ReefCleaners.org

The Mantis Tank Thread

travisurfer

i picked it up at the LFS, elmers aquarium in monroeville labeled as a lime mantis (clearly not) i will be housing it in my toms 3g for the time being

DSC_3283.jpg

using the same regiment that i used when i kept a pygmy octopus in there in the fall/winter with small daily waterchanges from my 30+15 reef

althefishguy

Very Very Cool great pics I was going to post my latest pics, but after seeing those I won't waste everybodys time. Damn thats a pretty Mantis

DSC_3312.jpg

DSC_3316.jpg

DSC_3292.jpg

18w of pc is much harder to shoot under than my 30 cube with 250w mh and 65 w actinic

If you ever for whatever reason decide that you need to let him go to another Mantis lover I so want first Dibs on that beautiful Mantis!!!!!

will do.

so i've decided 3g seens a bit small so im in the process of getting a 12" cube made (that holds water, which is the current problem) it doesnt hold much water now but im taking it back to the LFS tomorrow to get it sealed up using the same black sand and i picked up a few more lbs of lr which will sit in the fuge till this thing works

DSC_3318.jpg

DSC_3317.jpg

it will reside between my 30 oceanic and my 15h gravity fed fuge

DSC_3423.jpg

12" cube to match my 30 oceanic, meral spots are orange

feedings have consisted of astrea snails, frozen mysis from a syringe and one crayfish but other than a few whacks has not eaten a hermit yet

aaarrrgh

I hate dilemma's - there's an N Wennerae for sale locally from a fellow reefer - just what I've been looking for - to put in my 10G. Unfortunatly I have a maroon clown in there now - and not sure the two will cohabitate peacefully :(

• 3 weeks later...

I'm bringing this thread back with a bang!!!!!!

O. Scyllarus attacking and eating a bluering octopus!!!!!!!

Monte is doing pretty good, the spot isnt getting any bigger and she is eating selcon soaked shrimp and snails (i really need to setup a 15G snail breeding tank), 15% water changes every other week plus a skimmer rated for 65G, we are going to beat this and monte is getting ready for her title matches

and im setting up a few more tanks lol and starting the planning for the next surprise...who wants rare livestock :D

travisurfer
DSC_3423.jpg

12" cube to match my 30 oceanic, meral spots are orange

feedings have consisted of astrea snails, frozen mysis from a syringe and one crayfish but other than a few whacks has not eaten a hermit yet

i would fix that rockwork. although it looks nice, the mantis could easily topple the whole scape causing some problems.

aaarrrgh

I hate dilemma's - there's an N Wennerae for sale locally from a fellow reefer - just what I've been looking for - to put in my 10G. Unfortunatly I have a maroon clown in there now - and not sure the two will cohabitate peacefully :(

not worth the risk imo

I'm bringing this thread back with a bang!!!!!!

O. Scyllarus attacking and eating a bluering octopus!!!!!!!

Monte is doing pretty good, the spot isnt getting any bigger and she is eating selcon soaked shrimp and snails (i really need to setup a 15G snail breeding tank), 15% water changes every other week plus a skimmer rated for 65G, we are going to beat this and monte is getting ready for her title matches

and im setting up a few more tanks lol and starting the planning for the next surprise...who wants rare livestock :D

old video but whatever. sounds good matty. keep us posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh cool, Yota! I saw that mantis at Elmer's Aquarium when I was there last month -- if I didn't already have Mo in my 5g, I'd have snatched him up immediately. He's amazing looking.

I'm so glad to see he went to a beautiful home with someone who's going to spoil him rotten!

By the way, what do I have to do to join the mantis club around these parts? :lol:

well its not looking too good for monte, despite strict water changes and only selcon soaked food and gut loaded live food...she still has shell disease and its getting worse day by day...im just going to do what i can to make sure she is happy and healthy and hope for the best

well its not looking too good for monte, despite strict water changes and only selcon soaked food and gut loaded live food...she still has shell disease and its getting worse day by day...im just going to do what i can to make sure she is happy and healthy and hope for the best

When was the last time Monte molted?

althefishguy

Matty I hope Monte makes it. Did you try Dr. Roy maybe he can offer some help ?

here are the latest pics of Stella. I found out its a she ! my camera still sucks waiting for my son to get home from USAF tech school with my good camera. I removed most of the rock pile, I'm using epoxy to make a shelved wall of about 10lb of LR so I can add some low light stuff can't make it to tall she loves to climb and the tank has an open top. There is 1- harlequin serp. star with her (she never touches it) and for some reason she has let 1 feeder shrimp live and 2 snails kills everything else live I put in there, I also feed her krill & scallops.

I keep working on better pics, but this is what I have for now. :huh:

Fight The Fight Monte !!!!!

post-13936-1187850989_thumb.jpgpost-13936-1187851293_thumb.jpgpost-13936-1187851313_thumb.jpgpost-13936-1187851333_thumb.jpgpost-13936-1187851354_thumb.jpgpost-16383-1132384922_thumb.jpgpost-13936-1187851414_thumb.jpgpost-13936-1187851434_thumb.jpg[attachmen

=27917:attachment]post-13936-1187851485_thumb.jpg

post-13936-1187851381_thumb.jpg

post-13936-1187851467_thumb.jpg

monte is a 5" peacock mantis so its been since november when she last molted, my guess is that the time is coming soon for another molt since its been awhile, my only concern is that its going to be so much worse when she molts that i would rather have her not molt, so like i said im doing the best i can right now, getting about 5G water changes every two weeks i might bump up to 5G every week for a month and get the water perfect and then go from there back down to every 2 weeks with no lighting on the tank