Top Shelf Aquatics

Official Pom Pom Crab (Lybia Tesselatta) Thread

CGNano

I found the ancient Pom Pom Crab thread and I think you all convinced me to give them a try.  I'll be going to a popular LFS either today or next week so maybe they'll have one in stock. 🙂 I just hope it doesn't kick my Yellow Watchman Goby out of it's den!

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
6 hours ago, Seadragon said:

I found the ancient Pom Pom Crab thread and I think you all convinced me to give them a try.  I'll be going to a popular LFS either today or next week so maybe they'll have one in stock. 🙂 I just hope it doesn't kick my Yellow Watchman Goby out of it's den!

I miss my pom pom.. not sure whatever happened to mine. I saw it 6 times over the course of 8 months.

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

I’ve had a Pom Pom crab for around 6 months now I noticed that he had lost his anemones probably around 2 months in. Getting home from work today and I had noticed that he had grabbed a piece of my frogspawn. I was wondering if this will just die off or if it will grow similar to if it were polyp bailout.

• Wow 1
  • 4 weeks later...

My two daughters wanted me to set up our aquarium so we did a few days ago. We have fish in it and my daughter wants a crab. I would love to get a pompon crab. My tank is a 29 gallon fresh water tank. None of my fish are aggressive. Would this be ok for a pompon crab or two? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Bringing this thread back from the dead with a 1 year bump!

My pom pom is easily my favourite inhabitant. Great character and behaviour to watch. 

It’s fairly confident too and I regularly see it out and about towards the end of the day looking for some food and waving it’s anemones around. 

D2911252-5EEF-4A01-8978-22D8F56A552A.thumb.jpeg.2c2ff232031cbc9abe2b8f8ef32a0e29.jpeg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, NanoGrant said:

That’s a pain about the high shipping cost. Could your LFS special order?

I got lucky and this one was just at my LFS when I happened to stop by and I couldn’t pass it up. 

My LFS sucks, so I just keep checking everywhere to see if they show up in a petco or something lol. 

• Like 1

So I stopped to have my usual look around the tank every time I walk past it and I noticed my Pom Pom crab has a clutch of eggs! 

I’m so chuffed that it feels happy enough in the tank to do this. 

(Excuse the blurry photo but it was lights off, and it’s a bit skittish probably due to the eggs)

5B94435F-DFBC-4988-A994-87638C81975D.thumb.jpeg.bff99ed6c9cf2c2f23603896effa3ddc.jpeg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Now I want a pom pom crab. Thanks a bunch 🙂

Can’t recommend one enough!

Super interesting to watch it hunt for food and it’s such a unique invert with it’s relationship with the anemones. They really shine in nano tanks too as they don’t disappear into a giant system. 

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Just discovered these guys recently and decided I would like to add them to my 30gal mixed reef. Would it be better to house two of them instead of just one? Currently debating on getting one or two. Figured if I got two, then they might help each other in the event one looses both nems