Coral Vue Hydros

The Mantis Tank Thread

travisurfer

travisurfer

for the fuge i strongly recommend just using chaeto. the sand and rock can become a mess and wasn't really beneficial for me. my two cents.

a peacock is one of the few that you wouldn't be able to get.

lol i love that you manged to pick one of the few mantids who cant reside in a 10gal. but seriously, +1 on the chaeto and +1 on small smashers like N. wennerae and G. smithii (the top two).

• 4 weeks later...

those and some big L. Mac's i would laugh if one just did a pull up and just totally clinched onto one of their fingers lol

BTW argent the tank is looking great

and now the moment you all have been waiting for...over time monte's tank has completely beat the algae breakout it had and is looking awesome, she seems very happy and VERY ###ed off at anything in the tank

travisurfer

now thats a cool photo. cozmo made it throught another molt although his tank does and will look like total crap for just a bit longer. once school's over i'll make a thread about it and you'll see why :D

• 2 weeks later...

im getting back into the mantis group, i think im going to build a 10" cube for a mantis, do you think a g smithi would be happy in that size of tank?

travisurfer

RIP Cozmo

It is my duty to abolish all leadership of the Mantis Cult because it is the people who are meant to rule and it is their "cult" to alter or abolish to their will. But there shall be no leader for the members and their mantids are all equal. Farewell Mantis Tank Thread.

I WILL NOT LET THIS THREAD END!!!!!!

and travis you will get another mantis if i have to go to salty critter, get one of the ones they have there and ship it to you

I agree with matty. the page count of this thread hasnt made it to the triple digits yet. have you considered getting a new mantis?

Trogdor sends his regards...

trog_entry_small.jpg

travisurfer

I haven't decided yet. I may keep my 5.5g up and running and see if I can go out and find a local N. wennerae. Technically the 5.5g tank has been taken down but I am going to(most likely) make it a mantis paradise. I may also try ordering one from sealifeinc. Otherwise, I will probably go without a mantis for awhile. The 20H will turn into a fish only tank along with the few corals I already have. I'm just going to clean it up real nice and get things going again.

EDIT: Another option is to put a divider in my 20H and make half mantis and half fish :P

Sorry to hear about cosmo travis... I havn't been around the forums that much lately, so im not sure what happened to him. The coolest mantis ive seen though. Amazing color too. I think you should get another mantis, amazing animals wich, if you keep one once, you just cant stay away from them.

well guys its not looking good for monte either, just when the tank turns out to be amazingly healthy, i found a sore on her shell that is the beginning of shell disease...

Monte is the coolest fish in the world, wish me luck on keeping her healthy and beating this with small weekly water changes and selcon soaked food and water

on a better note check out this bad boy i might be picking up next week for my new acrylic SPS/Mantis Paradise...

mantis0615.jpg

holy crap matty what species is that? Ive never seen a mantis of that vivd a colour before.

good luck on the rehab for monte. i look at it this way. you managed to basically bring a C. dubia back from the dead (what ever happened to it in the end anyways?), so monte shouldnt pose much more of a problem right?

althefishguy

Well heres my first Mantis tank could'nt decide what to do with the 15g hex. Then saw this thread and knew what I was going to do instantly.

So here it is . Its a 15g hex with about 6 Harlequin serpent stars and 1 O. Havanesis, and a nice pile of LR the mantis seems to love the natural cave system

it was out and about within minutes of being in there. I have a 2nd O. Havanesis

thats being held in a 2.5 until I can finish its 10g aga can't wait to finish that unit. I think I'm hooked. Heres some pics (not the best) LMK what You think ! I'll post the new tank as soon as its done, I'm open to ideas from You mantis Vets !!

Thanks AL

post-13936-1182347245_thumb.jpgpost-13936-1182347130_thumb.jpgpost-13936-1182347203_thumb.jpgpost-13936-1182347356_thumb.jpgpost-13936-1182347390_thumb.jpgpost-16567-1132189199_thumb.jpgpost-13936-1182347498_thumb.jpg

post-13936-1182347463_thumb.jpg

looks awesome i might setup a 5.5 for one in my office!

its like a peacocks little brother and i hear that they are quite interactive

althefishguy

Thankyou its very interactive, Dr. Roy says my aquascaping is wrong,

but the mantis seems to love it and has built a burrow and already got a hermit. I don't want to stress it out so I'm going to see what happens for

awhile. I'm going to setup the second one per Dr. Roys description I'm

totaly hooked now. So I think this is only the start !!

Thanks AL

hey justin i talked to the supplier on that red mantis and they want $80 for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

looks like a an O. Havie will do nice in a 5.5G thats sitting right on my desk, im going to order through Sea Life Inc. and try and get the smallest one they can find