Innovative Marine Aquariums

Official Pom Pom Crab (Lybia Tesselatta) Thread

CGNano

Yeah, so I got one today too... it's so cool... So people were saying they've trained it to eat shrimp off a stick etc... what do people feed them? Brine... Mysis... something else?

Sweet pics, Chocolate! Mine seems to really like taking up a position under an overhang of rock or coral, as in your first pics.

Sharpie--Mine likes just about anything. I feed Cyclopeeze with a pipette, and he likes to have it squirted at him. He will also take other frozen foods, sinking pellets, etc.

chocolateblnt

Yea they love to perch under stuff ... mine will actually wrap it's legs backwards on the overhang teeth and collect stuff with the 'nems :)

chocolateblnt

Nothing you can notice ... usually fish don't bother stuff that will bother them back. My 6 Line Wrasse was swimming checking out the pom pom and it was fun to see the crab defending :)

i love these crabs! they are sooo cool. :D i would like to get one. do you think it would be ok with this stuff?

12g nc

3 shrimp

saddleback clown

small lt anemone

yellow polyps

scooter blenny

scarlet and tiny blue hermits

turbo and nassarius snails

feather duster

chocolateblnt

yes! They are ez to keep and peaceful. Make sure you have some iodine present in your system ... it's very important for quick and proper molting. They are most vulnerable when they molt as any invert.

Edited by chocolateblnt

two of mine have already molted since I've introduced them to my tank!

One hangs out under the powerhead (at the water inlet) funny to watch them upside down like that.

Pom poms split their anemones when they grow to big or... if another one of their friends is missing theirs, they share... So in other words, they get the anemones from another crab...

Yes. As I understand it, this anemone is not found free-living. Nice case of co-evolution!

One does wonder how the crab larvae find their first anemones when they settle...

Very sketchy info:

The anemone:

http://www.edge-of-reef.com/anemoni/ESATriactisen.htm

See juvie crabs with anemones:

http://www.edge-of-reef.com/brachiuri/BRAL...essellataen.htm

And, just for the heck of it, an interesting crab link I found in passing:

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/efc/liv...9&inhab=166

--Diane

• 2 weeks later...

I love mine. I never thought of getting more than one. But I just ordered two more. I have had my original one for almost a year and 3 months. He came from my 55g to my AP24. He still is shy and it is hard to find out from which cave he is peeking. I think he has the tank mapped out preaty well.

firstimereefer

I just got a pom pom last thursday, and I havent seen him since, its in a 12G JBJ with invert safe fish.

Edited by firstimereefer

^^^ get a flashlight out and check around at night.

They dont like fishees not matter what kind...so they tend to hide at day and out at night to feed.

Pomees are endogenous to Hawaii...so Im sure thats where they get the anemone.

But as some one posted earlier...not much info on the anemone.

Izzue

sparticleveland

I really want one of these guys. They are pretty much impossible to find locally, but I keep pestering my LittleLFS, since they get some cool oddball critters now and then in with their regular shipments. The LFSuperstore you can forget here; they get truckloads of ocellaris clowns and mandarin gobies (which they blithely sell without so much as a word about the 'pod diet they need -- thank G*d I didn't buy one when i was brand new!) -- but no pom-pom crabs.

I wanna pom-pom!

And since it's winter I'm really afraid to order them, even via overnight -- who knows what kind of system shock they might get in transit? Yikes.

But that's a moot point 'cause I can't even find them anywhere! (Not to mention which I am spending enough to finance another family. :lol:)

quick question, i have a pom pom crab but he lost both anemones, i recently took out the sabae anemone because it was harming other coral. The only thing left is a frogspawn. i assume i will need to add a anemone into teh tank so he can get some pom poms?