Pod Your Reef

Tigahboy's Reefaroni (67g+30g prop)

reef hugger

So my water reservoir also gets refilled automatically by a float valve directly connected to my RO/DI unit.

67gtop9.jpg

67gtop10.jpg

Here's a pic of actual RO/DI unit under my kitchen sink.

67gtop11.jpg

Drilled a small hole to allow for the tubing to exit thru the bottom.

67gtop12.jpg

I was able to push the tubing underneath carpeting along the wall, so you can barely notice it traveling from my kitchen to my living room closet.

67gtop13.jpg

Here's a pic of the float valve in the down position - so water is allowed thru. The float valve stops when the water level reaches about 0.5" from the top.

67gtop14.jpg

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Travis - "Added a T w/ ball valve to help slow down the rate of flow from water reservoir to sump by redirecting a bulk of the water pumped by the mag2 back into the water container." (from my post).

Basically w/o the T and ball valve redirecting some of the water back, the water level drops wayy too quickly considering it's a very shallow container. Then the mag2 would be exposed to sucking air, which would "suck."

And the water from the RO/DI may not keep up w/ water leaving too quickly since it flows in thru the float valve via a trickle.

So I keep that ball valve all the way open, so the rest of the flow that makes its out of the tank is pretty slow flow.

And I figure slowly adding freshwater is better than adding it quickly.

b/c small powerheads don't handle the head loss as well. And I couldn't precisly determine how fast the RO/DI float valve would refill the water reservoir (or precisely how much the head loss would affect the mag2's flow), so this way I can adjust and fine tune it to meet my needs based on the actual water flows.

btw. my extra 25lb of vanuatu is now fully cured. =)

I still have 40lb more of fiji premium to cure, but I guess I'll just get started on aquascaping w/ the 25lb anyway. I'll just leave some room for the fiji premium.

FishFreak

Any chance that the vanuatu rock comes from the vauatu islands that the show survivor was at?

Can't wait for the FTS.

I went over to the island and harvested it myself. got to watch the show as well. =P

Jeff's exotic fish got em. www.exoticfish.com. but they are local to me, so i just go to their store to buy the LR>

check out my nc6. all of that was vanuatu.

about 50% of the stuff in my tank right now is vanuatu as well.

The vanuatu rock is some cool looking stuff. The way you did your top-off system is awesome, dude! If I weren't so far away from the damn kitchen, I'd hook up the RO/DI like you did... I have to resort to dragging the damn wrapping paper container around to refill it... :|

Hey tigah can you post pics of the vanuatu rock you got. I'm gonna go out and buy live rock soon and just want a idea of how it looks.

scarletknight06

so when are you hooking up your caclium reactor? i bet that will be a fun process.............

I don't have pic of the vanuatu, but I posted pics awhile back of another batch of Vanuatu I got before. here they are:

lr1.jpg

lr5.jpg

lr2.jpg

Originally posted by scarletknight06

so when are you hooking up your caclium reactor?  i bet that will be a fun process.............

I'm not looking forward to that. maybe after I'm done adding all the LR. heheh. =)

7 pages? It only shows me 4. I am impressed with the whole auto top off thing. I see you are well known. No wonder! Very beautiful corals. You must be a whiz at this stuff

Archived