Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fluval V "Tech tank"

chaostactics

chaostactics

A Fluval Spec / Evo V build! From disorganized Aptasia garden to tech stuffed TOTM  🤞

17-Sept-2020  First Photos

IMG_20200822_191526.jpg

11-Nov-2020 Update PXL_20201112_050955545.jpg

1-Aug-2021 Update

Screenshot_20210813-191150_Chrome.jpg.605aeb8992ca86c51da5a4eb4b602e01.jpg

Tech list:

- Fluval Spec V tank.

- Fluval marine 3 LED with Current USA mounting bracket.

- Marineland 606 return pump

-Hygger Adjustable DC powerhead

-VCA Random Flow Generator

- Inkbird ITC-308S

- Hydor 50 watt heater.

- XP Aqua Duetto ATO (super slim power supply)

- Auto Aqua Smart Level Security

-InTank Aquatics water director, plug kit, and surface skimmer

- Artic COV- 44100 8 Switch power strip with custom ICM203 feed delay circuit.

Always wanted to try a proper PICO reef. I love DIY and this one absolutely pushed my limits, the hardest build I've ever done. The biggest constraint was using all UL or other certified products.

*Much of this was already written elsewhere so it's gonna be copy pasta but I would LOVE to answer questions along the way from the N-R family. 

*The tank no longer resides with me in Hawaii, but I get to live vicariously through the new owner.

• Like 2
chaostactics

The first piece of equipment I got for the tank. A reef breeders prism ATO. 

New gear just showed up! Hoping this will fit. 

IMG_20200917_150024.jpg

And... I hated. It's a great concept but the low level sensor is way too low for a pico and probably many nano aquariums. Just went ahead and spent double the price and pulled the trigger on a XP duetto ATO
chaostactics

Well back to something I do love. Some pics of the first DIY/mod I've done to the tank.

The tank came with a Current LED which seems to get a lot of hate but tbh I kinda like it and also I don't want to spend any more money on a new light.

I didn't however like the rim/leg mount of the light on the rim. Too easy to knock off, I already sent the light for a swim, and I wanted something that was going to look more sleek.

Step one was to cut the stock mounting bracket off the rear chamber. It was glued on with silicone so a little bit of patience and a razor blade was all it took to remove it.

PhotoGrid_1600398165400.jpg

And then I did a little bit of R&D and some mock-up and came up with a way to mount a stock current tank mount bracket without using the supplied clamp.

PhotoGrid_1600398208490.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
chaostactics

This is really my first time doing this sort of acrylic project. Huge shout out to Avast Marine Works  for having craftics plastic weld on hand that stuff is a pain to find but works so much better than weldon.

PhotoGrid_1600398270832.jpg

I did all the cutting on my circular saw with a 200 tooth blade but it was fairly rusty/dull so I ended up with pretty rough edges. So I tried flame polishing the edges using a blowtorch and although not flawless came out better than expected.

PhotoGrid_1600398313860.jpg

The slot in the bracket is in case I ever want to add a thumb screw to adjust the height of the light. But in order to prevent light spill I plan on having the light as low/close to the water as possible.

After letting the acrylic set for 24 hours I then attached my new bracket to the back of the tank with silicone That way if I ever wanted to remove it down the road it would just take more patience and a razor blade.

PhotoGrid_1600398571752.jpgI have a lot of failed DIY projects so I was pretty happy when this turned out the way I was hoping.

• Like 4

Happy to report the light bracket is holding. Very very well as a matter of fact.

I actually removed one bracket since the light weighs so little and it can now freely pivot 90 degrees (and a bit more) in each direction. MVIMG_20200917_170847.jpg

This is what I mean by pivot. Gives great access to reach in or feed or whatever else without having to remove the light all together.IMG_20200918_203513.jpg

• Like 3
On 9/2/2021 at 9:52 AM, Instant_taco said:

This is fire. Loving the progress

Thank you so much!

On 9/2/2021 at 10:28 AM, DevilDuck said:

Great job modifying the light!

Appreciate it! Thanks. Gone through a upgrades since, though we're using the same current bracket throughout. Will post pics soon

• 5 months later...