inTank Media Baskets

Tigahboy's Reefaroni (67g+30g prop)

reef hugger

nofriendsbz3

hey tigah, what method do you use for curing your live rock? Ive done some research, but you have done it successfully so i was wondering how you do it.

thanks

nick

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cure LR in either 1 of 2 ways:

1) speed curing (not really super fast, but faster than the 2nd method at least):

-Use one of those rubbermaid-type storage bins w/ saltwater and place all LR in there

-I then just stick a cheapo normal fluorescent light fixture - I think it's only 12w or something and i paid $7 for it at target - on top and I basically just leave that on 24 hours a day.

-place one powerhead in there to provide circulation

-within the first couple of days I'll take the LR out and "clean" them off in a separate container w/ saltwater. I tweeze, toothbrush, or even chisel off any unwanted macro algae and critters.

-Around day 3 or 4, I do a 100% water change.

-Around day 8 or 9, I'll do a 25-50% water change.

-Then I just let it be

-I start testing water params a couple of days after the 2nd water change.

-I just test for ammonia and nitrites basically. Once those 2 reach zero, you're all set.

-Oh, and I've never had to wait longer than 2 weeks or so with this method. never had any losses by adding this fast cured LR either.

2) Slower method (when I'm lazy or in no hurry and probably "safer" than the method above)

-Do all of the above but just do a couple 25% water changes and then just let it sit

-This approach can take up to a month or so.

edit: oh, and for one load of LR, I had it in the bin for like 2 months. never did a single water change since my tank wasn't even ready, so it just went thru a natural cycle on its own.

and I like to throw in some used filter media (like a filter pad or sponge) from my existing tank into the LR curing bin along w/ a little sand and rock rubble to seed it. not sure if that actually speeds up things, but doesn't hurt anything. =P

just whatever spare ph I have. and I guess it depends on the size of the bin. shoot for 10x turnover at the very minimum.

TheCoralReef731

i think some people do a shorter method in which they expose the rock to super high light, such as MH. Not sure if it works, since I dont have a high power light yet.

nofriendsbz3

one last question, does it matter if the rocks are on top of eachother. I read somewhere that you shouldnt have them on top of eachother.

By the way you have a sick tank.

The blastos are looking pretty nice, Tigah! ;) I bet the acans are feeling a bit left out, though. Not as much attention and gawking anymore. :(

reef hugger

Your welcome. Everything is doing well and they are expanding nicely. You got me beat I only have 5 Blastomussa wellsi but, I do have a B. merletti so I guess that counts as 6 Blasto's. :)

yeah. i've been working on my blasto collection for awhile now (they are a lot harder to find than one would think)...I think finding a really nice blasto wellsi (one that will survive too) is a lot harder than finding acan...actually neglected the acan stuff while I was looking for them blastos. blastos are my fav. =)

nofriendbz - i stack my rocks. i don't see why not? haven't had any probs yet.

yeah, man. acans are so last week. it's all about the blastos now. get w/ the program yo! haha.

[and b. merlettis don't count. sorry]

reef hugger

NO IT IS NOT TIME FOR A BLASTOMUSSA FAD!!! They were getting more expensive because of those damn Acans.

I took some real pictures this time; instead of the half-assed ones I've been taking recently. =P

Here's more of my blastomussa fad...er...i mean...garden. =)

67g0511d.jpg

67g0511e.jpg

67g0511h.jpg

67g0511c.jpg

They are so awesome to watch when they swim in and out of the large cave. They've even made it their home and sleep in there at night.

67g0511a.jpg

67g0511b.jpg

winniebagel

It's starting to sound a bit like Pokemon with those Blastos. "Gotta Collect 'Em All!" lol

Awesome pics of all the new corals! What camera do you use?

Your dendro is amazing... :o So you've converted to epoxy for the blastos? I'm going to have to get some if my acros keep falling. They've been good for a while now, though. ;) The fish are quite awesome and I'm seriously jealous. Where's the tang, though? :P

I love it. That yuma is still awesome. Where you gonna' put the frogspawn? ;) My sexies love it and are all around it now, eating, but it's too big! It gets blown too hard, sometimes because it stretches out in front of the SEIO. : Let me know when you want to come get it. Haha. I figure that whenever you're up for the drive over, I'll just let you deal w/ fragging it (would make me feel better) and we can talk about a small frag of something in return. :) Your tank is amazing...

Man that last FTS is an admiration dude. So far so good. This thing is going to be out of this world man.

Archived