inTank Media Baskets

Kindanewtothis

I have installed my old ATO to fill up my ATO reservoir. I have now a 5.5 gallons reservoir linked to a 5 gallons bucket. I feel like an engineer! 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's semi-empty tank...
Kindanewtothis

Here's what I learn regarding anemone:

You don't choose where it goes, it chooses itself,

Even if you let it be it might move for no obvious reason,

The tank must be anemone proof and a pump cannot be too high in the tank for an anemone to reach it,

If keep in mind these things, I should be able to keep an healthy anemone and to keep it alive.

I still want an anemone, and I want a large one.

Carpet ?

• Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's semi-empty tank... looking for large anemone recommendations

I'd stick with a LTA (it's easier to keep), then put a guard around the pump.  Also, the bacterial bloom or cyano (along with the move) might have convinced it to move.

Kindanewtothis
6 minutes ago, seabass said:

I'd stick with a LTA (it's easier to keep),

Good idea, I'll stick with what I have some experience with.

8 minutes ago, seabass said:

put a guard around the pump.

I have to look for a Diy design. The fish guard that comes with it is broken from when I tried to rescue the anemone. The Nero 3 is now set at 80 to 100% (random) and I gave more power to the return pump but I might have too much flow in the sump now. I guess the best would be a Nero 5 or a second Nero 3. They are discret and nem guards are available.

14 minutes ago, seabass said:

Also, the bacterial bloom or cyano (along with the move) might have convinced it to move

Probably, I messed up. I had use NoPox for a few days in the 50g before and it worked at the time (I had gha). I just wanted to lower my No3...

I'll be doing regular water changes for now on. Also will get ceramic biomedia (like in a fresh water filter) and fill the bottom of the refugium and maybe 2-3 inches in the first chamber.

On 10/9/2022 at 6:47 AM, Kindanewtothis said:

LTA moved out from the hole it went in and doesn't seems so bad this morning. Can't wait to see how it is with the lights on.

20221009_073930.jpg

Long time since I checked out this topic.  Tank has grown quite a bit.  Looking very nice.  You might want to look in the rocks a bit.  Looks like something odd is living in there. 

SASQUACH!

• Haha 3
15 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Also will get ceramic biomedia (like in a fresh water filter) and fill the bottom of the refugium and maybe 2-3 inches in the first chamber.

IMO, you have plenty of surface area for nitrifying bacteria.  Additional bio-media shouldn't be needed.  It'd be one more thing to have to keep clean.  But if you keep it clean, it won't do any harm.

Kindanewtothis
33 minutes ago, Jakesaw said:

Long time since I checked out this topic.  Tank has grown quite a bit.  Looking very nice.  You might want to look in the rocks a bit.  Looks like something odd is living in there. 

SASQUACH!

Yeah I saw his hairy foot after posting it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)
Kindanewtothis
10 minutes ago, Jakesaw said:

Is that Yellow tang a BIOTA captive bred fish?   I've been curious about them since Hawaii shut down the sale of their wild fish.  

Looks very heatlhy in pics.

It's a captive bred from my LFS. It was really pale when I got it but good food and vitamins and now it's bright yellow.

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

It's a captive bred from my LFS. It was really pale when I got it but good food and vitamins and now it's bright yellow.

Good to see. 

I've seen a few pics of the lesser colored captive bred photos online, and they didn't look all that impressive.  Yours has nice color.

• Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis
1 hour ago, Jakesaw said:

Good to see. 

I've seen a few pics of the lesser colored captive bred photos online, and they didn't look all that impressive.  Yours has nice color.

That like a week after I got it

20220217_135910.jpg

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis

New LTA arrived, it was all white (except the foot) at first but gain colours while acclimation. Then became white again when I placed it in the tank. Now (6 hours later) it's slowly gaining colors again. I hope I did not went too fast with acclimation. Can wait for it to fully open so I can see its size (they said 4 to 8 inches)

20221013_114118.jpg

20221013_182429.jpg

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
1 hour ago, seabass said:

I'm interested in how it might color up.

Me too, it was sold as an "ultra" and was red on the picture...

Kindanewtothis
On 3/21/2022 at 1:49 PM, Kindanewtothis said:

I feel the same. My theory is that the flame started to eat the frogspawn once it started dying. But the flame really was eating it.

Thinking about giving a flame angel another chance.

Kindanewtothis
12 hours ago, seabass said:

They are nice fish.  But you know the risk.  Good luck.

Still thinking about this. But it feels like the next best thing since I cannot add another tang. Beautiful fish, not too small, swims a lot.

Some say the coral beauty is even more reef safe?

Edited by Kindanewtothis
  • Like 1
  • Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)