ReefCleaners.org

Hi team PJanssen from back in the day

one aspect of your challenge and goal does indicate a rip clean however: tomont evacuation 

in reading Humblefish’s thread on why fallow periods can fail he directly mentions residing in the bed, insulated by waste which we’d be ripping out. I say let’s do it for that reason and even if one tomont survives and ich comes back needing ongoing suppression/management you are going to have one heck of a clean system. 90 gallons is huge man, huge, that will make a wonderful opening example for others to apply on much smaller nanos. its big effort

becoming super clean allows you to feed well and corals will put on mass after a deep clean, the purpose is to create zero invasion high action zones that eject all waste then clean protein is circulated back into the system. Like exercise but for a reef tank.

becoming clean through a disassembly cleaning means you can move the reef anywhere you want, rip cleaned surfaces skip cycle anywhere because no waste travels over. All the bacteria we need are solely on the rocks in the system, all else can be mass-cleaned.

rocks with corals attached can just be rinsed or swished in old tank water or saltwater, keeps their bacteria intact and we dont want bottle bac added for this job that facilitates doubt and we never use it in rip cleans at reef2reef. we want to show the community that bacteria on rocks are all we need and can be trusted to remain during the job. i give you my word the tank will not recycle if the rinse is clean.

-this isnt an invasion or dinos response; feel free to drain off and catch half your tank water for re use and just make half new water for the final assembly; saves time and money. ditch the last half of the water itll be cloudy as drain levels drop and youre catching and removing stuff.

folks with big reefs are tempted to vacuum out sand with water in the tank, i cant recommend that its not as safe as draining, catching clean water portion for holding, catching fish on way down, removing corals and rocks on way down to access fish, arriving at essentially a stripped tank with six inches of muddy water and only sand at the bottom awaiting total removal and external cleaning. this prevents detritus upwell from ever contacting sensitives

-when the tank is empty actually turn it on its side and rinse out the mud stuck to the walls and floor; we want cloudlessness when you pour stuff back in and ive seen dried wall gunk mess up a great sand rinse and show as haze water for the first few days. if we do this right, your tank is laser clear within one hour of reassembly. you can keep that fine coralline on the back wall if you want dont scrape it off and just mist it with saltwater to prevent drying while you clean the other walls off of adhered sand

-with that much fine coral in tow dont forget to re ramp your lights over one week. dont start full blast power in the rip cleaned tank, verified bleach prevention guaranteed. for the new water added, just match temp and salinity to the former water you dont need pH and calcium and alk detailing, its another reason we re ramp lights/ gives those new param changes time to even out over the next week.

-cover fish holding buckets ive seen jumpers before unexpectedly

-hand scrape warning!! i am seeing more actual human infections result from big job rip cleans. wear the thick dishwashing gloves if youre sensitive     

we saw three people get skin infections requiring trip to Dr., marine scrapes are potential vectors 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Pls take good pics of the disassembly, holdings, rinse and re assembly and we will make your set the very first for the nano-reef rip clean thread with this overall build thread as a detail reference link.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
8 hours ago, brandon429 said:

he had to go to the hospital er. The pics look like leprosy, this was caused by rock scrapes in removing two hundred pounds of 20 year old live rock. It was fear, man.

Jay and I thought he was going to die, or lose limbs, not a joke. wear the thick dishwashing gloves if youre sensitive     

Yeah, most of the bacteria in our systems aren't pathogenic, the ones which are however are far nastier -if they take-hold- than most people will ever otherwise come across. 

Honestly it's the slow burners which scare me the most, mycobacterium, pseudomonas, they can move so slowly there's no way to realize there's a problem in the first place.

• Like 4

Haha this will be good @brandon429 I've done partial rip cleans loads of times with just sand.. not removing rock or moving coral or fish.. this will by my first time, first disco..

I see you say I don't need a rip clean... But I like perfect tanks ...not loads of GHA or cyano it pissed me off and end up cleaning every day.. just ask @afcajax73 about my sand bed routine... He might say I need to go see a doctor 😅

The LFS is loving my attempt as well and looks forward seeing my results.. 

To mention... Look back on my build thread! I'm detailed and take advice, then respond to that advice... I take notes and try to share my experience....I take pictures... Like pictures of fish food floating pictures!😅! So you can absolutely bet I'll have, just before, before, before that, middle and 200 after pictures ,😅

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Bit delayed in starting.. I was thinking about having more water on hand so need to pick up another 25gal. That puts me at 50% new clean water.. 

I have however set up.the QT bin and got all my tools set up.. including a table to sit beside the tank while working so I dont need to bend up and down all day when rescaping.

On the Scape, I'm going with 2 tall pillers either side of the tank and a 1 short 1 in the middle 👍🏻

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Rip Clean / Rescape 

Pages 27 to 29 

Key Posts Index  

Tools checklist

Ich treatment 

• 25 gallon bucket for the QT (not really big enough but there is no room for anything larger)
  • 100 watt heater and fluval pump 
  • Salifert copper test kit 
  • Seachem Cupramine 
  • Daily small water changes for ammonia control

Rip clean and rescape 

• 4 x 5 gallon buckets to hold rock and inverts 
  • 2 x 5  gallon buckets for the sand rinse 
  • 50 gal fresh salt water 
  • Syphon 
  • White vinegar for cleaning kit 
  • 2 packs DD 2 part epoxy 
  • Fish nets 
  • Spray bottle for misting the GSP and coralline on the tank back wall

One by one the fish are coming out (chromis are easy)

PXL_20220220_123655167.thumb.jpg.a962f571c296707f57ed568c0c9eb9f3.jpg

3 of 5 chromis down and the royal gramma. 

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, brandon429 said:

Very organized, this will work well

Thanks.. down to waiting for the tang and a chromis left to enter the trap. So it looks like we will be rip cleaning tomorrow but I've not had to chase fish around a tank all day with a net. 👍🏻

• Like 2
6 hours ago, brandon429 said:

How’s it looking today, now that fish are in holding was wondering if the rip is proceeding 

Slowest job ever.. 1 chromis left but it won't trap so I need to pull the rock out while it's in... A little less controlled than I wanted but hay... Its one chromis. 

This very day all fish will be moved from the sump to holding hospital tank.  Then we are FINALLY ready! 

• Like 6
  • Murphs_Reef changed the title to murphs_reef 92G - retired, thanks guys