Coral Vue Hydros

Tigahboy's Reefaroni (67g+30g prop)

reef hugger

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll take a FTS after I get the new LR in. =) It should be any day now.

actually, I'll go test the nitrites now. it could be today!

Did you cut it or is that how you got it? If you did cut it, I hope my piece is close by. ;) lmao. (I wish). Your froggy is getting close, btw... I'm going to check it in the morning when it's all scrunched up... How'd the rock testing go?

EDIT: Sorry for the new page. :P :

it came like that.

and sorry. no FTS tonite. still some nitrites. VERY VERY close to zero tho. probably next couple days it will be ready.

reefofart

Wow. When you see a coral like that it makes you wonder why more people aren't hooked on reef keeping. Cool stuff.

I finally found the damn containers that you have at my target... They had like 2 left. :) Thanks for the tip. It worked perfect and I have a top-off system now! :) FTS? ;)

I just took this pic tho of the rainbow extending its feeders. It keeps closing them up by the time the mh's fully fire up, so I just had to take a couple shots while the mh lighting was still transitioning (so a lot of actinics in this pic w/ my T5 actinics providing most of the lighting)...

67g0506b.jpg

TheCoralReef731

It looks like there is an emerald crab on top of the rainbow. How does your auto top-off work? Is it gravity fed or what?

I think that's a stomatella. haha. not positive. I've never seen an emerald in my 67g tho.

My auto top-off works w/ float switch and pump. I'm actually working on it right now to make it better. I'll post pics of my progress later today.

So I decided to "upgrade" my auto top-off and hard plumbed it. Also replaced the water storage container (gift wrap bins) w/ another container. Bought it at office max and it fits nicely underneath the prop tank (hold roughly 10g).

And I replaced the maxijet 1200 w/ mag2.

I'm still waiting for the pvc cement to cure some more before I test, and I have to connect the float valve for the RO/DI unit to the new container.

but here's a pic of the progress thus far:

67g0507a.jpg

I'll post more details and pics later when I have it up and running.

float switch in sump. so w/ that plus the RO/DI float valve, I'll never have to touch the top-off set-up.

I have the one from californiareefs.com and I also have the one from marinedepot (ultralife Float Switch). Not sure which one I want to use yet. I have the californiareefs.com one in the sump right now, so I'll give that a shot first.

Lol. That's greatness. Do you like the californiareefs top-off switch? I'm thinking about getting one to complete my system that I made up... YGPM about frags and the frogspawn, too. :)

ProFlatlander15

nice plumbing tigah, awesome work so far, i can't wait for the full tank shot... is that tape wrapped around the PVC joints?

Decided to use a file storage bin. It holds about 10g of water and is roughly 22x13x12". Also fits perfectly under the prop tank.

67gtop1.jpg

The auto top-off is run by a mag2.

67gtop2.jpg

I hard plumbed the whole project w/ pvc. Added a T w/ ball valve to help slow down the rate of flow from water reservoir to sump by redirecting a bulk of the water pumped by the mag2 back into the water container.

67gtop3.jpg

Did this to prevent water moving out of the water container too quickly and exposing the mag2 to air. Also figured adding freshwater to a reef as slowly as possible would be a more ideal situation.

67gtop4.jpg

Made a hole at the top of the lid and used a slip union so I could easily connect and disconnect the plumbing from the pump.

67gtop5.jpg

pvc then heads for the sump tank

67gtop6.jpg

And releases top-off water at the very top of the sump tank to avoid any back-siphoning issues.

67gtop7.jpg

Here's the float switch from californiareefs.com that turns the mag2 on when drops 1/2" or so.

67gtop8.jpg

Archived