inTank Media Baskets

4 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Love all of your Lobos/Trachys/Scolys...And your torches too.  Wish I could pull the trigger and some. 

All four just lobos actually!  go spluuuurge! 😉

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Thought at least 1 was a Trachy.

Nah I'm a lobo sucker even though they're mean. For some reason I don't care for Trachys. No idea why. When I get a bigger tank I'll definitely add some scolys! 

• Like 1

So my Maroon Clowns mated and are watching over their recent clutch. 

Any advice on how to raise these tiny suckers? Would be awesome to raise and sell some aquacultured Lightning Maroon Clowns! 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Matteo said:

Any advice on how to raise these tiny suckers? Would be awesome to raise and sell some aquacultured Lightning Maroon Clowns! 

I know @seabass has tried a couple of times. Seems the biggest challenge was catching them at birth, and then having an adequate supply of food. Good luck! Pics and or video of the clutch would be nice

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Matteo said:

I have always heard to remove the eggs before they hatch... then you don’t have to track down tiny, little fish (especially if they hatch at night).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

I know @seabass has tried a couple of times. Seems the biggest challenge was catching them at birth, and then having an adequate supply of food. Good luck! Pics and or video of the clutch would be nice

I don't know that it's a common problem; but yeah, I had problems timing their hatching.  I'd stay up most of the night, then give up, only to check a few hours later with them all hatched (and gone).  It's really not supposed to be that tough.  Normally they are supposed to hatch shortly after lights out.

1 hour ago, Hami said:

I have always heard to remove the eggs before they hatch... then you don’t have to track down tiny, little fish (especially if they hatch at night).

I actually tried that too.  I must have messed up the aeration, because the eggs died before they hatched.  I figure the male knows how to care for the eggs better than me and an air line.  Now my clowns are laying their eggs on the back wall, so no moving that to a hatching tank.

You can get more information from my thread; however, Clownfishes, by Joyce D. Wilkerson (available as a Kindle ebook) is a must read if you want to raise clownfish fry.  It's a pretty easy and entertaining read; I highly recommend it.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone. I'll see if I can get some pics/video today. 

Hmmm sounds like a lot of work. Chances of them surviving in the main tank I assume I next to none. 

Just not sure if I wanna setup a breeding tank really. It'd be cheap but the food won't be... 

Hmmm 🤔

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Matteo said:

Chances of them surviving in the main tank I assume I next to none.

Unfortunately yes.  There would have to be a lot of breeding pods in your tank, as well as enough shelter to hide from predators (which includes just about everything).  Plus, they are prone to get filtered out or even stuck in a crevice.  Alas, a typical reef tank provides too many dangers and, normally, not enough food for clownfish larvae.

But think about it, it might be a fun project.  And at least with lightning maroons, you should be able to get your money back.  But turning a nice profit (breeding fish as a side hustle) can prove to be difficult.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, seabass said:

Unfortunately yes.  There would have to be a lot of breeding pods in your tank, as well as enough shelter to hide from predators (which includes just about everything).  Plus, they are prone to get filtered out or even stuck in a crevice.  Alas, a typical reef tank provides too many dangers and, normally, not enough food for clownfish larvae.

But think about it, it might be a fun project.  And at least with lightning maroons, you should be able to get your money back.  But turning a nice profit (breeding fish as a side hustle) can prove to be difficult.

And Maroon Clowns are harder to sell I think. Stores usually carry them regularly here too and in the lightning variety. 

So the batch never made it. Woke up one morning and they were gone no signs of anything really. Could just be a failed first attempt. 

In other news I think I'm going on week 3 no water change. I'm sorta seeing how long I can go....risky? 😂

All I do is wipe algae off the glass every other day but other than that everything is doing great! 

Haven't checked the fuge in probably over a month maybe two... Who knows what's back there 😳

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
9 minutes ago, Matteo said:

So the batch never made it. Woke up one morning and they were gone no signs of anything really. Could just be a failed first attempt. 

In other news I think I'm going on week 3 no water change. I'm sorta seeing how long I can go....risky? 😂

All I do is wipe algae off the glass every other day but other than that everything is doing great! 

Haven't checked the fuge in probably over a month maybe two... Who knows what's back there 😳

My Evo is on a month now. I just change out the carbon and phosguard, and the tank is in a fairly good nutrient uptake cycle. It’s been super nice being able to save water.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, ECLS Reefer said:

My Evo is on a month now. I just change out the carbon and phosguard, and the tank is in a fairly good nutrient uptake cycle. It’s been super nice being able to save water.

Totally! I just buy ro water for ato and simply dose with my stuff and so far so good! Just checked the fuge and there's like no cheato 👀 not sure why. 

Guess I gotta re-up!

I basically use the same. Carbon and phosguard (occasionally) I also run purigen love that stuff. 

• Like 3

It's been a while and I'm getting caught up on things... your tank is looking amazing, love all the lobos!

On 11/24/2020 at 1:15 AM, Matteo said:

Got my rainbow aussie Lobo back! 

P1040189.thumb.jpg.adb6a4c1eead23d227b02fe43b2f6c43.jpg

This one looks like the exact same color pattern as mine, so cool!

DSC02108.thumb.jpg.b5cc028b58f802388d2924838f754c7b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 2
12 minutes ago, lizzyann said:

It's been a while and I'm getting caught up on things... your tank is looking amazing, love all the lobos!

This one looks like the exact same color pattern as mine, so cool!

DSC02108.thumb.jpg.b5cc028b58f802388d2924838f754c7b.jpg

Oh neat! Was it sold to you as an aussie Rainbow? 

1 hour ago, Matteo said:

This reminds me, I really should do a waterchange on my 40 breeder, I think I've only done one since setting it up in august... 
But ya'll have more, and bigger, fish.

• Wow 1
Just now, lizzyann said:

It was labeled "Aussie Lobed Brain Coral" on diver's den. But I got it because it seemed like it constituted rainbow to me! 😝

Nice! My lfs had it. What a gem of a lobo! 

• Like 1