Pod Your Reef

Kindanewtothis
6 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Like in your luggage?

Sounds like a customs issue....though you might never get the smell out of your clothes. 😉 

Yeah in my luggage, in my metal glass, in a plastic bag. Just some small rocks. But yeah I have read about the legal part before coming here but I might take a chance. 

20221209_090628.jpg

Kindanewtothis

Any ID on these snails? Edit: margaritas? What about the tiny ones? Same?

The others are blue legs hermits.

So how long can snails and hermit live in a humid environnement but not under water? Asking for a friend😅

On 12/11/2022 at 1:34 PM, Kindanewtothis said:

So how long can snails and hermit live in a humid environnement but not under water?

Reef Cleaners states, "It is normal if many of the shipping bags have little water, and a wet paper towel. They were shipped that way purposefully."  But I believe they are usually received within 48 hours.  Some of these species are intertidal and can survive in a moist environment for awhile.  I'm not really sure for how long; I imagine that it depends on the species.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 12/11/2022 at 1:34 PM, Kindanewtothis said:

Any ID on these snails?

20221212_162506.jpg

IDK, could be nerite snails.  The crabs seem to be inhabiting cerith and/or dwarf cerith shells.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
1 hour ago, seabass said:

IDK, could be nerite snails.  The crabs seem to be inhabiting cerith and/or dwarf cerith shells.

The picture was terrible, sorry. I meant these snails

Screenshot_20221213_094800_Gallery.jpg

Those Nerites are especially known for crawling out of tanks.  I used to find them on the floor all dried up.  But if you can find them soon enough (like a few days), they'll pop back out after you put them back in the water.

Kindanewtothis
13 minutes ago, seabass said:

Those Nerites are especially known for crawling out of tanks.  I used to find them on the floor all dried up.  But if you can find them soon enough (like a few days), they'll pop back out after you put them back in the water.

Starting to realize this. They are climbing out of the glass I keep them in. Will be collecting rocks today. I should have take the big chiton (over 2") I found the other day but it was early in the week. Coming back to Canada tomorrow.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
11 hours ago, seabass said:

Haha they are trying to escape! So are the hermits. This one doesn't even have a shell!20221213_214226.thumb.jpg.9c1d7c582b026d16336a5e0117654162.jpg

using the sand toys I bought for the kids😅

Rocks, snails and hermits are in water. This water is full of pods and some bigger things (isopods I think). Planning on adding the water in the 10g.

I will count when I'll be home but I think I have something like 25+ hermits and 50+ snails.

20221213_214949.jpg

20221213_214954.jpg

20221213_214936.jpg

• Wow 1
Kindanewtothis

Back home from Mexico, the f***ing anemone is still in the back... of course...😅

Now, regarding my little import operation, everything worked well. 

I got around 100 snails (stopped counting).

A lot of the hermits shed their shells, over stress I presume. I hope they'll make it but I think I lost some.

20221214_191748.thumb.jpg.c3afe4cc16e93fa07caa7088e194b8a4.jpg

The rocks are mostly small due to the containers I had. There is some unidentify stuff on one of the rocks. Any idea?

20221214_191816.thumb.jpg.b2fe4c48a961ce8c47dbb6fd76e82b72.jpg

also does anyone knows what is that jelly type thing next to it? It is alive and moving.20221214_191841.thumb.jpg.af9a1ebe7d3bbdba337a3bf4e83681ef.jpg

Will leave all this in a tank for a while in observation. Do I put food in there? Phyto?

5 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

does anyone knows what is that jelly type thing next to it? It is alive and moving.

Peanut worm?

Remember that it's possible to bring in a fish parasite from wild rocks.  While maybe over cautious, the only way to be absolutely sure that everything is safe is to keep it in a fallow quarantine for a couple of months.

Yes, I'd feed the tank a little.  Maybe some mysis or small fish food to feed the hermits, and some phyto for the pods and filter feeders.

• Like 2

I believe there can be a film at the waterline which they sometimes seem to feed on.

Plus, they inhabit tidal areas and are at home above the waterline (at least for awhile).  Just keep an eye on the floor for adventure seekers.  They can seal themselves in their shells to avoid drying up for a couple of days.  If you find one, just plop it back into your tank (they tend to be fine)

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
24 minutes ago, seabass said:

Plus, they inhabit tidal areas and are at home above the waterline (at least for awhile)

I found most of them in shallow areas at low tide.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis

My LTA moved again, the last place it was wasn't so bad from an esthetic point of view, at least better than in the back were I couldn't see it, but now it's at the other end of the tank, in a cave where it doesn't get much light. I'm expecting it to move again. Also, there are corals it can hurt nearby.20221219_135152.thumb.jpg.5394aeeefbfccee89fe74cad4b28f4db.jpg

The new sillicate remover DI cartridge seems to do the expected work because diatoms on the sandbed have reduce by over 50%. I'm guessing that still a month or two and it won't be such of a problem anymore. 

• Like 2
  • Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)