Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My clown learnt the hard way of what happens when you try to snack on a duncan. He had puffy lips this morning, and is now avoiding the coral like a plague. Hopefully the swelling will go down over time. Did the wrasse have any side effects from nipping your duncan? 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

My clown learnt the hard way of what happens when you try to snack on a duncan. He had puffy lips this morning, and is now avoiding the coral like a plague. Hopefully the swelling will go down over time. Did the wrasse have any side effects from nipping your duncan? 

Not that I can see.. he has gone at some.of the space invaders zoas (ripping the polyps right off!!) as well since then... And only a few days ago was a great community fish now swims on his own because the other fish are now scared to go near him. 

PXL_20220208_145526046.thumb.jpg.86fe32852397994f6fc7530eb8ebd6a2.jpg

• Sad 5
  • Wow 1

Round one of ich is definitely finished. No more spots, bit unfortunately lost the sixline which I still don't understand as it was last to the party and went down fast. 

I have a boy building me a custom fish trap so I can whip the fish out next week I to QT and hit them with copper for a couple months.. fallow the tank for 3 months, then when the GHA is in It's prime.. let the tang loose on it 👍🏼

• Like 6
5 minutes ago, Murphych said:

Round one of ich is definitely finished. No more spots, bit unfortunately lost the sixline which I still don't understand as it was last to the party and went down fast. 

I have a boy building me a custom fish trap so I can whip the fish out next week I to QT and hit them with copper for a couple months.. fallow the tank for 3 months, then when the GHA is in It's prime.. let the tang loose on it 👍🏼

Nothing worse than watching a whole community of fish die. I had that happen about a year ago, and it was devastating only survivor was a green chromis.

• Sad 7

Had a chat with cellar, they will talk th dusky Wrasse off me and QT it.. it's biter sweet. Love that bugger but after a year in the tank he's ALL ABOUT THE CORAL. we don't need that £3k ($2.4k) deep!

And I will need to get another 30 cerith now the dusky is in the sump,.maybe I'll donate 10 to @JachPot

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
18 hours ago, Murphych said:

Had a chat with cellar, they will talk th dusky Wrasse off me and QT it.. it's biter sweet. Love that bugger but after a year in the tank he's ALL ABOUT THE CORAL. we don't need that £3k ($2.4k) deep!

And I will need to get another 30 cerith now the dusky is in the sump,.maybe I'll donate 10 to @JachPot

I know a certain mantis that would love those snac..... ceriths 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thanks 1

Hmm think I'm limbering up to a full tank rest... Cyano has crept back in and what I failed to notice during ich distraction was brown jelly on all LPS, gold hammer is a goner.

Amazing the difference a few weeks makes eh? 

Mind you I've been looking to pull the sand for a while and rescape so this could be the catalyst for that.. 

Let's see what happens over the next week... Still can't get the tang or chalk goby, not even come close.. an empty tank will make it a pretty simple job 👍🏼

• Sad 6

I've been there before too.  Sometimes the hobby is more rewarding than others.  However, dealing with problems and a struggling tank can take a toll on your pocketbook, time, and general enjoyment of the hobby.  In the end, you have to do what makes you happy.

Lately, I've considered the cost to stock a tank; and I'm thinking that getting back into the hobby (if I were to ever leave) is becoming more cost prohibitive.  That sort of motivates me to power through whatever issue I might be having.

And with the cost of corals today, I've even considered dipping my toes back into the fragging business.  I have enough space and tanks to support a small captive grown setup at home.  I attempted a larger operation many years ago, but overhead and livestock problems made it a big money loser, and I had to close it down even before it really got going.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

I was right here with you the last six or so months with my big tank. I didn’t even want to look at it. Thankfully the fish never acted sick or depressed but I lost an obscene amount of money in corals. And have just now spent an obscene amount getting corals back in. I dearly hope I’m now to the point where my feng shui will be happy enough to stop adding to it, because my bank account and credit cards are crying. 

• Like 6

Yeah agreed. I think I'll let it sit as is today with the rock broken down on the sandbed. Back is in a bit of pain, but all coral is secure (albeit some in lower light areas than they would prefer). Tomorrow I'll remove the rock with no coral attached and then the rock with coral into the sump. 

Once cleared out the remaining fish can come out into QT. 

I'll then have the space to rescape.. thinking a long Island with space all around it, and away from the Rockwall I've always gone for. 

Hopefully in the next couple months all fish and coral are back to their former selves..

What a difference a couple weeks make from the high it was to a pile of broken up rock and ich ridden fish !

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Gearing up for a rescape. Going out to get 25gal so I can hold rock and use to replace a little in the DT of water and some 2 part epoxy as well as copper for the fish.. 

Will get the coral off the rock tomorrow and then the weekend to have some fun with shapes!   

What's the latest on scapes? What are people doing these days?? 

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Murphych said:

Gearing up for a rescape. Going out to get 25gal so I can hold rock and use to replace a little in the DT of water and some 2 part epoxy as well as copper for the fish.. 

Will get the coral off the rock tomorrow and then the weekend to have some fun with shapes!   

What's the latest on scapes? What are people doing these days?? 

Everyone seems to like the minimalist iwugami style suchstuffs and big branching scapes of glued rubble.

I'm personally fond of WWC's multiple ravines look, seems great for placement but needs big tanks.

Don't know advice wise, mine looks like someone kicked a bunch of rocks over with an outboard motor so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ok @brandon429 heres the job for tomorrow. Rip cleaning this 92g.. mainly because I have ich and the fish need to come out for copper therapy.... So using this as an opportunity to rip clean and rescape! Lots of cyano to take care of, so 2 birds 1 stone.. 

I have 25g new fresh salt water on standby.... Buckets for the rock and a holding tank for fish. We don't want the water out too long as I have GSP and lots of coralline in the back wall I don't want to loose....

all the sand will be out and rip clean Rita will be working on that while I get the fish out and rescape done!! 

when the sand is clean that will get dumped back in around the rock!!

first we need a beer to steady the nerves 🍻

PXL_20220218_182156280.thumb.jpg.d24fc386097271bd7e514513511d7d28.jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Murphs_Reef changed the title to murphs_reef 92G - retired, thanks guys