SaltCritters.com

The Mantis Tank Thread

travisurfer

• 4 months later...

Well,

I just finished all 96 freaking pages. I want a mantis soooooooo bad for my 9 gallon; it's all stacked up with LR and softies, plus a full menu of CUC. I'm really thinking about ordering an O. havanensis from Ken at Sea Life, Inc., but then I hope some local central/west MI reefer has a smaller smasher species they'd want to just get rid of.....

ON To 100 pages...in HONOR of Cozmo and Monte!

Edited by Zombo
travisurfer

nice mantis grandpa :)

lol, zombo that is quite an acheivement. they truly are amazing. an N. wennerae sounds like it would be a perfect fit for that tank. they change colors with the light intensity so you could set it to have a lime green one or a redish color. tampabaysaltwater has them for $50 shipped to your door.

Okay, I'm on the hunt for an N. wennerae or G. smithii -- I'd rather find one local (in MI) if possible, but if anyone has one for sale at a reasonable price, let me know!

GrandpaFeathers

Thanks!

Finnally is able to kill his own hermits. I used to have to deshell them for him, he was too small to kill even the littlest of them. After his last molt, ten hermits are gone in two weeks :o

nice mantis grandpa :)

lol, zombo that is quite an acheivement. they truly are amazing. an N. wennerae sounds like it would be a perfect fit for that tank. they change colors with the light intensity so you could set it to have a lime green one or a redish color. tampabaysaltwater has them for $50 shipped to your door.

GrandpaFeathers

yeah, I would feed him shrimp, brine shrimp, and the occasional guppy.

wow, that is one hungry little guy. have you tried supplemental feeding with shrimp or scallops?
FishFreak77

This answer may be in here,but i did not feel like reading it all now. Wouldn't the cost of food get really expensive if you had to continuously feed them snails and crabs? Has anyone ever kept one in a small tank like a 3 gallon?

GrandpaFeathers
This answer may be in here,but i did not feel like reading it all now. Wouldn't the cost of food get really expensive if you had to continuously feed them snails and crabs? Has anyone ever kept one in a small tank like a 3 gallon?

It's not too bad.

I feed mine a live animal probably twice a week. I breed my own guppies, and can't kill them fast enough. hermits are $9.99 for 10 over here, so that lasts about 5 weeks. Mine won't eat snails. I also feed brine shrimp, and normal shrimp.

travisurfer

you can just get white shrimp from the grocery store. a single shrimp can be chopped up small enough to last a few weeks. in general, i would stay away from a mantis in a 3gal. there aren't many you could choose from and you wouldn't be able to see it roam around as much.

GrandpaFeathers

My wennerae really doesnt roam at all in his 12 gallon.

He moves a lot throughout his rocks, but he doesnt really come into the open unless im feeding him.

The live feeding is a good option, but it doesn't have to be the bulk of their diet. I feed my wennerae thawed krill and she readily accepts them. I keep a stock of live snails in her tank as well and occasionally throw in a naughty hermit or peppermint shrimp from one of the other tanks. I've found that she's much less likely to strike on the CUC when she's regularly fed thawed food. And as Travis mentioned, you can also feed them table shrimp.

GrandpaFeathers
Is there anything else in the tank?

5 turbos (which still cant keep the algea down) I think theres one hermit still alive, but its shell is all busted up, a zoa colony, and some cloves. thats it. I dont think he's shy, cause he's out and about throughout the rockwork, but he doesn't like going into the open sand, which there is plenty of.

I wanna throw a clown in there, but i dont wann lose $20.

still-- he lived with a damsel for a very long time, they even shared a cave.

But lately he's been veeeery tempermental. he came at my hand the other day, and it scared me. hes never done that before.

Edited by GrandpaFeathers
Just order from TampabaySaltwater. It's $50 shipped to your door.

He won't take paypal :P

(Spouse will butcher me if she sees "$50 Vicious Reef Inhabitant" on the CC bill!)

(Spouse will butcher me if she sees "$50 Vicious Reef Inhabitant" on the CC bill!)

"But baby, it was cheaper than a security system from ADT!"

Problem solved, you're welcome. :D