Innovative Marine Aquariums

1 minute ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Yeah, one of those would be alright.  They are about the size of a golf ball and stay pretty small.  The biggest issue that I had with them was they grab "trash" from your sand bed and carry it around on top of them (I suppose as camouflage).  This includes loose corals, or even polyps that it can pull from the colony.

People have even made urchin hats which use this tendency to wear stuff: 

• Haha 1
Kindanewtothis
48 minutes ago, seabass said:

Yeah, one of those would be alright.  They are about the size of a golf ball and stay pretty small.  The biggest issue that I had with them was they grab "trash" from your sand bed and carry it around on top of them (I suppose as camouflage).  This includes loose corals, or even polyps that it can pull from the colony.

People have even made urchin hats which use this tendency to wear stuff: 

There is a sale and they are out of stock, but still have halloween urchin that looks good. I understand ther become a bit bigger. Are they okay?

Could have clogged early due to the transfer.  Plus, depending on what you are using, they might have some socks which are more coarse (which shouldn't clog so fast).

Kindanewtothis
On 9/17/2022 at 2:56 PM, seabass said:

Could have clogged early due to the transfer

Yeah I think it's the sand.

On 9/17/2022 at 2:56 PM, seabass said:

Plus, depending on what you are using, they might have some socks which are more coarse (which shouldn't clog so fast)

First they are too long (4x12) and deeper than the sump, my bad.

Also these are 100 microns... I have aimed too high.

Will get 4x8 200 microns socks...

Kindanewtothis

Since the last chamber is the one that lowers first, should I put the ATO sensors in that section of the sump (with the pump)?

Edit:nevermind... of course that's were it goes

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis

Some back-up is coming

Screenshot_20220917_210046.thumb.jpg.f4e261d174581961befa4f85e06fa0a7.jpg

It's will be here on wednesday... I hope, because after that it's one week of moose hunting so my gf would have to take care of it meaning going strait to the tank... They have always shipped on time in the past.

• Like 2

The Hairy Pincushion Urchin is also known as the Sea Egg, and the Priest-hat Urchin. It has five or ten double rows of white and red spines separated by spaces of red, purple, white or black. To camouflage itself, it often covers itself with rocks, sponges, shells, or algae. In addition to camouflage, this provides shade, and in some cases, a food source. These urchins work wonders in aquariums that suffer from filamentous algae infestation, consuming this undesirable algae quickly.

It will generally do well in an aquarium if provided with ample hiding places and a large area in which to move. It prefers an aquarium with live rock so that it can graze on algae and it will even eat Caulerpa sp.. It should be housed with nonaggressive fish. It is sensitive to high levels of copper-based medications. Poor water conditions will cause it to shed its spines and rapidly decline in health.

It is extremely difficult to breed in an aquarium with no distinguishing characteristics to help differentiate it from its mate.

If there is insufficient algae for it to graze on, the Hairy Pincushion Urchin should be fed dried seaweed.

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/594/pincushion-urchin-hairy?pcatid=594&c=497+530+594&s=ts&r=

Make sure there is some algae for it to eat, and try to keep nitrate levels low; I'd suggest maybe something like 10ppm.

Read the link.

If it's from your LFS, it should be a quick and easy transfer (temp acclimate and transfer).  If it was shipped, ammonia levels will be elevated and pH levels will be depressed.  Drip acclimation will relatively quickly increase pH levels (which in turn will elevate toxic NH3 levels).  Also, unless you are heating your drip acclimation bucket, the temp can quickly drop.

It's your call, drip acclimate if you feel that's better.

Kindanewtothis
10 hours ago, seabass said:

How's nitrate looking?  It was in the twenties.  Is it coming down any with NO3:PO4-X?

Forgot to post it No3 is now 18.

I'm gone hunting, will test again in a week but there will be no dosing of anything while I'm gone.

Kindanewtothis

Back from hunting... no moose this year...

Came back to a cyano problem, it was hurting a zoa frag. I have a manual removal job to do.

Complete testing is also due. 

Glass clean-up is due but the good news is that I have thousands of tisbe pods. My girlfriend overdosed phyto while I was gone. 

Canope is now removed. Egg crates are in place and fit perfectly. Hydra's flex arm are in place.

20220928_103659.jpg

• Like 2
  • Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)