CGNano

Official Pom Pom Crab (Lybia Tesselatta) Thread

c est ma
Just thought Id post a pic of my pom pom... I have only been able to spot him once during the day... he comes out every night though. This pic was taken at night.

pompomatnight.jpg

Jesse

Super pic! Look at the detail on those mouth parts! He has two nice looking anemones as well. I love these guys! I think part of the fun is not being able to see them all the time. Although mine has gotten pretty bold and will join the rest of the clamoring crew when I feed the tank.

--Diane

vike50brian

Wow, great pic reefman23, one of the best ive seen on this site. I think your right c est ma, part of the lure of this speciese is only seeing them from time to time. Although mine reappears in the same spot like clock work every time i feed the tank. Hes definitely my favorite amongst many favorites in my tank.

boomer2266

after a while will they get used to light and come out during the day????

florida8

Wow! That's a great shot! Thanks for sharing.

Argent

I just picked up three of them tonight for a killer deal...

Here's one after being added to the tank

pompom01.jpg

c est ma

Argent, another great pic! And more lush, lush anemones! I love the way the eye markings on these guys appear to give them such droll expressions. And of course their other markings are just stunning.

boomer2266,

IME they do become less shy over time. Mine doesn't exactly gallivant around the rocks when the lights are on, but I can usually find him peering out of a crevice, and if I put a pipet of Cyclopeeze anywhere near him he comes running, waving his anemones. Sometimes I do notice him strolling around the backside of the rock before lights out. I should add that I don't have anything large or threatening in my tank, just a pair of green-banded gobies, some hermits and snails, some mild mannered brittlestars, etc.

IME these guys totally refute the "no crab is a safe crab" saying. Plus they're gorgeous and fascinating.

--Diane

CGNano

With no fish in the tank mine was almost always out and about.

nicDH

just got mine a few days ago at the place I work at.. he has both his anemones - one light red and one darker red, pretty good size too. Hopefully I'll add another soon! :)

CGNano

Good luck with it! (them!)

Izzue

omgomgomg

cgnano...your aviator is giving me flashbacks...

:lockdown:

:haha:

lol...

Pom poms are the GREATest crab to enjoy with their defence..

Izzue

CGNano

LOL Izzue.

yes they are. the only commonly available fully reef-safe crab imo.

rleon3003

how many of these can i put in a 2.5g? im thinking three. i have 3 hermits and 3 snails.

CGNano

One or two, but not three.

rleon3003

two's a good number. thanx

reefman23

Seriously CGnano, your avatar is going to give me a seisure.

Jesse

CGNano

ok.

Argent

so where do they get their Triactis Producta anemone's from?

S.I.C.
ok.

I have to hold my hand up over your avatar so I can read your thread.

I love my pom pom. He came out of the rocks the other day and started juping on the hermits backs after being shy for a over six months. He cruised around in broad daylight for about five minutes. Very cool!

His name is Pep.

maaron

how big do these crabs normally get? i got one with just one anemone. will they actually split it and make two?

boomer2266

can i add two of them in a 20g that has a cleaner, peppermint, anemone crab, 4 hermits s maroon and a dwarf angel ? or should i get rid of something first to make some space?

adawg

I will be starting up my 1st tank soon. After it is well established, my wife would like one of thse. My question is will it live nicely with an emerald crab, shrimp, false perc. and a blenny or goby of some sort? I also will have mostly softies and a few SPS. Will everyone live happily?

mandarin dragonet

theyre adorable :) im thinking of getting one now :happy:

adawg

How long has everyone had their pom-poms? In reading up on them, a lot of sources claim they do not live long.

Many thanks!

c est ma

I've had mine for almost a year now (11 days short of a year). :)

chocolateblnt

Just Sharing My Pom Pom :)

DSCN2809.jpg

PomPomCrabonRedTreeSponge.jpg

BoxerCrab.jpg

BoxerCrabSuperCloseUp.jpg