ReefCleaners.org

1 hour ago, Kindanewtothis said:

So say the coral beauty is even more reef safe?

I've read that too.  I'm planning on adding one to my reef tank (more because they are cheaper than anything).  I'm not sure how much more safe it really is.  All of the dwarf angels have a reputation for coral nipping, but Flame Angels and Coral Beautys seem to have the best reputations.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, seabass said:

I've read that too.  I'm planning on adding one to my reef tank (more because they are cheaper than anything).  I'm not sure how much more safe it really is.  All of the dwarf angels have a reputation for coral nipping, but Flame Angels and Coral Beautys seem to have the best reputations.

It's a hit-or-miss, unfortunately. I *think if you keep the angel well-fed, it wouldn't go after the corals, but they do still take a nip here and there. More out of curiosity, I believe.

I've been dreaming of keeping a flame for a long time in this hobby, but prices are crazily high over here for this fish. My LFS has 2 beautiful specimens in full-blown frag tanks packed with various types of corals, and they don't touch them. 

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis
On 10/9/2022 at 10:31 AM, Kindanewtothis said:

No NoPox since 2022-09-22. The bacterial bloom is cleared. Will not be dosing it again, I'm going the regular water changes way... more work but easier and I suppose also better for all that it replenish.

No3 24.9

Po4 0.10

dKH 10.4 

I'm a bit surprise by the nitrate test result of today. All I did is 2 water changes (15 gallons and about a week after 20 gallons). That doesn't explain going from 24.9 to 12.0.

Skimmer catching on? The refugium ?

1 hour ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I'm a bit surprise by the nitrate test result of today. All I did is 2 water changes (15 gallons and about a week after 20 gallons). That doesn't explain going from 24.9 to 12.0.

Skimmer catching on? The refugium ?

Hard to say for sure:  water changes, testing deviation, the carbon you dosed, cyanobacteria, and fuge.  Really anything photosynthetic will consume nitrate.  Whatever the reason, it's nice that it has come down.  Just make sure it doesn't bottom out.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis

Anemone is still mostly blue, I suppose that when it will be bigger it's going to have a nice look with larger tentacles.

20221017_145646.thumb.jpg.40763a44b7f557bb344e339c2d456dab.jpg

Urchin doing its teleportation trick

20221017_145721.thumb.jpg.a036bbbc4eac38ec19c4f706472633ae.jpg

hammer colony (yeah I know... bad history with euphyllias but they were only 10$ by head). It's coming back to life after the bacterial bloom.20221017_145711.thumb.jpg.7e55f2fb8330b14691d46e4cb795123d.jpg

Same for the Kenya tree (free) and candy canes (5$ by head).

20221017_145657.thumb.jpg.b4019d274ebcc518bdff15830ee4054e.jpg

• Like 1

I did the tank transfer method described on the humblefish website for a flame angel in 10gal tanks almost two years ago and the fish is still doing great in my main DT. Be sure to offer algae as well as plenty of hiding places.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis
10 hours ago, chipz said:

I did the tank transfer method described on the humblefish website for a flame angel in 10gal tanks almost two years ago and the fish is still doing great in my main DT. Be sure to offer algae as well as plenty of hiding places.

just looked at the video and you need two tanks for it.

I'm more planning on just setting up a 10g with an hob filter, no rocks or sand, some hiding places, a heater and a wave pump.

Let the flame in there for 40 days and if everything seems alright put it in the Dt.

On 10/19/2022 at 7:38 AM, Kindanewtothis said:

I'm more planning on just setting up a 10g with an hob filter, no rocks or sand, some hiding places, a heater and a wave pump.  Let the flame in there for 40 days and if everything seems alright put it in the Dt.

Remember that without a biofilter, ammonia can accumulate.

Kindanewtothis
2 hours ago, seabass said:

Remember that without a biofilter, ammonia can accumulate.

Is was planning on taking biomedia from the sump and place it in the hob filter. Maybe I could take some small rocks from the display too. Do you think it would be enough?

Seachem prime maybe?

Definitely get an ammonia alert badge and plan to keep lots of saltwater on hand so that you can do a big water change if you need to.

IMHO if you have the room for a second 10 gallon tank, consider the hybrid TTM. It's a PITA and a ton of work, but only for two weeks and you don't have to worry about ammonia as much because you move the fish to the other tank before the ammonia levels have time to go up. 

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Is was planning on taking biomedia from the sump and place it in the hob filter. Maybe I could take some small rocks from the display too. Do you think it would be enough?

The bio-media will help.  Fully cured live rock will help too, but it might prevent you from using certain parasite treatments should you need them.  You might even decide to add BIO-spira (or another nitrifying bacteria culture).

Take a look at the following link, it might give you some ideas:

https://humble.fish/community/index.php?threads/quarantine.2/

• Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Seachem prime maybe?

Apparently Prime is just a dechlorinator.  It doesn't make NH3 any less prevalent or toxic (basically an unsupported claim).

Kindanewtothis

So... there is a flame angel at my LFS...

It's eating and has been there 3 weeks now.

Price is higher than it used to (189$ vs 125$).

Got ammonia alert and MicroBacter7.

Setting up the Qt using a water change tonight.

Any use for activated carbon in the hob filter?

3 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Any use for activated carbon in the hob filter?

It won't help with ammonia, but will help with the water quality in general.  Should be fine to use.

• Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA) - now with new flame angelfish !
Kindanewtothis
3 hours ago, seabass said:

Nice!  Looks good.

They finally had 2 at my lfs so I was able to choose (easy choise bright and swimming vs pale and hiding).

My wallet almost decided however... because they also had a small coral beauty for less than half the price.

I had to place rock in the pvc elbow because it was moving around.

I have fed it and it is eating normally.

• Like 3
  • Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)
Kindanewtothis
On 10/16/2022 at 4:41 PM, Kindanewtothis said:

No3 12

Po4 0.14

dKH 10.5

Ca 425

Mg 1260

No3 15.8

Po4 0.04 

dKH 9.6

Ca 375

Mg 1260

Dosed what was needed (Po4, a little KH, Ca and Mg).

Will test again soon.

Kindanewtothis
On 10/25/2022 at 9:51 AM, Kindanewtothis said:

No3 15.8

Po4 0.04 

dKH 9.6

Ca 375

Mg 1260

Dosed what was needed (Po4, a little KH, Ca and Mg).

Will test again soon.

Po4 0.07

dKH 10.1

Ca 425

Mg 1380 ( don't know what happened here, I was under the impression I dosed lightly)

Kindanewtothis

RIP Flame angelfish 

Yesterday it was eating and swimming all around. I was questionning to need to keep going with the quarantine. 

Went to feed it and it was upside down...

Ammonia alert badge still indicates safe.

20221030_113128.jpg

• Sad 4
  • Wow 1

OMG!  That's so strange.  Hard to say what went wrong: collection technique, some type of organ failure, just plain stress, disease, parasite, or combination of things. :unsure:

I'm really sorry to hear this.  But glad that you didn't lose all of your fish.  I guess it's why we quarantine.

• Like 2
  • Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)