Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Official Pom Pom Crab (Lybia Tesselatta) Thread

CGNano

I just took these pictures and instantly thought of this thread....

pompom.jpg

pompom2.jpg

Jesse

Edited by reefman23

here's my little guy. asdf008.jpg

I have 2 but this one attacked the other pom pom crab, held him down, and ate his anemones before he released him... meanie lol

I ordered a few of them at work, and to my surprise, two of them were DOA, but the third was just fine and is now in the 24 x 12 x 8 frag tank at work. He decided to ditch the pink anemones he had, and now has aiptasia on his little mitts! Is there a safe way to remove them without hurting him?

Do the anemones bother other corals?

I havent seen any problems, nor have I heard of anyone else having any problems.

Jesse

I have a female pom pom that I got a month or so ago. I know she is female because she was carying eggs when I got her. SHe dropper her eggs sometime ago and recently I saw her with a new egg sack. I think I should get her a boy toy.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of shots of mine from last night:

dscn0751largegc3.jpg

dscn0752largess2.jpg

And 3 little videos (40 seconds each) that look terribly grainy at Google size, but still show those little mouthparts moving like crazy:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5886313815911928770

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3398448165603811538

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2898440126599039787

--Diane

Hey these crabs look really cool, im in the UK, does any one knwo where you can get them in the uK? I've asked my lfs but he said he'd have to check wiht the supplier. is there any online sites that sell these in the UK? thanks

• 2 weeks later...

That's a good question. I believe someone posted earlier that this species is known to be free-living in the wild...

But I have an interesting fact to relate. After my pom-pom's anemones dwindled down from 2 lush ones, to 2 not-so-lush ones, to 1 rather scraggly looking one, he is now back to 2, which both look nice and healthy. The only thing I can think of is that this correlates with my adding food much more regularly to the tank once my gobies began spawning. Don't know how this would affect the health of the anemones, but something has. Also, I have to assume that the crab somehow split up the one remaining nem he used to have into 2...

--Diane

Is there a way to tell what sex a Pom Pom Crab is? I'd like to get mine a friend of the opposite sex but I don't know if mine is a guy or girl and if the ones I see at the lfs are male or female.

Sexing should be the same as other crabs. Femails have a broad plate on their belly while males have a much slimmer plate. Check out the crabs at your local supermarket for the difference, since it's much easier to see on a large dead crab than the small pom pom.

Quick question, anyone know the care requirements for the pom pom nems? The ones on my pom pom's seem to be dwindling and I don't know why. All the other nems in my tank are doing great and splitting.

Have 2 pom pom crabs for sale or trade. Will trade for bright or rare Zoa, Ric's, SPS. Make your offers. Had them for over 4 months and doing great. Located in Los Angeles.