ReefCleaners.org

The Mantis Tank Thread

travisurfer

CrazyAggie05

I got shwacked by my mantis today! I was rearranging some stuff in the tank and it wasn't where I thought it was! It wasn't bad at all, only a little tap. But, it scared the crap outta me! I put a medium sized turbo snail in there, and thinking it would leave it al one, but it went to work on it ferociously! It could barely carry the snail around, but it sure tried. I gave it a pice of krill and it has been working on that ever since. The strikes on the turbo were by far the hardest I have witnessed so far. It managed to chip a pice of it shell of but the snail is ok. I dunno what to do about algae if I can't even keep a turbo! Oddly enough, the bumble bee snails, medium sized hermits, and large nassarius are left alone....

CrazyAggie05

Holy crap I dunno if it is going to be fine. This thing is persistant! If I take the snail away, it gets ###ed, runs over, picks it up, and goes to town again! I was fending it off with a bamboo stick and it was attacking the bamboo stick to get to the snail!

CrazyAggie05

Mantis: 1......Turbo Snails: 0

The turbo is complete eaten! And the mantis at krill yesterday as well! Maybe it is fixing to molt.... I can't beleive it actually ate this thing! What a powerful little bugger! I still have my two medium hermits that it doens't touch lol. Maybe this one only has a tease for snail.

travisurfer

yeah, mine never really like hermits. i'm guessing you have a molt coming on soon. that would explain the uber aggressive nature of such a newly acclimated mantis.

CrazyAggie05

Haha today he decided to take a small stalk of my carnation leather and use that as rubble. I gotta pic, it is preatty funny. Maybe it is a she, and she has a good taste for decorating.

looks like it is under actinics, try to get a shot of it with daylight.

btw i have a mantis as well. I have a thread on mine in my sig. here is a quick pick of her.

IMG_1021modify.jpg

Edited by this1fish

Hey guys, thought i would update you on my mantis, he is surrently very shy and i never see him out. Im thinking about selling him to a local. I am however planning on getting a Peacock mantis. I want to get him/her small also. S/he would be in the ten gallon for about six months until i get a 20 gallon arcylic(sp). Reason for a peacock is i want something that will come out and see and interact with me, And the feedings seem pretty badass with a peacock :)

that picture is under a 50/50 but i'm thinking of adding it to my fuge which is 75% daylight 25 actinic but im worried what my pod/mysis population would do. A friend of mine has a lime mantis in his tank and it has not bothered his emerald, hermits or pods but its a spearer not a smasher.

your friend has a p. ciliata, you seem to have a N. wenn from the looks of it. Eating pods for a mantis would be like you walking around your house eating cheerios off the floor, not thier first food choice, they will eat snails and maybe hermits, minehave never really taken to hermits though

that picture is under a 50/50 but i'm thinking of adding it to my fuge which is 75% daylight 25 actinic but im worried what my pod/mysis population would do. A friend of mine has a lime mantis in his tank and it has not bothered his emerald, hermits or pods but its a spearer not a smasher.

really? it's really purple with green legs? then i have no clue what it is.

yeah thats exactly how it looks under 50/50 right now its in a 3g with no substrate but some large shells for cover until i decide if i want it in my fuge (15h) i fed it some frozen mysis today and it readily accepted which makes me worry about my large mysis population in my fuge so i may just go with a seperate tank plumbed into my main tank/fuge for the mantis

travisurfer
DSC_3278.jpg

any idea what this one is?

closest pic looks like a Neogonodactylus wennerae

wow, that is just an awesome mantis

looks like it is under actinics, try to get a shot of it with daylight.

btw i have a mantis as well. I have a thread on mine in my sig. here is a quick pick of her.

IMG_1021modify.jpg

cool, my guess is ternatensis or graphurus/glabrous. its hard to tell from the pic but most likely ternatensis

Hey guys, thought i would update you on my mantis, he is surrently very shy and i never see him out. Im thinking about selling him to a local. I am however planning on getting a Peacock mantis. I want to get him/her small also. S/he would be in the ten gallon for about six months until i get a 20 gallon arcylic(sp). Reason for a peacock is i want something that will come out and see and interact with me, And the feedings seem pretty badass with a peacock :)

i would get at least a 25-30g for a peacock

that could work. the seperate tank idea would probably make it more viewable though.

what options of smasher mantis shrimp do i have for a 4.5 gallon tank?

maybe a wennerae but i would look for an even smaller species. i can't remember their names off the top of my head though. maybe falcatus but just check royslist

wow, that is just an awesome mantis

cool, my guess is ternatensis or graphurus/glabrous. its hard to tell from the pic but most likely ternatensis

i would get at least a 25-30g for a peacock

that could work. the seperate tank idea would probably make it more viewable though.

maybe a wennerae but i would look for an even smaller species. i can't remember their names off the top of my head though. maybe falcatus but just check royslist

she's a G. ternatensis 100%