Pod Your Reef

The Mantis Tank Thread

travisurfer

ooo sorry i was responding to the person that wanted to put it in their sump, a 30 hex is perfect for it, if the tank is lit with MH you are going to need to make a burrow for it to get out of the light, they are a deeper water species living from about 40-60' and 150W is pretty bright for them, so i would make a PVC u-shaped burrow so that it can get away from the light

also if you go in there let me know how they look, i know the pics are good but i would like to know how big they are in real life, i get mine tomorrow obviously lol and i will try and go for size comparison

Edited by mattyice

they are very pretty but IME they are also challenging the Odondactylus species of mantis shrimp are very sensitive to a bunch of different things...

Peacocks...

-High light and low shelter can attribute to shell disease

-Bad water conditions can contribute to shell disease

-I feel they need a diet much more rich in vitamins then what other mantis shrimp do because of their size

O. Havanensis...

-Low oxygen kills them fast

-minor levels of nitrates and any little tiny bit of nitrite and ammonia can kill them instantly

-they are jumpers and can clear about 4-5" of water (thats alot for a 3" full grown specimen)

O. Japonicus

-Extremely Rare and rarely captured on camera

-Needs an extremely low amount of light because they are found at depths over 80'

-needs ALOT of food and very clean water (one person i saw had one on RC it went through 25 snails and 5 fish in a week)

wow, that is an amazing mantis matty. you know i'll be back someday but i'm doin' the reef thing right now. maybe i can wow some of my buddies in college. i'm really missing the mantis. "once you go stomatopod, you don't go back" ;)

haha its true, im actually drilling my 30C right now for a sump, i had a little acrylic 11G tank that i couldnt find a use for and then i saw it, measured it up, and amazingly i now have a 30 cube with a sump

he looks great but the colors aren't quite as crazy as the one you posted earlier. but i can't really say much seeing as i'm mantisless right now ;)

Edited by travisurfer
well everything is going good for the new tank, i drilled it and the sump is perfect, but here is my new buddy

IMG_2127.jpg

IMG_2125.jpg

where you get the 2inch Peacock from? I've been looking everywhere for a small one that is not already 6inches

fragglereef.com

travis i think the thing is that it was under MH in the pic, the colors are great but those pics are under ######ty work fluorescent lights

fragglereef.com

travis i think the thing is that it was under MH in the pic, the colors are great but those pics are under ######ty work fluorescent lights

ah, that makes sense. hopefully it'll color back up once its in the tank. regardless, that is one beautiful little mantis

great lookin mantis Matty - I'm heading to my LFS today at lunch (they just got 800# of LR in) hoping to see if they got any hitchhiker mantis' for my 10G

• 2 weeks later...

well today was thanksgiving for my mantis, came home to some kinda large snail and 2 hermit crabs eating one of the best looking clams i've ever seen, so all parties involved went into the mantis tank for destruction, my poor clam and wallet. the turq. crocea on the right will probably be dead by morning

DSC_3948.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Iv'e gotten rid of all my tanks. To many things going on right now. I do hope to set up another mantis tank soon though. I would really like to get another G smithii.

Thats a shame. To be fair though, my tank doesn't really deserve to be called a reef right now anyway.

Glad to see some interest CR22. I responded to your pm. Feel free to pm me back or ask any questions on thise thread since most of the posters here have or have kept a mantis.

Acropora: If that comment was directed towards me, my mantis died of a bad molt and I won't replace him until I can setup a dual-display reef and "mantis biotope" refugium. I sure do miss the little guy though. :(