Cultivated Reef

Pygmy Cherub Angelfish

EtOH_is_good

I just got a cherub last week... nothing but LR and other fish though (watchman goby, blue assessor, 2 firefish)

Anyone have updates on compatibility with corals before I start stocking my tank?

Originally posted by mollusk3D

reefer21: i havnt had mine long but i have a feeling if you have the time, paitence, and balls they are great fish.

just got one about a week ago, I love this fish! It likes to hide a lot though :|, but this is only when I walk in the room or sit in front of the tank. Sometimes I like to peak in the room and see if I can see him without him knowing it :P. Hopefully sometime soon the angel will get use to me and come out more.

EtOH_is_good

after awhile it'll eventually come out. my pygmy has taken to cruising the front glass and playing in the currents. still goes into the rockwork but just to change cruising patterns. only hides in the rockwork if my hands in the tank.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Jon B

unfortunately I just bought her home yesterday, and today I noticed a few white dots on her pectoral fins!  crap...  She's the cutest fish though, very curious and eats pods and other things off the live rock like mad.

Get a cleaner shrimp! Angels and tangs both love cleaner shrimp. Mine got a few white dots ,but soon went away with time and now enjoys the company of the cleaner shrimp for daily cleaning :P.

• 3 weeks later...

I just put the cherub in the penalty box (specimen container) for killing one of my red firefish. They had been intimidated into hiding for the past week and one just died of secondary infection/parasites from a wound.

The cherub is a very interesting and active little fish - too bad it has a mean streak.

The wife wants a docile tank so I will move it to the minibow 7g at work on Tuesday and bring home the purple firefish. Do you think the purple and red firefish will get along in my 24g NC?

I've had a Cherub since April 16th. No problems to report with corals but he does pester my fire goby a little. Eats prepared food like a champ and also picks at LR for algae and pods.

Here are some pictures.

Nice, this was one of my favorite fish when I did just salt fish, about 10 years ago..

and it was the first fish I had in mind for this tank.

mine is perpetually picking at things, but never harms it.

Very active and knows every passage in my rocks.

• 2 months later...
Derby Reefer

I just got mine yesterday. Thus far he is all about hanging in the rocks. If I look at my rockwork for a while I will see him as he swims through everything. I have a lot of hole and caves and the such, so he has plenty to do.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
BrassMonkey030

i dont know if i like it or not. i thought it was a cherub but looking at the pics, hes not. his eyes are smaller. hes solid dark blue almost black. with light yellow fins.

2 early to tell, but he may be a mean bugger 2. hes the only fish to bite and hold on to me transfering him over. dont care if he eats my coral. but if he touches my peaceful fish, hes going warp speed in any direction but my tank.

Edited by BrassMonkey030

are you serious argent? these fish are like tangs, they spend their lives guarding a harem in the rubble zone. a single cherub has the territory around the size of a 55g tank. i would say 29g minimum as the only fish.

• 4 weeks later...
chuckfullservice

Well this site accurately answered my cherub question and to see that none of the original poster's are still posting I would have to believe that all experiences with the cherub club have failed , I have read of multiple deaths , aggression and coral nipping and destruction .

NO CHERUB FOR ME THANK YOU!

Edited by chuckfullservice

I still stand beside my Cherub angel and his non-destructive behavior.

In fact he and my cleaner shrimp hang out all the time (I caught the shrimp cleaning him for the first time the other day)

Well this site accurately answered my cherub question and to see that none of the original poster's are still posting I would have to believe that all experiences with the cherub club have failed , I have read of multiple deaths , aggression and coral nipping and destruction .

NO CHREUB FOR ME THANK YOU!

Good call. Fridmani might get a lil aggresive too. Be careful.

EDIT - 2 threads on Cherub's today, and I got em' mixed up. Man I am losing it! lol

D

Edited by FloorLord
heres a pic of "evil" the angelfish.

angel.jpg

can anyone id?

i hope he stays small like a cherub

Not a cherub. Looks almost like it could be a juvi version of one of the larger angels. Don't quote me on it, tho. Could use a better shot from the side.

Looks like a cherub to me -- hard to tell in that lighting but it could have a darker orange face -- but it's got the bright blue lower fin and a yellow tail.