SaltCritters.com

Pygmy Cherub Angelfish

EtOH_is_good

Originally posted by Tigahboy

My guy is still "reef-safe" in my opinion.  But I recently fragged an acan echinata and it had some quasi-dead loose pieces hanging off the skeleton.  

My cherub began picking at the quasi-dead tissue.  Not sure if you would count that as a coral eater since it never bothers live coral, but regardless I got spooked and caught him just now.

anyways.  good luck to the rest of you.  And if anyone wants a cherub angel, I can sell for really cheap; otherwise I'm taking back to LFS for store credit.  PM me if interested.  =)

pccroster2.jpg

i don't see my name there

I'm out of the club as well guys. Mine NEVER nipped any corals. It was however, very aggressive and territorial so I had to pull him. The other tankmates weren't happy and that made me angry so I yanked him. You can put a big ol' X on mine as well now.

I still think I have the best angel out of the whole group. Haha! Mine has yet to nip anything *Knock on wood*. He is also very good friends with my 2 true percs. He usually hangs out with the RBTA and "Momma" Clown on the left side of the tank. Not aggressive at all and he was the first fish added to the tank. Now I'm hoping the Orchid Dottyback (whenever I get one) will also be nice to everyone else. Then I think my fish purchasing spree will end... 5 fish in a 20L would be pushing it w/ all the SPS, IMO... Might just have to add a tang to top it all off, though... ;) Tigah, you just need a school of yellows in your new tank. No other fish. Except maybe a couple sand sifting gobies. Sry. Off topic... You guys know how fast mine will be gone if he tries ######, though... Too much money in acros to let it go. :|

I'm officially out. I flushed the little guy down the toilet earlier tonight so now I officially don't have a cherub any longer. Actually.. I sold him tonight. He's going from a 29 gallon to a 90 gallon and later on to a 130 so he should be happy.

Sucks, man. Sad to hear about all these Cherubs being bad when mine is being great. *knock on wood*

newby... these are dwarf angels. any other type, though, is even more prone to nip at corals. Mine just has some weird fetish for RBTA's because he hangs out w/ the clown and the anemone more than anywhere else in the tank... :

newby-reefer it isn't a good idea to mix dwarf angels in anything less than a 180g tank. pygmy cherub angels are especially agressive to other dwarf angels and will fight to the death or near death with any other dwarf angel

Hey guys I didn't know this thread even existed. I've had mine since the beginning of the month and it hasn't cause any trouble yet (then again I only have LPS in there so far). I see mine constantly eating pods in the tank though so hopefully he stays occupied with things intended to be food heh.

• 2 weeks later...

well today is a very sad day on NR

my cherub was found folded and dead under my intake for my hagen aquaclear powerhead :(

i lost a damn turbo snail to this intake also,

the cherub was living so happily for the 2 weeks that i have had him, and then, he meets the power head, and it sucks him up like a human does when hes finished with a slurpee from 7 eleven

GOD DAMNIT, WHY DID YOU HAVE TO GET SUCKED INTO THE INTAKE

i mean, gosh, he was FOLDED into there!!!!

i, however, put a guard on it from my rio powerhead , i should have done a LONG time ago,

GOD , i cant beleive it, before i went to eat dinner he was fine, and when i come back i see a blueish cover on the powerhead,

my tank seems so EMPTY now, i even noticed that when i added him two weeks ago everything looked realy alive, it was awsome, and now hes DEAD, DEAD DEAD DEAD

NONONONONONONON

:*( :*( :*( :*( :*(

sorry for your loss. didn't know a cherub could not outswim a powerhead. there must be some massive flow. mine easily swims in the currents.

i guess while im here i can give an update. my cherub is doing well. since my blasto has passed, i've decided to severly reduce cherub feedings in a vain attemt to control algae growth. so far, the cherub doesn't appear to have lost weight. the cherub definately is swimming actively in parts of the tank where it did not originally go when introduced. also taking to nipping more at all the algae growing in the tank. lets hope that the algae situation is controlled very soon. if the tank gets clean then maybe nr may get a decent pic of the tank like i've been promising forever.

• 2 weeks later...

Man. That sucks, Smokez. :( Mine scared my girlfriend at first when it was by the PH intake. Now it goes next to it (I have a cage guard on it) and just swims in place. I guess it likes the pull of the current to swim against.

Well yeah mine croaked earlier too. He was exhibiting signs of cyanide poisoning and was spasaming horribly for like an hour, then just died.

So I got another one and I hope this one makes it.

• 1 month later...

I know this is a past thread, but I was very interested when it got started. I'm not one of the brave to take the first dive, but I just bought a centropyge argi(pygmy) from eTropicals for $15. Should feel right at home I hope in my 20L with total volume of 48 gals. I'll post some pics when I get him in the bag and if I can get some in-tank shots. wish me luck in getting a peaceful specimen.

EtOH_is_good

i think that you'll be happy. i think the pygmy cruising in and out of the lr structure is more intresting than a clown swimming frantically in front of the glass. if you look at the other pygmy angel thread, you'll see that i saw the angel's behavior change once it got used to it's new environment.

ps i think rockwork structure is more important than total volume.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry to dig up an old thread but i was just wondering how everone's was doing. i got one about 4 days ago and he seems to be cool with my corals but i only got softies and a plate so idk.

also my setup is a 20 with about 40 lbs of LR, 1 colt, a colony of zoos, and a green plate (short tentical)

Originally posted by Kogut

My pygmy apparently jumped while I was gone, this weekend. :( Found him shrivelled up on the carpet. :( Sad way to die... He was my first fish, too...

Where did you get him/her from?

liveaquaria. :P Had it for over 6 months w/ no problems... It loved my mandarin and clown... Never tried to fight either one and it was the first fish in the tank. :P was in before any coral saw the tank, too. :

EtOH_is_good

just recently, my pygmy has had a change in personality. has taken to swimming out in the open a large percentage of the time. plays in the currents a lot more than previously. don't know if had to do with recent changes in coral positioning or not.

mine has taken a shining to a cave in the bottem center of my rockwork and kinda comes out around 8 (feeding time) i think eventually he will be more social.

reefer21: i havnt had mine long but i have a feeling if you have the time, paitence, and balls they are great fish.