ReefCleaners.org

Tigahboy's Reefaroni (67g+30g prop)

reef hugger

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Tigahboy

transferred more corals over into the 67g.

FTS as of 15 minutes ago:

fts0511.jpg

Absolutly beautiful tank Tigah. The school of Anthias look great in there.

B)

Bob

brianemone

Hey Tb how do you find the little giant?? at the moment i'm stocking up for my new tank and im thinking about one of these as my friend works for an engineering co that sells them (only place in NZ)

Tigah, are you going to have any shrimp in there?

If so I wouldn't put a sixline wrasse in there, I had one and it killed 2 cleaner shrimp and 1 fire shrimp that I had( They eat there eyes). But my tank is only a 10g so maybe a sixline wrasse would leave shrimp alone since your tank is alot bigger.

Anyway, just thought I should let you know.

Trio of fire shrimp. ;) Cleaner shrimp are the only way to go for big tanks, IMO. They are the only ones who are actually social and active. I know that Tigah is anti-cleaners, though. Will never forget sitting there trying to catch one out of the 30gal for 1/2 an hour. :P

do you think a wrasse and hurd of anthias would get along? just wondering since wrasses and anthias are kind of similar in shape (which may not mean crap, but i have read a couple warnings in books just w/ regards to anthias and other planktovores).

I'm not sure how aggresive those dispar anthias are though.

I think a more docile Wrasse like a fairy wrasse would be great. As long as it is well fed I dont think it will go after any shrimp. I'm going to put a carpenter wrasse in my tank to keep my watchman goby company. My plan is to starve him until he is forced to hunt down a murder my cleaner shrimp and pepermint shrimp j/k. Here is a nice shot of a carpenter wrasse. BTG lgreen, Wrasses are strictly carnivores....they will eat very LARGE chunks of meat!!

http://store1.yimg.com/I/marinedepotlive_1842_3862726

Awesome tank pics dude. I was hoping you would give blasto's a shot again. That red wellsi frag is looking great now!

Its really funny how the pink acan and red blasto got sickly and withered away in my tank, yet are looking great in yours.

Beware of Tigah's voodoo curse :P

Thanks for the comments, guys.

I have 2 fire shrimp. I think 1 (the third one) died after the first couple days of getting it.

The pink acan I got from you is doing well, Belowh20. but for some reason it hasn't been growing that much at all. I think it's just a really really sensitive acan.

My fish bioload is close to its limit. But I do like how the fairy wrasse looks. =)

Originally posted by The Speez

I think a more docile Wrasse like a fairy wrasse would be great.  As long as it is well fed I dont think it will go after any shrimp.  I'm going to put a carpenter wrasse in my tank to keep my watchman goby company.  My plan is to starve him until he is forced to hunt down a murder my cleaner shrimp and pepermint shrimp j/k.  Here is a nice shot of a carpenter wrasse.  BTG lgreen, Wrasses are strictly carnivores....they will eat very LARGE chunks of meat!!

http://store1.yimg.com/I/marinedepotlive_1842_3862726

Are you saying that my wrasse wasn't well fed and that's why it killed my shrimps?:

I used to feed him good everyday, but he was a pig so maybe he got a little hungry and that's why it ate all the shrimps eyes. :|

scarletknight06

tigah,

how are you liking your anthias? I'm getting interested in them myself and i was wondering what you feed them and how often you do so?

did you see that guys tank that got TOTM a month or 2 back on RC? he kept a harlequin tusk in his reef. If you dont have snails or hermits in your reef it seems like it would be a reall cool addition for you (until it outgrew the tank that is).

BTG lgreen, Wrasses are strictly carnivores....they will eat very LARGE chunks of meat!!

Yes true, I wasn't saying that wrasses are planktovores, but that they are very similar in shape to plantovoris fish, such as anthias, which some books have reccommended should not be housed with more aggressive anthias, as A )they may out compete the anthias or B ) the anthias (if aggressive enough) may kill the other fish.

But anyway, besides that, why would you want to have all fish that pretty much look the same, except color.

Get some shapes in there. you already have long and skinny, get something diff to break it up a bit.

thanks for the comments. I feed my anthias everyday the same stuff I feed the rest: combo of frozen mysis, brine, and cyclo-peeze.

they're all doing great and their schooling action is definitely coolio.

here's some more fish pics:

67g0513a.jpg

67g0513c.jpg

on another note, I've been fighting off some mad heat issues. since socal has been warmer these days, my tank got up to as high as 85 degrees last night!

So I took the advice from uchiha and socalcreations and just bought a bunch of fans from target. They definitely work. Temp stable at 81 degrees now. But I went a little overboard w/ the fans. =P

67g0513g.jpg

One for the sump

67g0513h.jpg

Another clip-on for the prop

67g0513i.jpg

And a beefed up fan for the 67g.

67g0513j.jpg

Get a Yellow Long Nosed Butterfly! ;) That or the Chevron Tang would look awesome. The different shape of either would add some much needed diversity. I do envy your little school, though.

haha. Welcome to the "Fan Club" (lmao), Tigah! :P i've still got my big fan pointed accross the surface of my tank. :P Couldn't live without it!

Here's some eye candy for ya...

blue center blasto wellsi!

67g0513b.jpg

and a colony of "lime twist" Micromussa Amakusensis....

67g0513f.jpg

67g0513d.jpg

67g0513e.jpg

(yes, I came up w/ that spiffy name myself. haha)

How many Anthias do you have in there Tigah? I thought you had 5, but I just counted 8 or 9. Very nice school you have there.

B)

Bob

Archived