12" stomatopod tank

Jared

this is my attempt, to have an almost maintenance free super clean looking tank

My setup consists of

12x12x12 custon starfire cube

2 3/4 bulkheads drilled into the bottom which is the only equiptment showing

about 4lbs live rock

thin layer of fine white reed sand

for filtration im using an xp3 canister which gives me 350gph of flow and also contains an elite 50 watt heaters and a 5 watt submersible light for growing cheato

i will also keep a small bag of charcoal and some light filter floss

im on the look out for a dosing pump so i can build an ATO unit

the lighting is a 70 watt viper halide, its clamped on the side for now but im going to make a holder for it so its more away from the tank to get the 360 degree viewing ability.

stocking:

soft and lps corals

and.............

a G Smithii Mantis shrimp, he has awesome colors, i will get pictures ASAP

for the mean time heres a couple photos to see what i have going on so far, eventally the stand will be out of the corner so you can walk all the way around

p1180001sd4.jpg

p1180003gn4.jpg

p1180002zm7.jpg

h2ff4.jpg

h1hi8.jpg

thoughts ont the setup and rock work so far?

i currently have nassurus snails and just the cheapest hermits i can find, and replenish as the mantis makes the CUC into dinner, with the canister packed with cheato agea i hope to keep the nuisance algea to a minimum

Sweet - can you post up details/photos on your canister mods? I am about to do the same thing with my 5g using the smallest Eheim Ecco - except that I am thinking of bringing all of the wires the top by drilling the mods through the lid. What are you using to seal up the holes?

Finally - Where did you find your LEDs? and are the of the correct spectrum to grow macros?

can do just charginf the camera battery!

drilling through the side is alot easier, at least for me so i didnt have to run the light all the way to the bottom, also made it so i could kep the media boxes in the canister. I used an automotive 2 part bumper repair glue, by far the fastest drying and the strongest product, for something cheaper and easier to get a hold of home depot sells a gray 2 part marine epoxy, takes 24 hours to dry and fairly strong.

cheato algae doesnt require any special lighting, the one i got is the exact same as the one chad used, a 5 watt submersible light, gets the job done.

this is the same one i got and i just cut out the pump and it works great

http://cgi.ebay.ca/SUBMERSIBLE-MINI-SPOT-L...1QQcmdZViewItem

i am surprised no one has used a larger canister filter, either one of the ehiem's 1250/1260 or an ocean canister filter and pump of your choice. Seems like the rena's won't give you enough water movement.

Can't drill mine (though considering it for a tank upgrade), so the tubes would come over the side, where the wires run down for the PH and heater currently. If I can find the right hardware it should be a little cleaner than the current setup.

You are putting the cheato in the bottom bin and LR in the top and middle?

Eheim rates their GPH with a full media load, Rena (and most others) rate theirs empty - something to consider when comparing flow rates on canisters.

no live rock, i dont really see a need, and breaking up rock is a pain, im probably going to add another product to reduce algae growth in the tank. then all i need is doing pump which i got on ebay so i will have a top off unit.

i bought my metering pump online so i will have the auto top off running soon, my plan is to have it so i could leave for a week and everything would be fine

and i got some of my first frags, so heres what i got. excuse my poor photography skills

coral1sk6.jpg

coral2rk6.jpg

coral3uc5.jpg

coral4zo7.jpg

coral5is6.jpg

excuse my picture whoring, but i got my mantis a rogers damsel as a tank mate, and traded in bunch of my large hermits for small zebra hermits, almost bite size for leonidas.

if the damsel lives for awhile, im probably going to swap it out for a tank bred clown fish

p1260066bm3.jpg

p1260068jw8.jpg

p1260069sz5.jpg

p1260070do6.jpg

p1260072my3.jpg

Archived