC_4033.jpg

nice B)

18g acrylic you think would be too small for a >2 inch peacock? Getting an 18g with sump :)

it would probably be ok for awhile if its under 3". you should definitely have some plans of upgrading though.

N wenn or Smithii it is then. its gonna be dedicated.

Good call B)

Well mantis cult I need your help, It's finally time for me to get a mantis for my 5.5 and it all boils down to this...

N. Wennrae or G. Virdis?

N. wennerae is much more easily obtained :)

Yeah but they have at least 4 on Stomotopod.com so getting it wouldn't be the problem, just seeing what you guys think would be better.

viridis would be something somewhat different. they are both supposedly active so i guess it depends if you like the speckled look or not.

just wish stomatopod.com wasn't so expensive for shipping - I keep hoping my LFS will get another non-peacock in

lol, any live order online is too much. have you tried special ordering again?

The only thing LFS around here have are Zebra Mantises (L. Mac's) in like 4 gallon aquariums, never even seen a peacock.

thats said. especially considering how big those get.

Yeah, they're only like 3-4 inches right now, so you can't completly burry them but I don't think they realize how big they get. They want like $90 for one.

thats still horrible. those things need lots of water, deep sand/mud, and prestine water. none of which will they get in a 4g tank. :(

I say N. Wennerae, but i have never seen, or owned the other species so its just cause i like the outgoingness of mine

true, according to roy they are both very hardy and active. you can never be sure though because each mantis has their own behavioral quirks.

Well I decided to go with the Virdis because they are a little smaller then the Wennrae. Soon I can be in the club! Although it appears the club is a little... lacking these days.

my tanks a bit lacking due to my BioCube missing 1/2 it's lighting - plus I'm still trying to get myself another mantis but I need to figure out why my 10G sucks beans so badly :( - thinking of upgrading to a 24x18 footprint tank with a false wall etc like the all in ones have.

hey fugu, I didn't even know you were still alive. nice mantis btw :)

No one has shot me yet!

He/shes been living in his/her 15g bucket for the past week and a half, seems happy eating supplemented shore crabs (coldwater).The bucket is only temporary untill I drill my 25g and get it set up.