Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Mantis Tank Thread

travisurfer

Is there a name for these off the coast of Florida, concensus seems to be they'll only get 2.5-3". They just came in my awesome shipment of KP Aquatics uncured live rock. My lfs said they're nocturnal. I was surprised to find 3 in my shipment after they told me they tend to see one out of every 400-500 lbs of rock.

Can't really see here but he's light to medium green, .5 inches.

069_zps7f3d7ee7.jpg

Then this one is 3/4 inch and is maroon with flecks.

067_zpsb0a10b8f.jpg

Tamberav sent me some links for Florida based mantis so I'm good now w/ info for at least some classification. As I have more on their home I'm creating I'll add some info the thread.

I'm going to try use the weather stripping and slide the divider in. If only one lives i can take out the divider and he'll have bigger home w/ 2 tunnel systems. If they live to get bigger I can also line the inside of the tank w/ 1/4" acrylic if that helps as they're thin-even your larger size tanks dont' use thicker glass. Since they were free it's worth trying to keep them alive/save them.

Well, the green one seems to be a Neogonodactylus wennerae.

This is an excerpt about it from someone on the internet.

They are the most common species that hitchhikes in on live rock. They change color depending on environment, and can range from bright green to brown to maroon. They only grow to about 3", and are relatively peaceful for a mantis. They can't hit hard enough to break thick-shelled snails or hermits. They are also more active than the chiragra species, and are often out exploring the tank. She loves to eat krill from a bamboo skewer.

Now my latest pics. Blown up because it's only .5 inches.

009_zps83dab2c3.jpg

010_zps3f9360fd.jpg

I'm new to the housing of mantis. I have these shells. If I boil them to make sure they're all clean can I use them in my tank? I heard mantis like to rearrange or clean house. They're too small yet to add a PVC drain elbow or anything. There are small pieced of live rock in there currently and some other shells.

072_zps01dab7b3.jpg

073_zps31fb0e45.jpg

074_zps7be7f8b0.jpg

Here's the home, just started cycling and I'm ordering AquaClear 20 or 30 for each side, not sure which one I should use. I only have an inch of sand at the moment, I'll be increasing that by another inch, hopefully this week. I'll be growing gsp on the wall that separates them. I'd love to get some purple star polyp too, maybe mix them up. Put some easy maintenance mushrooms and some macro algae.

053_zps6172d372.jpg

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...
Christopher Marks

This thread deserves a bump to the top after all these years! @travisurfer's mantis tank journal inspired countless other hobbyists to keep mantis shrimp in dedicated systems, and we've all come to learn so much more about them! Cheers to you Travis!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TheUnfocusedOne said:

I do miss having a mantis...

same 😞  My LFS was selling a Peacock, but I couldn't persuade my husband to let me set up a 40 for it and I doubt I'll be able to find a wennerae any time soon.  Such cool critters.