• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...
i'm sure this has been covered (and i think i probably even asked it) but are there any small mantis that would work in a 3g pico?

Great thread! I never seen a mantis in person until this past Wednesday night. Conveniently I just inherited a nearly new Biocube 14, so once the tank is all settled in one of these are high on the list for possible inhabitants if I can get a small enough one.

• 2 weeks later...
i'm sure this has been covered (and i think i probably even asked it) but are there any small mantis that would work in a 3g pico?

I kinda have the same ? as Dhaut.

I have read that it's ok to keep a N. wennerae or a Neogonodactylus oerstedii in a pico sized tank. I am going to be setting up a EcoPico "5.1 gallon"

do you think these species would be happy in this size tank? i don't want to keep one if it's just to small a space and frowned upon.

Any other species you guys would recommend for a pico.

I am still in the planning sage but just wanted some NR mantis experts opinions before getting to deep :D

Thanks

EZ

edit... PS I just haven't had time to read all 99 pages of this thread... but i am sure i will

Edited by Ezsharkman
TheUnfocusedOne

You can keep a G. viridis or N. wennaera in one, but I wouldn't. I've kept viridis in one and I thought it was just too small. I'd opt for a 10g, or a long 5g. It's all about footprint in my opinion, as all the shrimp I've had like to move around the tank and hunt. Also, wide open spaces are much much cooler than having lot of rock, sice you'll get to see you mantis darting around the tank versus hiding.

If you can manage to find one of the rare super small ones, you can do that. I've got personal experience keeping a Haptosquilla glyptocercus in a 2.5g. Certainly not the most interactive mantis I've had, but still cool.

That's just my opinion, I have a friend who thinks otherwise and had great success putting a wennarae in a small fuge.

Here's my old H. glyptocerus btw, she was adorable.

MS1-1.jpg

MS2.jpg

Edited by TheUnfocusedOne
  • Like 1
You can keep a G. viridis or N. wennaera in one, but I wouldn't.

If you can manage to find one of the rare super small ones, you can do that. I've got personal experience keeping a Haptosquilla glyptocercus in a 2.5g. Certainly not the most interactive mantis I've had, but still cool.

That's just my opinion, I have a friend who thinks otherwise and had great success putting a wennarae in a small fuge.

Here's my old H. glyptocerus btw, she was adorable.

MS1-1.jpg

MS2.jpg

Thanks TheUnfocusedOne

i guess its not really what i wanted to hear... but that's why i asked

where is a good place to find a Haptosquilla glyptocercus or G. viridis at....or is it just one of those check your LFS and be able to id it from memory type of things... aka luck

I really appreciate your input

PS... your avatar always makes me a little nervous.... it's just so full of suspense and mixed with WTF :lol:

TheUnfocusedOne
where is a good place to find a Haptosquilla glyptocercus or G. viridis at....or is it just one of those check your LFS and be able to id it from memory type of things... aka luck

You'll be hard pressed to find a H. glyptocercus. I rescued mine at LFS. It was in a container in a tank, and was a day away from being flushed. They sold it to me for a buck to boot.

Bluezoo is the only reliable place around that sells mantis shrimps anymore. Be really carefull when ordering online, the pictures and descriptions don't always match what you'll get. Bluezoo had done a good job from everything I've seen recently, though I haven't purchased from them myself.

You can always get a wennarae from tampa bay saltwater. I've done it twice, it's a great deal. Wennarae are really fun and interactive mantis shrimps too.

Like I said, you can safely keep one in a 5g but I personally wouldn't. It's all preference really. I'm not saying not to do it.

PS... your avatar always makes me a little nervous.... it's just so full of suspense and mixed with WTF :lol:

Probably one of the funniest scenes in television history IMO.